Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bronson: should he be signed to a long term contract?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Bronson: should he be signed to a long term contract?

Looking at the Bronson's stats and how he appears to be getting by on some guile and luck.

His k's per 9 innings are really low (4.3) and his BABIP is at .236. Imho, you don't sign a guy with these kinds of ratios to a long term contract. These are the kind of ratios involved with taking a flyer on a guy who you hope to be your 5th starter. A player with these kind of ratios is a 1 year deal.

Am i missing something here? Surely the brass doesn't sign this guy, correct? He's living on borrowed time and the clock's ticking fast....right?

Re: Bronson: should he be signed to a long term contract?

I was thinking about Bronson last night and began to worry about him. He is becoming more and more a junk ball pitcher. When he was first with the Reds he was striking out batters and his fast ball sat in the low 90's. Now he is relying on his curve and off speed stuff more than ever. I wonder if his 88ish fastball will keep losing velocity and he will need to rely on savvy rather than stuff.

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

I do not think that they should sign him long term at all. remember that Chapman will be waiting in the wings next year. So I say the Reds only should pick up the option if they believe Chapman needs more time. but If Chapman is ready, then the rotation of the feature is set.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

I wouldn't want to commit to anything long-term with Bronson.

Two years max.

I think he's a decent option for any rotation and have no issue with him getting picked up next year or even beyond. He's a mental pitcher, so his raw stuff isn't as important as for others. I think Arroyo could live up to a contract taking him into his 37-38 years, just not for 12 million. He may ask for 8-12, we'll see.

I'd feel much better going into next year with Arroyo than without, especially since there's always teams looking at getting him when the Reds are down.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

This thread could get ugly but I want him on the Reds until he shows me that he is toast. I really think he has the potential for a Jamie Moyer like career to some extent.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

We can exercise our option if he finishes as well as he has pitched this year.

Then make a discision next year.

It's premature to consider a longer term contract at this stage IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post

I agree completely.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I agree completely.
    Ditto from me also. If he has a spectatucular year next then you can think about it. Otherwise there is no need of even considering an LTC until then.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Why is it premature to consider it? I think it's premature to offer one but decisions have to be made for next season and they aren't all made after the last game of the season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Why is it premature to consider it? I think it's premature to offer one but decisions have to be made for next season and they aren't all made after the last game of the season.
    We are talking about the 2012 season and beyond.

I think how Arroyo pitches the rest of this season will determine whether we exercise our option on him for 2011.

How he pitches in 2011 will determine whether we offer him a contract for 2012.

Since we don't know how he will finish out the year, or how well he will pitch in 2011 (assuming we exercise our option), I think it very premature as the majority of the data that will be evaluated in making the decision is unknown at this time.

And if it's premature to offer one, why spend much time considering it?

I think we may well be talking about the same thing here anyway.

We are talking about the 2012 season and beyond.

I think how Arroyo pitches the rest of this season will determine whether we exercise our option on him for 2011.

How he pitches in 2011 will determine whether we offer him a contract for 2012.

Since we don't know how he will finish out the year, or how well he will pitch in 2011 (assuming we exercise our option), I think it very premature as the majority of the data that will be evaluated in making the decision is unknown at this time.

And if it's premature to offer one, why spend much time considering it?

I think we may well be talking about the same thing here anyway.
    I think that's how the Reds should approach it but I am amazed that Bronson doesn't see it that way. He thinks he's set up for a big payday however I think he ought to be open to a nice discount if the Reds extend him now because a lot can happen between now and 2012.

However I do not think the Reds need to extend him at any price. I think they should either take his option or pay his buyout, offer arbitration & take the draft picks. Right now I'm leaning towards picking up his option

I agree 100%. I think we can be pretty sure that Bronson Arroyo isn't going to improve from here on out. With the Reds' pitching depth, he probably won't be an upgrade over anyone in the rotation beyond next year anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    With the Reds' pitching depth, he [Bronson] probably won't be an upgrade over anyone in the rotation beyond next year anyway.
    Assuming Harang is let go (which is highly likely), I disagree.

That leaves you with
    Leake, Wood, Ceuto, Volquez, Bailey/Chapman.

I am willing to bet that at least one of those young pitchers underperforms Arroyo.. In fact, I am sure Bronson will be better than Leake next year.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Assuming Harang is let go (which is highly likely), I disagree.

That leaves you with
    Leake, Wood, Ceuto, Volquez, Bailey/Chapman.

I am willing to bet that at least one of those young pitchers underperforms Arroyo.. In fact, I am sure Bronson will be better than Leake next year.
    I'm talking about 2012 and beyond. Between the guys listed below, I think the Reds can find five pitchers who can perform equal to or better than a 35-year-old Bronson Arroyo at a much cheaper price. I could be way off on that, but if the money used to retain Arroyo beyond 2011 means having to part with arbitration eligible guys like Bruce/Cueto/Votto/Volquez/Masset/Hanigan, I'm going to flip a lid.

Mike Leake
    Travis Wood
    Johnny Cueto
    Edinson Volquez
    Homer Bailey
    Aroldis Chapman
    Daryl Thompson
    Matt Klinker
    Matt Maloney
    Sam LeCure
    Micah Owings
    Dallas Buck