Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is the better talent Cueto or Greinke?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Greinke

33 67.35%
  • Cueto

16 32.65%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cueto or Greinke?

Cueto or Greinke?

For those who know. Just your honest opinion and if you'd care to share why you feel this way who is the better young arm? I have my own opinion but I'm having a debate with someone and would like others to shed a little light on the subject.

I should add that this is simply a talent/skill comparison, take their respective money, production etc. out of the equation.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cueto or Greinke?

Greinke, Cueto isn't bad though
    Go Gators!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

6 of the 14 votes so far think Cueto is better than Greinke? Really? Please explain yourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    6 of the 14 votes so far think Cueto is better than Greinke? Really? Please explain yourselves.
    Reds homers.
    Go Gators!

Let me check the number of wins before I weigh in...
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

9 Cueto voters and no one has commented on why so far.... are you guys just messing with me here?

Alright, alright... I was one of the Cueto voters.
    But I have to admit that it was purely involuntary reflex. I am just really high on JC right now. If some kind of number is needed to back it up I guess that would be the number 3. As in Cueto is (I believe) 3 years younger.

High five!

I voted for Greinke. Just all around better, peripherals trending in the right direction and good to begin with.

I'd honestly like to have both.

Their numbers are surprisingly somewhat comparable, but I am surprised as many have gone with Cueto thus far as they have.

Career numbers

FIP

Greinke (3.62)
    Cueto (4.52)

K/9

Greinke (7.64)
    Cueto (7.26)

BB/9

Greinke (2.22)
    Cueto (3.26)

HR/9

Greinke (0.95)
    Cueto (1.19)

GB/FB

Greinke (0.98)
    Cueto (1.01)

Greinke still gets him in just about every measure. I think Cueto has the kind of talent that he could be on Greinke's level soon, but right now, I'd have to conclude Greinke is the better talent.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I like them both very much and Greinke's overall numbers are better: most especially in K/BB. The case for Cueto would have to be projective and based on the pattern in his WHIPS: from 1.414 to 1.360 to 1.243 in his 24 year old season, one very similar to Greinke's in his 24 year old season: 1.275.

Doug can you rate these 2 on pure stuff, command and control on the 20/80 scale? My feeling on the subject is that it's not really that close. Cueto with above average stuff to perhaps plus in some areas Greinke with plus stuff and plus, plus in some areas. IMO if true that is a world of difference. Also don't agree Cueto can ever really get to his level of raw stuff with experience/age, to me that is just god given. Now the command/control of said pitches is something than can improve

Cueto - + fastball, + Change, Average to slightly above slider, above average command, average control.

Greinke - ++ fastball - ++ Slider - ++ command, + control, average to slightly above curve, average change up

What do you think?
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I like Cueto, but I don't think this is even close. Greinke's current FIP shows where his talent is. Kansas City has and has had a poor defense behind him and their long/middle relief has been really rough. That 64% LOB% is ridiculously and unsustainably low given his HR/rate.

In some ways, you could consider Cueto a Greinke light. Similar repertoire, but quite as good as stuff nor control/command.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I waffled for a bit, but I went with Cueto. My reasoning was the age factor. One of Cueto's comps at age 23 is, oddly enough, Zack Greinke. One of Greinke's comps at age 25 is Jose Rijo.

So my logic says that if I can have 2 years of Cueto (with Greinke numbers) before he turns into Rijo...then I take it. That was my logic, flawed or not.

Of course, I didn't try predicting who Greinke turns into in 2 years.

I think if you put grienke in the NL Central (which by the way is something I hope Walt is working on) then his numbers would separate him from Cueto. JC is a very very good young pitcher and I hope within the next year or two he can develop into a grienke like talent but hes not there just yet.

It's Greinke by a safe margin.

Turn Off Ads?