Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ismael Guillon - more than a sleeper

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ismael Guillon - more than a sleeper

It sounds like Junior Arias isn't the only Reds prospect creating some buzz in the Arizona Summer League. Reds left handed pitcher Ismael Guillon has been pitching very well. Last night he struck out 10 batters in 4.2 innings and now has a 3.15 ERA with 12 BB/41 K in 34.1 innings and has yet to allow a home run. Guillon, as you may recall, was signed by the Reds as a 16-year old out of Venezuela in 2008 during that great International signing class by the Reds that also featured Yorman Rodriguez, Juan Duran, and Junior Arias.

Guillon originally signed for $625,000 but his contract was voided and he resigned a cheaper deal after it was determined he would need Tommy John surgery. The Reds tweaked Guillon's mechanics after the surgery and according to Keith Law, he impressed scouts with a 90-93 mph fastball and good changeup in Instructional League last October. Now at age 18 he's finally pitching in real games and pitching quite well.

I sent Kevin Goldstein of Baseball Prospectus a tweet asking him about Guillon and if he thought he was a potential sleeper.

OnBaseMachine: @Kevin_Goldstein You have any info on #Reds lefty Ismael Guillon? 3.15 ERA and 12 BB/41 K in 34 IP in Arizona. Potential sleeper?

Kevin_Goldstein: Good arm with projection. More than a sleeper.

http://twitter.com/Kevin_Goldstein

Interesting. It sounds like Goldstein thinks highly of him.

Re: Ismael Guillon - more than a sleeper

Yea this kid looks pretty good. thanks for the info.

As far as I'm concerned, he's the best Reds pitching prospect in all of Rookie League. Great to see him having early success at such a young age.

Guillon
    Rodriguez
    Duran
    Arias
    Torreyes
    Valor

6 bona fide prospects all not even legal adults yet. Good times!
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, he's the best Reds pitching prospect in all of Rookie League. Great to see him having early success at such a young age.
    I don't disagree that, by scouting reports, stuff, size, performance--all of those things--Guillon may well be the best prospect among the rookie pitchers. I think he might be a top-15 prospect in the organization. However, I don't think he has that universe all to himself. There are a few rookie pitchers (and I'm not including Billings) who may warrant being mentioned in the same sentence.

Here are some of the pertinent numbers (and frankly, numbers are only so pertinent at this stage of the game).

From the AZL Reds (IP...H...BB...K...ERA)

Ismael Guillion, 18, LH: 34.1...28...12...41...3.15
    Jonathan Correa, 19, RH: 28.1...28...6...37...2.22
    Mitchell Clarke, 19, LH: 23...23...4...23...2.35
    El'Hajj Muhammad, 19, RH: 16.1...14...9...23...2.20
    Radhames Quezada, 20, RH: 8...3...2...11...1.13
    (Quezada has pitched mainly for the DSL Reds.)

From the VSL Reds

Luis Gonzalez, 17, LH: 59...47...13...40...2.59
    Franderlin Romero, 19, RH: 55...51...21...36...2.29
    Alejandro Chacin, 17, RH: 28.1...17...11...23...1.59
    Orlando Chiquin, 20, RH: 25.1...18...12...10...1.07

From the DSL Reds

Elizier Beard, 19, RH: 39.1...28...12...22...1.37
    Abel De Los Santos, 18, LH: 47.1...31...21...40...2.09
    (De Los Santos has also hit 13 batters)
    Radhames Quezada, 20, RH: 43...32...17...29...2.09
    Jose Guzman, 18, RH: 30...17...22...31...2.10
    Carlos Ramos, 19, RH: 17.1...10...11...25...0.52

Beard, at 6-4, and Guzman, at 6-3, sport the same kind of size as Guillon, although neither is a lefty. But De Los Santos is. Gonzalez is, and he's younger. Chacin is also a very young 17 (just turned). Correa has a history of success, and a remarkable K:BB ratio for a teenager.

Just sayin'.

(If anybody cares to clean this up a bit, please be my guest.)
    Last edited by mace; 07-28-2010 at 12:15 AM.

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    (If anybody cares to clean this up a bit, please be my guest.)

Nope. You did a great job.

Correa is a personal favorite. If he hadn't been suspended for PED's at 17 we might have heard and seen more of him.

Clarke is another one who was stuck behind Tuttle, Cline and Johnson last year. This year he is behind Guillon, Correa and Quezada.

