Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast
Results 211 to 225 of 230

Thread: Ronald Torreyes

  1. #211
    Resident PED Expert nemesis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Centerville, Ohio
    Posts
    1,420

    Re: Ronald Torreyes

    Even if Raton goes 0 for his next 64, he still would be hitting .280.

    He has 56 hits in 33 games at Dayton.

    He has 23 hits in his last 44 AB's.

    Plus 2 walks.

    He has only struck out TWICE in 102 AB's vs RHP...

    In. Freaking. Sane.

    I don't care if the kid ever makes the majors. He is just so much fun to watch in person and it almost makes me giddy to check his numbers from the games.
    If you can't be a good example... then you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

    Nothing tastes as good as being fit feels...

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #212
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    97

    Re: Ronald Torreyes

    Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    Even if Raton goes 0 for his next 64, he still would be hitting .280.

    He has 56 hits in 33 games at Dayton.

    He has 23 hits in his last 44 AB's.

    Plus 2 walks.

    He has only struck out TWICE in 102 AB's vs RHP...

    In. Freaking. Sane.

    I don't care if the kid ever makes the majors. He is just so much fun to watch in person and it almost makes me giddy to check his numbers from the games.
    I don't see how this guy doesn't make the majors at some point, unless he somehow loses weight over the next 3-4 years.

    Incredible defense alone gets him a shot at the big show.

  4. #213
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,705

    Re: Ronald Torreyes

    nemesis and partisan: Obviously, you guys have watched him in person quite a bit. Last year, we got rave reviews about Torreyes' defense from redsof72, but we haven't heard much this year. Can you elaborate? My sense is that he's very sound fundamentally. Does it go beyond that? Quick hands? Decent arm? Good range? Acrobatic? Reliable? As they say, give us a full report.

  5. #214
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    97

    Re: Ronald Torreyes

    Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    nemesis and partisan: Obviously, you guys have watched him in person quite a bit. Last year, we got rave reviews about Torreyes' defense from redsof72, but we haven't heard much this year. Can you elaborate? My sense is that he's very sound fundamentally. Does it go beyond that? Quick hands? Decent arm? Good range? Acrobatic? Reliable? As they say, give us a full report.
    Quick hands and feet, with pretty good range based on the small sample size I've seen. Very accurate arm, although I haven't witnessed any plays that required much arm strength. I think scouting reports that say his defensive tool is superior to his bat may be accurate.

    Gut reaction is that he has the same defensively capabilities as Hamilton except arm strength (but I can't say that definitively).

  6. #215
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    979

    Re: Ronald Torreyes

    He has not made those same incredible diving plays this year that he made in 10. But very steady, solid still. No coincidence team started winning when he got here. I am waiting for someone to say a guy hitting .412 does not walk enough. Everything about the kid is first rate. Scouts still unsure how size will play out. Will be fun to find out. 22-9. He and Hamilton are making it happen with assists from Lutz, D'Anna, Barnhart, and the pitchers.

  7. #216
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,447

    Re: Ronald Torreyes

    Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    He has not made those same incredible diving plays this year that he made in 10. But very steady, solid still. No coincidence team started winning when he got here. I am waiting for someone to say a guy hitting .412 does not walk enough. Everything about the kid is first rate. Scouts still unsure how size will play out. Will be fun to find out. 22-9. He and Hamilton are making it happen with assists from Lutz, D'Anna, Barnhart, and the pitchers.
    Let me know if someone starts talking about him not walking enough. I will talk their ear off all day about it. And I am a big proponent of walking, but there is more than one way to skin a cat when it comes to productive offense.

  8. #217
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    97

    Re: Ronald Torreyes

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Let me know if someone starts talking about him not walking enough. I will talk their ear off all day about it. And I am a big proponent of walking, but there is more than one way to skin a cat when it comes to productive offense.
    Couldn't agree more. The kid doesn't draw walks because he knows he can hit the pitches they throw him. Give me all the players you can find with that low of a strikeout rate and I'll be a happy camper.

  9. #218
    Member mdccclxix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Crown
    Posts
    3,779

    Re: Ronald Torreyes

    I have to ask, not to kill the buzz, but is this kid a legit 18 years old? This is nuts!
    Unofficial Johnny Cueto Cy Young Campaign President For Reds Fans by a Reds Fan
    Johnny Cueto's Next Start:
    AUGUST 20, 7:15 PM ET @ Busch Stadium
    MORTAL COMBAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  10. #219
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    97

    Re: Ronald Torreyes

    Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    I have to ask, not to kill the buzz, but is this kid a legit 18 years old? This is nuts!
    Could be younger I guess.

