Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2011 MLB Season to Begin on a Friday to Avoid November World Series

Re: 2011 MLB Season to Begin on a Friday to Avoid November World Series

Something else to consider about starting the season on a Friday, if it starts on April 1, 2011, it will start on March 30, 2012 and March 29. 2013 unless they start on April 5. But then you get into the whole World Series in November thing, which I don't think is that big of a deal. As others have said, eliminate some offdays from the postseason schedule and you won't have to worry about it. But there are just as many people opposed to startting the season in March as there are those who oppose starting it in November.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    I tried to think of a reason not to like it and can't. Opening Day is just a different weekday (and isn't Friday a better day for a party than Monday?), then we roll right into games on Saturday and Sunday. Thumbs up.
    The only reason not to do this is the proverbial "we've always done it on a Monday".

I would love a Friday start to the season. Take Friday off and kick off your weekend early. I don't think Saturday has to be a night game. I've always hated the Tuesday off day after the opener. Let's hope this eliminates that nonsense. How many Openers have been postponed in this town? This will greatly enhance attendance for the 2nd and 3rd games.

Who knows, maybe the Reds could go back to being the first game again...

MLB should have done this a long time ago

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    One thing the players and owners can agree on is not scheduling doubleheaders. The players don't want them because it's 2 games in 1 day. The owners don't want them because they have to give up a home date. And, deep down, the fans don't want them because they would have to spend 7-10 hours at the ballpark.

I have wondered for quite some time why they didn't move the opener up to Friday or Saturday. Certainly would help the crowds to have another weekend on the schedule.
    As for the double headers I don't understand why the players would not want a few since every DH you play is going to result in another off day unless they move up the playoffs by a week. Also looks like the owners wouldn't mind scheduled day/night DH's like on a few Saturday's or Holiday Mondays. As a fan it would be perfect to watch an early afternoon game, go out and tailgate for a couple of hours or go to a nearby watering hole and then head back to watch the night cap. For the owners they still have two seperate gate's and probably bigger one's than they would have for the same two games being held on seperate nights.

Bravo, Bud. Bravo.

Love this move. As mentioned, this will be great for games No. 2 & 3 as far as crowds are concerned. Absolutely love this.

Now if they would work on spacing out the playoffs less, everything would be A-OK.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Ok the points you guys have made have swayed me. This seems like a good thing.

I actually think it is a good move to the more I think about it. Hopefully it eliminates the immediate off day they have had in the past. I also think it would be smart if that Saturday game was an afternoon game. With the weather in April it would be best to have that during the day and they could avoid going directly against the Final Four which would be that night.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    I actually think it is a good move to the more I think about it. Hopefully it eliminates the immediate off day they have had in the past. I also think it would be smart if that Saturday game was an afternoon game. With the weather in April it would be best to have that during the day and they could avoid going directly against the Final Four which would be that night.
    If the Reds play a day game for the opener and one on Saturday, they could have 3 straight day games to start the season. Not saying it's good or bad - I'm leaning towards good - but it's unusual. But if they did it like that, they could still do their new Opening Night thing they did this year on Monday or Tuesday. The Reds could sell some kind of package where you can get Opening Day tickets if you buy Saturday and Sunday tickets. The more I think about this the more I like it.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

From the Cincinnati Enquirer:

A Major League Baseball vice president said the situation remains “highly tentative” and nothing prevents the Reds from opening on another day. “It’s highly possible the Reds could open their season on that Thursday,” said Katy Feeney, vice president of scheduling.
    http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...VOaxEmMc/WI%3D

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar
    As long as it's a day game at home and I'm there, I'm fine with it.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Evidently it would throw a wrench in things at Findlay Market. They are closed on Monday but open the rest of the week.

http://nky.cincinnati.com/article/AB...-Please-don-t-
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Evidently it would throw a wrench in things at Findlay Market. They are closed on Monday but open the rest of the week.

I hardly think MLB should base their decisions effecting 30 teams on the Findlay Market...

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post

Wow, how whiny can that guy get? Yeesh.

Okay, I'm weird but I can't get all wrought up about the Reds opening at home very year. I still think they should consider playing the first week or so with warm-weather teams and dome teams having home stands.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

As long as there is no stupid day off the next day...that is fine.

Never understood why they went to this off day the next day gig.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    As long as there is no stupid day off the next day...that is fine.

Never understood why they went to this off day the next day gig.
    If we do indeed open up on Thursday you can bet that Friday will be an off day

Turn Off Ads?