LH 6'2 and over 200lbs, has a great frame. Is a GB pitcher, and has a ton of control while keeping a 9 per K rate. Clarke excites me since in Canada he probably didn't have that much development or wear and tear.

You can add tonight's fine line to Correa's totals: 6 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 7 K. For the season, he now has 44 strikeouts and 7 walks. His ERA is 1.83.

Guillon had a dominant start last night: 6 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 11 K. That brings his overall numbers to: 57 IP, 39 H, 1 HR, 23 BB, 73 K, 3.32 ERA. 3.63 BB/9. 11.53 K/9. I think Guillon is in the discussion for the second best pitching prospect in the Reds organization.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Guillon had a dominant start last night: 6 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 11 K. That brings his overall numbers to: 57 IP, 39 H, 1 HR, 23 BB, 73 K, 3.32 ERA. 3.63 BB/9. 11.53 K/9. I think Guillon is in the discussion for the second best pitching prospect in the Reds organization.
    At the very worst he is 4th. At the very best, he is 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    At the very worst he is 4th. At the very best, he is 2nd.
    Including relievers?

If you include everybody except guys who have already pitched in the majors (Maloney, LeCure, Thompson, etc.), what would your top 5 be? Without studying the particulars, mine might go something like this:

1. Chapman
    2. Joseph
    3. Guillon
    4. Johnson
    5. Correa

And after that, it's a scrum:

6. Corcino
    7. Hotchkiss
    8. Lotzkar
    9. De Los Santos
    10. Guzman
    11. Gonzalez
    12. Robles
    13. Mugarian
    14. Tuttle
    15. Fairel
    16. Beard
    17. Ware
    18. Horst
    19. Cisco
    20. Freeman
    21. Ravin
    22. Peralta
    23. Ramos
    24. Thurman
    25. Muhammad

That represents quite a drop for Sulbaran and Klinker, though I haven't given up on either. I might have slighted Scott Carroll, but at this point don't see him as a big-leaguer.

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Including relievers?
    For starters, you absolutely did slight Carroll. You listed a kid in the Dominican Summer League who I just can't imagine you know a single thing about other than his numbers against kids that mostly should be in high school ahead of Carroll who is in AA with solid numbers and a real good fastball.

As for including relievers, I wasn't. My bad DJ, you probably jump in there too. But really, outside of Joseph, no one else is close.

1.087 WHIP
    3.18 K/BB ratio
    and a Lefty

I kinda like that.

There's a nice cluster of 18-20 year old arms -- Guillon, Lotzkar, Johnson, Correa, Tuttle, Cisco, Corcino, Muhammad, Mugarian, Clarke, P. Martinez... and I'm sure I'm missing some. The current rotation is nice and young, but the Reds will need this next wave to produce major league quality starting pitching once the current group ambles up to the big money table.

Has anyone actually seen him pitch? I am curious about how he looks as the reviews on him were kind of mixed as a 16yo signee. They were basically along the lines of good stuff for his age, but does not project to have much more based on body type and delivery.

He was at 88-92 with a good change as a 16yo. Has he added to that? Is his delivery funky?

Quote Originally Posted by krm1580 View Post
    Is his delivery funky?
    His delivery has been funky in the past. It is the main concern I have with him. If his delivery isn't clean up, is he going to hold up.

Well, like I said originally, I might have slighted Carroll. But my reasoning is this: When I see a 25-year-old in AA, and he strikes out roughly one batter every two innings, and, while pitching pretty well, he has never had a dominant kind of season, it just doesn't seem to me that the big leagues are in his future. There are exceptions, of course. Carroll is a good athlete, and he keeps the ball down, for the most part. He could become a serviceable journeyman. But I haven't seen enough upside there to place him high on a prospect list. That said, I hope that steady wins the race and he proves me wrong.

Now, as for the teenagers . . . Naturally, they're a very long way away from the big leagues. And in fact, many of them will do well to attain what a guy like Carroll already has. They're shots in the dark. But all the guys I listed have had impressive seasons, and the DSL guys, in particular, have competed well enough to have their team in the second round of the playoffs of a 34-team league. At this stage, while putting up imposing numbers, they haven't done anything to disqualify themselves as prospects. To me, that's their advantage. It may be a fleeting one, but these types of evaluations are inevitably snapshots.

At any rate, I don't purport that my rankings are any more than a remote, hastily presented, amateur opinion.

Turn Off Ads?