Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 28 of 28

Thread: Albert Pujols

  1. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    406

    Re: Albert Pujols

    Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Harang, Bailey, Hernandez, Hanigan, and Rolen have all missed significant time. We have just as much to gripe about as the Cards do.
    You don't truly believe that that list equals Penny, Lohse, Freese and Ludwick do you? Especially from a time standpoint.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Member Magdal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Tn.
    Posts
    1,436

    Re: Albert Pujols

    The man is 30 yrs old...that's 35 in Dominican years. His age is showing.

  4. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    406

    Re: Albert Pujols

    Quote Originally Posted by Magdal View Post
    The man is 30 yrs old...that's 35 in Dominican years. His age is showing.
    He only has the 6th best OPS in baseball.

  5. #19
    ZCTRMTP!!!!! texasdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,822

    Re: Albert Pujols

    Quote Originally Posted by Rijo's Ghost View Post
    He only has the 6th best OPS in baseball.
    His OPS numbers the past two years have been over 1.100 each year. This year, to date, it is .955. While still very good, one would have to consider that a not insignificant drop - roughly 15%. He has time to get it back up, and I wouldn't bet against it. But his .848 OPS in July suggests he is trending in the wrong direction.

  6. #20
    ZCTRMTP!!!!! texasdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,822

    Re: Albert Pujols

    Quote Originally Posted by Rijo's Ghost View Post
    You don't truly believe that that list equals Penny, Lohse, Freese and Ludwick do you? Especially from a time standpoint.
    Votto missed a week. And Chris Dickerson, who started 10 games in April, has missed a big portion of the season. That being said I don't feel either team has been killed by injuries in 2010.

  7. #21
    Boiler up!
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Richmond, IN
    Posts
    68

    Re: Albert Pujols

    I don't see Penny and Lohse as huge losses because they really just aren't that great. However, I think Freese and Ludwick were big losses. Freese was having a great season as a young guy. Ludwick drives in near a hundred runs ever since he broke through with them. Having to play Felo at 3rd hurts the Cards because of his defense. With that said, I agree with texasdave. Both of these teams have been pretty fortunate when it comes to injuries this year. Players for every team will always get injured. It's just part of sports. As long as I never have to see a player like Robbie Hummel get hurt for my team ever again I will be happy.

  8. #22
    ZCTRMTP!!!!! texasdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,822

    Re: Albert Pujols

    Robbie Hummel plays basketball for Purdue. You are thinking of Tim "Thug Life" Hummel.

  9. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Columbus
    Posts
    733

    Re: Albert Pujols

    Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Harang, Bailey, Hernandez, Hanigan, and Rolen have all missed significant time. We have just as much to gripe about as the Cards do.
    I'm not sure that Harang being out can be seen as all that much of a negative with how well Wood has been pitching compared to what Harang was doing.
    Sto Pro Veritate

  10. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    406

    Re: Albert Pujols

    Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    His OPS numbers the past two years have been over 1.100 each year. This year, to date, it is .955. While still very good, one would have to consider that a not insignificant drop - roughly 15%. He has time to get it back up, and I wouldn't bet against it. But his .848 OPS in July suggests he is trending in the wrong direction.
    You're comparing him against himself, not in relation to the league. He's having an "off" year and is still one of the best in the game. The only reason this is an issue is because he's been so consistent. These jumps are normal to most players. And lets keep in mind that there is still a lot of time left this season. I wouldn't bet against him finishing the season with a 1.000+ OPS.

  11. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    406

    Re: Albert Pujols

    Quote Originally Posted by blark11 View Post
    I don't see Penny and Lohse as huge losses because they really just aren't that great. However, I think Freese and Ludwick were big losses. Freese was having a great season as a young guy. Ludwick drives in near a hundred runs ever since he broke through with them. Having to play Felo at 3rd hurts the Cards because of his defense. With that said, I agree with texasdave. Both of these teams have been pretty fortunate when it comes to injuries this year. Players for every team will always get injured. It's just part of sports. As long as I never have to see a player like Robbie Hummel get hurt for my team ever again I will be happy.
    Penny had an ERA of 3.23 and has missed over 2 months. That's significant. Even if Lohse is a 4.75 ERA guy, it's significant considering the guys they've had to pitch there. They had Ludwick out a month and Freese out for over a month now. Comparing their situation to Votto being out a week and our journeyman catcher and bench players missing time is about as homer as there is.

  12. #26
    ZCTRMTP!!!!! texasdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,822

    Re: Albert Pujols

    Quote Originally Posted by Rijo's Ghost View Post
    You're comparing him against himself, not in relation to the league. He's having an "off" year and is still one of the best in the game. The only reason this is an issue is because he's been so consistent. These jumps are normal to most players. And lets keep in mind that there is still a lot of time left this season. I wouldn't bet against him finishing the season with a 1.000+ OPS.
    Of course I compared him to himself. Isn't that the whole point of the thread? It was posted that he is slipping and you responded that he still has the 6th best OPS in baseball. That fact really doesn't address the issue of whether he is slipping or not. You have to compare what he has done in the past to what he doing this year. Going from over 1.100 the past two years to .955 is a downward trend. This might be temporary and Pujols could turn things around. But he might not. He turned 30 years old and ballplayers don't stay at their peak forever. Nobody is knocking Albert Pujols. He is a certain first-ballot Hall of Famer. But for someone to suggest that he is entering the downhill phase of his career arc is not unreasonable.

  13. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    406

    Re: Albert Pujols

    Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Of course I compared him to himself. Isn't that the whole point of the thread? It was posted that he is slipping and you responded that he still has the 6th best OPS in baseball. That fact really doesn't address the issue of whether he is slipping or not. You have to compare what he has done in the past to what he doing this year. Going from over 1.100 the past two years to .955 is a downward trend. This might be temporary and Pujols could turn things around. But he might not. He turned 30 years old and ballplayers don't stay at their peak forever. Nobody is knocking Albert Pujols. He is a certain first-ballot Hall of Famer. But for someone to suggest that he is entering the downhill phase of his career arc is not unreasonable.
    Not unreasonable at all. I just find it odd that people seem to think that he's playing terribly or something when he's still among the best in MLB despite having a bad year. I'm also hesitant to call it a trend. I mean, an off year was bound to happen. His level of consistency is almost impossible. With the way athletes age now I fully expect him to stay in this peak for 3-4 more seasons, but I can see why people could buy into believing this is his decline phase.

  14. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    861

    Re: Albert Pujols

    Quote Originally Posted by Rijo's Ghost View Post
    Penny had an ERA of 3.23 and has missed over 2 months. That's significant. Even if Lohse is a 4.75 ERA guy, it's significant considering the guys they've had to pitch there. They had Ludwick out a month and Freese out for over a month now. Comparing their situation to Votto being out a week and our journeyman catcher and bench players missing time is about as homer as there is.
    I see your Penny and raise you a Volquez.

    Also, having both Hannigan and Hernandez down for over two weeks straight with Corky Miller being the teams ONLY catcher is signifigant.
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25