Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2011 MLB Season to Begin on a Friday to Avoid November World Series

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

2011 MLB Season to Begin on a Friday to Avoid November World Series

From USA Today:

Major League Baseball, trying to avoid having long underwear as part of its players' postseason apparel, is planning to start the 2011 season in earnest on Friday, April 1 - three days earlier than traditional Monday opener.

It would be the first time a majority of teams start the season on a Friday since 1905, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

The regular season would end Wednesday, Sept. 28 with playoffs opening on Sept. 30 or Oct. 1. The World Series is scheduled to start Wednesday, Oct. 19, a week earlier than the last two years. It would virtually assure the World Series would not be played in November.
    http://content.usatoday.com/communit...-a-wednesday/1

Not a huge fan of this, why change tradition? Is three days really going to make a big difference?

Re: 2011 MLB Season to Begin on a Friday to Avoid November World Series

Heard about this a couple of weeks ago and I absolutely hate this.

So will the Reds go back to being first?

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

I don't think its that big of a deal. This sport has to start to modernize a little bit. Not everything can be about tradition. World Series games in November is a bad idea, way worse than this imo.

I like it. Half the teams in baseball (and always Cincinnati) will have great "Opening Weekend" events. Here locally, the new "Opening Night" being on a Saturday will be a guaranteed sellout. Maybe even the Sunday afternoon game as well.

Kudos, Bud. You did something right.

Of course, "Opening Night" will probably also be 40 degrees too.

I don't think it's a bad idea, but the current pattern (for the Reds) is to schedule the day after opening day as an off day - I guess they'll stop that, but I bet all 3 games on the first weekend will be day games.

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    I like it. Half the teams in baseball (and always Cincinnati) will have great "Opening Weekend" events. Here locally, the new "Opening Night" being on a Saturday will be a guaranteed sellout. Maybe even the Sunday afternoon game as well.

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    I don't think it's a bad idea, but the current pattern (for the Reds) is to schedule the day after opening day as an off day - I guess they'll stop that
    I hope so. That first off day is torturous.
    My name is Cheesy Beef Burrito

That's actually an excellent point. You changed my mind pretty quickly. Instead of driving out and watching Opening Day and then driving home, I can now watch Opening Day and then probably stay for the second and third games as well.

Haven't read the entire thread yet, but I think you're on to something. Certainly it bumps up the 2nd game that is usually lightly attended. Overall, I'll miss the Monday tradition, but as long as our start is a day game and we're still always opening at home, I'm fine with it.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

I like it too. Series' start on Fridays, why not start the season on a Friday? "Traditions" are like old houses -- you can't designate every one of 'em a landmark.

If this eliminates the tradition off day after opening day, I'm all for it.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

If this change means I actually have a chance of getting tickets to Opening Day then I'm all for it. I'm 0-4 on opening day tickets the last few years, LOL
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

This is a great plan, the Monday start had lots of teams play a game then be off to get the rest of the schedule set. Blah.
    Go Gators!

I've always hated that Opening Day coincides with the NCAA men's basketball championship game. It always takes attention away from baseball and it's just too much for one day. I like the move.

I think they should also have April rosters be 28....and schedule a DH or 2. Do it also in September when rosters expand as well...schedule a DH or 2.

Turn Off Ads?