Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Can Bruce play in center??

Re: Can Bruce play in center??

I wish somebody would help Jay find his power.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    As bad as Stubbs has been Bruce has been mre frustrating. They're both really hurting this team on a nightly basis and if we continually get no run production from these two former 1st round picks things are going to continue to deteriorate for our team. Bruce isn't even going to hit 15 HR or drive in 60 runs. He has been a colossal bust thus far. Stubbs just needs to make more frequent contact. When he has done that in spells he has displayed a lot more power and production then Jay Hype.
    Have you ever thought about changing your user name?

I have no problem with the production of Drew Stubbs or Jay Bruce so far this year. Do I wish it was larger? Of course, but I wish that of every player, including Joey Votto and Arthur Rhodes.

I also think the Reds would be in the playoffs every year if they got similar production from every first round draft pick.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    I have no problem with the production of Drew Stubbs or Jay Bruce so far this year. Do I wish it was larger? Of course, but I wish that of every player, including Joey Votto and Arthur Rhodes.
    Spoken like the GM of a small-market team in MLB that has not sniffed the playoffs in 15 years.

Two months to play and you are one game out of 1st place. A chance to make the playoffs for the 1st time in 15 years. You need to do something to help this team. CF and RF are two spots that need help. Both are young and can help in the future; therefore, you do not unload them. Try to get a decent bat that is available for one or two of your young arms. 15 YEARS! There are probably a lot fo people on this board that hardly/cannot remember the last playoff appearance. Stubbs and Bruce are hurting this team (there I said it).

Bruce and Stubbs have time to get better. I for one do not have many years left on this earth to wait for my fav team to make a post-season appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    Bruce is just as much a problem as Stubbs right now.
    Totally agree with that statement. Bruce is leaving as many runners on as Stubbs is. I just have to keep telling myself Bruce is only 23 and Stubbs is about that same age.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Bruce, could probably play center. Do I want him to? No. Just bring up Chris Dickerson mix him into the lineup. If Dickerson can get on base like a leadoff hitter it would certainly help.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

I love when the Reds lose two game in a row, the whole team should be sent to AAA, and we should trade for other players. Don't get too high with the highs, or low with the lows people. Check out the winning %, and where we sit in the standings.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Bruce and Stubbs have time to get better. I for one do not have many years left on this earth to wait for my fav team to make a post-season appearance.
    Bruce and Stubbs are extremely underrated.

Sure they aren't consitently tearing the cover off the ball, but their contribution to team defense is immense.

Our DER is in the top of the majors and is the main reason our pitching has improved so much from the start of the year.

Any improvement to those positions would have to be a substantially better hitter, to make up for the inevitable decline in defense.

I don't think many realize how good these players are playing defensively. And what a difference it makes.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    As bad as Stubbs has been Bruce has been mre frustrating. They're both really hurting this team on a nightly basis and if we continually get no run production from these two former 1st round picks things are going to continue to deteriorate for our team. Bruce isn't even going to hit 15 HR or drive in 60 runs. He has been a colossal bust thus far. Stubbs just needs to make more frequent contact. When he has done that in spells he has displayed a lot more power and production then Jay Hype.
    Major league average bat + phenomenal defense in RF = hurting the team on a nightly basis?

Really?

When he first came, up Bruce split time in center with Patterson, as KGJ was in right. He plays fine there. However, if you want to replace Stubbs with Nix, Nix plays a fine CF too.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Jay Bruce reminds me of Paul O'Neill.

That ended well for the Reds.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

at the moment the entire starting outfield is a problem. all have a sub .330 OBP.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    Jay Bruce reminds me of Paul O'Neill.

That ended well for the Reds.
    What? Roberto Kelly was an all-star in his first year. Whatever happened to that O'Neill fellow anyway?
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    What? Roberto Kelly was an all-star in his first year. Whatever happened to that O'Neill fellow anyway?
    He was on "Seinfeld" once but didn't do much otherwise.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

To answer the overall thread's question... I think if you slide Bruce over to center he instead of being the best right fielder in the national league is then in the middle of the pack to very good center fielder. He definitely has the range and arm to play the position but he just strikes me as a guy who grows old out in right field.

I've watched Stubbs in center quite a bit and he gets good jumps, and throws particularly well in center field. A lot of people talk about Bruce's arm and Stubbs' arm does not get enough talk. He is VERY underrated as a throwing CF.

So to answer the question, I think without a doubt if you need to; you can play Bruce in center. With the current make-up of this ballclub I would have trouble seeing a situation in which they'd move him from RF.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Turn Off Ads?