Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ervin promoted

Ervin promoted

He just retweeted a congrats on his promotion. Guess he's going to Dayton.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ervin promoted

https://twitter.com/Mr_MagicErvin

He has earned it with his July so far, but I still hope he starts at Bakersfield next year.

Gonna have to run down and check him out in person. He appears to be silly competent at every aspect of the game so far. What a steal.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Gonna have to run down and check him out in person. He appears to be silly competent at every aspect of the game so far. What a steal.
    He has actually been rather questionable defensively in right field.

I also want to note that the Billings Gazette didn't report about any promotion of Ervin in their article they published 10 minutes ago about the game today. Not saying he wasn't promoted, but they have been pretty good at knowing when a guy got promoted and having it in the story.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    He has actually been rather questionable defensively in right field.
    Way to rain on the parade Doug.

But seriously, he's playing right field? I didn't notice that. Is he questionable because he's not a right fielder?

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Way to rain on the parade Doug.

But seriously, he's playing right field? I didn't notice that. Is he questionable because he's not a right fielder?
    He has been splitting time in right and center since Reynoso is also there. He has reportedly looked good in center, but has had his problems in right. Misreading the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    He has been splitting time in right and center since Reynoso is also there. He has reportedly looked good in center, but has had his problems in right. Misreading the ball.
    Well if his biggest fault turns out to be his inability to play out of position adequately, I'll learn to live with it.

I hope he never plays a lot of RF in the Reds organization. The players always say it's easier to read the ball in CF, at least that's what Bruce was saying to Choo this past spring.

And the Reds have handled his assignments perfectly so far. Give him 6 weeks at Billings, ensure the franchise there gets to see the #1, and now move him to Dayton so that franchise can see him for at least a month.

Next year he can either start at Dayton or Bakersfield depending on how things go.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    And the Reds have handled his assignments perfectly so far. Give him 6 weeks at Billings, ensure the franchise there gets to see the #1, and now move him to Dayton so that franchise can see him for at least a month.

Next year he can either start at Dayton or Bakersfield depending on how things go.
    Assuming he doesn't totally flop in Dayton in August, I'd like to see him start next year in Bakersfield. For a college hitter who was a first round pick and MVP of the Cape Cod League, that's not an aggressive track at all.

Plus, it looks like we'll need a CF and/or possibly a LF as soon as possible. If Ervin could be big league ready sometime in 2015, that would be (unlikely but) great.

Does Hamilton hit RHP or LHP better? (Insert obligatory joke that he's not hitting either this year). Wonder if we could see some kind of double platoon while the rookies get their sea legs in 2015 and/or 2016:

Winker and Yorman in LF, Ervin and Hamilton in CF
    Go BLUE!!!

Ervin is a gamer. Could really be an engine starter in a few years.

Potential 2016 lineup:

Hamilton CF
    Ervin OF
    Votto 1b
    Rocco C
    Bruce RF
    Phillips 2b
    Frazier 3b
    Cozart SS

Bench:
    Winker LF (righty killer)
    SMB or other UT
    Yorman OF (lefty killer)
    Barnhardt C

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Assuming he doesn't totally flop in Dayton in August, I'd like to see him start next year in Bakersfield. For a college hitter who was a first round pick and MVP of the Cape Cod League, that's not an aggressive track at all.

Plus, it looks like we'll need a CF and/or possibly a LF as soon as possible. If Ervin could be big league ready sometime in 2015, that would be (unlikely but) great.

Does Hamilton hit RHP or LHP better? (Insert obligatory joke that he's not hitting either this year). Wonder if we could see some kind of double platoon while the rookies get their sea legs in 2015 and/or 2016:

Winker and Yorman in LF, Ervin and Hamilton in CF
    Ervin is on track for a late 2015 callup, maybe. 2016 seems very doable.

Hamilton was supposed to be a better right handed batter, but that's not worked well this year. His OPS is .611 with 3 walks to 33 strikeouts.

It turns out his promotion was a bit aggressive. I count on Hamilton being in AAA to start next year. I remind myself he's only 22 this year. If he's not up until 2015, that means he's still 24.

I like the thought of Winker, Yorman, Ervin and Hamilton contributing together. I think there will be room for all of them, with Winker maybe getting squeezed out like Alonso did do to lack of athleticism. Arias and others will also have their say.

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Potential 2016 lineup:

Phillips 2b
    Frazier 3b
    Cozart SS
    I like these guys, but each of them still starting in 2016, I hope not.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I like these guys, but each of them still starting in 2016, I hope not.
    Phillips will be for sure, barring some major injury. He is owed $13M that year and $14M in 2017.

Frazier is likely, although maybe SMB could be up by then to give him a run (or if Phillips loses a step or two and they decide to move him to 3B). I guess maybe if Frazier doesn't get his OPS back up to the .800 level in the next year or two he is shipped out and replaced by someone outside the organization. Although with how his glove has developed, even an OPS in the high .700s is acceptable, at least until he is deep into arbitration.

Cozart is the most questionable, although there is nothing currently in the system that would appear to be a threat to start in Cincy by 2016. Guys like Ty Washington and Avain Rachal are more 2B than SS, and like natural SS Cory Thompson (who is one of my personal favorites), probably won't be ready to be a big league starter by 2016, if ever. If Cozart is displaced, it will have to come from outside the organization, which of course is entirely plausible. My vote is still for a Homer Bailey for Jurickson Profar trade this offseason, which could make even more sense for Texas if Garza leaves in FA.
    Last edited by Benihana; 07-30-2013 at 11:01 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?