Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Latin signees

Latin signees

I think a couple years ago we signed a couple of teenagers out of Latin America that were supposed to be really big deals. I can't remember any specific names but I figured someone here could refresh my memory and let me know where these guys are now and how they are progressing. Obviously they are both still very young.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Latin signees

Juan Duran and Yorman Rodriguez. From what I can see Duran hasn't been doing too well but Yorman has been impressive. I'll let someone who knows what they are talking about tell you that for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanInBama View Post
    I think a couple years ago we signed a couple of teenagers out of Latin America that were supposed to be really big deals. I can't remember any specific names but I figured someone here could refresh my memory and let me know where these guys are now and how they are progressing. Obviously they are both still very young.
    The Reds have made several noteworthy signings in Latin America, but you're probably referencing Juan Duran and Yorman Rodriguez.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...08/265719.html
    Juan Duran is a huge Dominican (6'5") with enormous power potential, but he has struggled in rookie ball for Billings with a BA/OBP/SLG/OPS line of .220/.312/.341/.653. Still, he's only 18 years old, so he has plenty of time to put things together.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=1557
    Yorman Rodriguez has been significantly more exciting. He's a speedster with great bat speed who won't turn 18 for another couple weeks. In the same league as Duran, his line is .337/.337/.477/.814. Unfortunately, he has a lot to work on in terms of plate discipline.

At 18 and in Billings, I'd think they are playing against a lot of guys just coming out of college, correct? I can see how there would be issues. Thanks for the news.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanInBama View Post
    At 18 and in Billings, I'd think they are playing against a lot of guys just coming out of college, correct? I can see how there would be issues. Thanks for the news.
    That's correct. The average player in the league is 21 years old.

Formerly Farsighted Fan sabometrics's Avatar

Isn't Duran more 6'6 or 6'7 than he is 6'5? I think I've read here that he's almost getting too big. Anyways about him, his numbers are deceptive. He had an appalling June. Batted about .100. Since July started his numbers are respectable. Still just 18, there's no reason to be disappointed at where he stands develop-mentally. The way I look at it he still has to be getting comfortable in his own body after growing that much the last couple of years.
    "He looked like a surfer kid from SoCal," manager Dusty Baker says. "He didn't say much, but you could tell he was cool."

Sizes of athletes are usually exaggerated, but Juan Duran probably grew into a legit 6'6" now. Although it was a concern, it's expected that he won't grow anymore.

Turn Off Ads?