Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2011 MLB Season to Begin on a Friday to Avoid November World Series

Re: 2011 MLB Season to Begin on a Friday to Avoid November World Series

Quote Originally Posted by harangatang View Post
    I've always hated that Opening Day coincides with the NCAA men's basketball championship game. It always takes attention away from baseball and it's just too much for one day. I like the move.
    That was my first thought, exactly. Day two will still be overshadowed by the lead-up to the Final Four on Saturday, but at least Opening Day can have it's own day in the sun.

As for tradition, hasn't Opening Day been on a Wednesday at some point in the past?

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    I think they should also have April rosters be 28....and schedule a DH or 2. Do it also in September when rosters expand as well...schedule a DH or 2.
    They used to have expanded rosters - about 28 or so - up through the 1st month of the season or so.

Doubleheaders are like Milton Bradley. They are great when someone else has them/him but when you get them/him, not so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I like it. I've never understood why you'd want to kick off your season on a weeknight.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I like the season starting with a Friday-Saturday-Sunday series. Early April weather might make things dicey though.

But that works for this year so the season ends in October. What about future years? Is the day of Opening Day going to float around the week now instead of being anchored?
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I've quickly changed my mind on this. Immediate thought was of disgust, but now I see the merit of the Friday night/weekend start.

Now, if they would just get rid of that extra day off in some of the division series we'd be on our way.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    They used to have expanded rosters - about 28 or so - up through the 1st month of the season or so.

Doubleheaders are like Milton Bradley. They are great when someone else has them/him but when you get them/him, not so much.
    I have noticed a trend over the past few years that MLB is doing its best to eliminate double headers. If that means 2-3-4 hour rain delays and resuming games around 11 or 12 they don't care, as long as the game finishes. I don't see MLB or the unions wanting a couple of DH scheduled over the course of a season.

I like this move a great deal for all of the reasons previously mentioned. For once Bud is doing something right!

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I tried to think of a reason not to like it and can't. Opening Day is just a different weekday (and isn't Friday a better day for a party than Monday?), then we roll right into games on Saturday and Sunday. Thumbs up.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Expect to see more divisional matchups during the home openers to accommodate any rainout makeups since there is not likely to be an offday in that opening weekend.

They could also shorten the season with elimination of the All-Star Game and its associated break. That would be better than a DH where you see one normal game, then an odd game where its second stringers and tired regulars playing a lethargic game.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

They can't start baseball seasons soon enough for me.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

I'd like to see scheduled DH's on the big summer holidays - Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day. I'd also like to go back to the 152-game schedule but that ain't happening. Do both and you cut two weeks off the schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I have noticed a trend over the past few years that MLB is doing its best to eliminate double headers. If that means 2-3-4 hour rain delays and resuming games around 11 or 12 they don't care, as long as the game finishes. I don't see MLB or the unions wanting a couple of DH scheduled over the course of a season.

One thing the players and owners can agree on is not scheduling doubleheaders. The players don't want them because it's 2 games in 1 day. The owners don't want them because they have to give up a home date. And, deep down, the fans don't want them because they would have to spend 7-10 hours at the ballpark.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    the fans don't want them because they would have to spend 7-10 hours at the ballpark.
    Personally It's on my list of things I really want to do. But the majority of fans don't want to you're right I think. The casual fan definitely wouldn't want to.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    I like it. Half the teams in baseball (and always Cincinnati) will have great "Opening Weekend" events. Here locally, the new "Opening Night" being on a Saturday will be a guaranteed sellout. Maybe even the Sunday afternoon game as well.

Kudos, Bud. You did something right.
    Haven't read the entire thread yet, but I think you're on to something. Certainly it bumps up the 2nd game that is usually lightly attended. Overall, I'll miss the Monday tradition, but as long as our start is a day game and we're still always opening at home, I'm fine with it.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Turn Off Ads?