Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 2011 MLB Season to Begin on a Friday to Avoid November World Series

Re: 2011 MLB Season to Begin on a Friday to Avoid November World Series

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    If we do indeed open up on Thursday you can bet that Friday will be an off day
    Good point. I can't see them having two teams open the season with a four-game set while the rest of the league plays three games. Would it be the first scheduled Friday off-day in MLB history?

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Evidently it would throw a wrench in things at Findlay Market. They are closed on Monday but open the rest of the week.

http://nky.cincinnati.com/article/AB...-Please-don-t-

http://www.sadtrombone.com/

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Why not have a 4 game series? At all points in the season, at least until the end, some teams have played a different number of games than others, so why not start with 1 4 game series?

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    Good point. I can't see them having two teams open the season with a four-game set while the rest of the league plays three games. Would it be the first scheduled Friday off-day in MLB history?

I could be wrong but I think the point is that the season in the future will start on April 1 so as to not bleed into november, not that opening day will always be on a Friday.

I think it's a great idea.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I could be wrong but I think the point is that the season in the future will start on April 1 so as to not bleed into november, not that opening day will always be on a Friday.

I think it's a great idea.
    I think you're wrong. I don't think they'll start the season on April 1 if it falls on a Sat, Tues, Wed. They'll start the season on a Fri or a Mon unless you include a token ESPN game beforehand.

Now ending the season is something I haven't seen brought up yet. If they start the season on a Fri, does that mean they'll end it on a weekday?

Now ending the season is something I haven't seen brought up yet. If they start the season on a Fri, does that mean they'll end it on a weekday?
    In the original article they say the season will end on a Wednesday.

My guess is the ridiculous off day we all loath so much will stick around.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    In the original article they say the season will end on a Wednesday.

My guess is the ridiculous off day we all loath so much will stick around.
    You think if they start on Friday they'll take Saturday off?

You think if they start on Friday they'll take Saturday off?
    Yep, or they start Thursday and take Friday off, I'm sure I'm read somewhere that the Reds like the off day because it gives them a "2nd chance" if there is a rain out.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Yep, or they start Thursday and take Friday off, I'm sure I'm read somewhere that the Reds like the off day because it gives them a "2nd chance" if there is a rain out.
    I don't see any scenario where they'd take Sat off. That leaves too much $$ on the table

Pretty much from 1975 through 1980....the Reds opened with 4 straight games/days at home. All against division rivals.
    It was in 1981...that this changed. They played only 2 games at home...vs the Phillies. Go back to starting the season with 4 games vs a division rival.

"So Fla Red"

Makes a ton of sense. Great idea. Either Thursday or Friday to begin the season with an opening weekend blowout. No way you would ever see a Friday or Saturday open date left on the table by the owners.

This is one of the few times I have to applaud Bud (if this actually comes to fruition).

--It gives you (presumably) three straight day games at a time when the weather is dicey and night games can be bone chilling.

--It makes for a festive weekend and, if I'm a business owner in DT, I throw out a lot of 'specials' for that weekend. Restaurants, hotels, shopping venues, etc. should all build something around this. Heck, even the City of Cincinnati should think about doing something on Fountain Square. There are a lot of people that normally don't come into Cincinnati until school is out that just might take a 'vacation day' for the kids and come to Cincinnati for Opening Day as well as another game or two. That should be a bit of an economic boost for the city and they should be pushing for this idea.

--I'm thinking that the first Monday will be an off day for teams in order to cover any makeup games due to bad weather. If that's the Monday of the NCAA basketball finals it makes even more sense.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Evidently it would throw a wrench in things at Findlay Market. They are closed on Monday but open the rest of the week.

http://nky.cincinnati.com/article/AB...-Please-don-t-
    Here's a solution, Gibbs: just close that Friday. As for the hangovers, some of us who go to the game on Mondays have to go to work on Tuesdays a bit under the weather. They can drink less beer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?