  11. #220
    Member RedLegsToday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Fairfield, OH
    Posts
    596

    Re: Ronald Torreyes

    I have to ask, not to kill the buzz, but is this kid a legit 18 years old? This is nuts!
    Well, he looks like he's about 14, so, I'm going to say it is legit.

  12. #221
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    979

    Re: Ronald Torreyes

    Agreed that he looks younger than 18 if anything. He could pass for 16 pretty easy.

  13. #222
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    8,374

    Re: Ronald Torreyes

    I posted this question the other day, but at what point do you promote Torreyes? I know he's only been here in Dayton for a short while, but it is ABUNDANTLY clear that he's too good for this league. Without a doubt. I've always subscribed to the philosophy of "Coddle thy pitchers, challenge thy hitters", and this seems to be spot on for Ronald. Time for a bump. He might be a prime candidate to fast track IMO.

    Also, where do people think he'll end up sticking positionally? He's played 2nd mostly this season, but he's also been at third and short as well. I'm guessing 2nd, but is there a reason he couldn't be a SS or 3b?
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 07-28-2011 at 11:17 AM.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

  14. #223
    Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Loveland, OH
    Posts
    3,047

    Re: Ronald Torreyes

    Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I posted this question the other day, but at what point do you promote Torreyes? I know he's only been here in Dayton for a short while, but it is ABUNDANTLY clear that he's too good for this league. Without a doubt. I've always subscribed to the philosophy of "Coddle thy pitchers, challenge thy hitters", and this seems to be spot on for Ronald. Time for a bump. He might be a prime candidate to fast track IMO.

    Also, where do people think he'll end up sticking positionally? He's played 2nd mostly this season, but he's also been at third and short as well. I'm guessing 2nd, but is there a reason he couldn't be a SS or 3b?
    Completely agree about challenging your hitters and coddling your pitchers.

    Lohman wasn't setting the world on fire at Dayton and still got the bump to Bakersfield. If it wasn't for my interest in catching a game in Dayton sometime soon, I would definitely want to see them flipped.

    And to your point about Torreyes trying out shortstop, Greene and him could take turns playing shortstop and second base. That actually seems like a pretty good solution to figure out if either of them can hit at that level (which Greene's recent streak seems to prove he can) and whether they are viable second baseman and/or shortstops.

  15. #224
    Resident PED Expert nemesis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Centerville, Ohio
    Posts
    1,420

    Re: Ronald Torreyes

    Yeah. If he is lying about his age, it would be under not over. But with all the international experiance he has, I'm guessing there is no questions about it.

    His defensive range is solid. Plays very quick to the ball. Turns a nice Dp. Played 3B for the U18 Venezuela team. So his arm has to be decent.

    Yeah his walk rate is never going to be an issue because he is probably a 70 or better with his hit tool. Hits balls everywhere. Has no weakness that I've seen against any pitch or pitcher type. Just takes what's given to him.
    If you can't be a good example... then you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

    Nothing tastes as good as being fit feels...

  16. #225
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Bedford, KY
    Posts
    8,992

    Re: Ronald Torreyes

    His range at 2B, his instincts, and his arm accuracy make it his best position.

    Could he play SS? IMO, passably. Good 'nuff.

    He might not have the arm for the hot corner. (And you'd be wasting his range.)

    As of now, he's Brandon Phillips-ish defensively (better baseball IQ, more focused, less arm, same range, better accuracy) and good enough to play in the major leagues. Offensively, we'll see. He's got a plus hit tool (IMO) with above average power and speed.

    Problem is, what happens in moving him? Rodriguez needs more time in AA and has a very nice pedigree of his own. And Brodie Greene is going for an 800+ OPS in High A as a 2B/ SS as a 23-year-old, not to mention DiDi Gregorious, who's also pushing an 800 OPS (as a 21-year-old). None of these guys are worthy of pushing up right now aside from Torreyes, but all are prospects.

    If Torreyes continues to hit at this level, perhaps the Reds consider skipping him above High A next season and see how he responds to AA? That would push him ahead of either Greene or Gregorious (likely the younger) and just behind H. Rodriguez.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25