Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Albert Pujols

Re: Albert Pujols

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Harang, Bailey, Hernandez, Hanigan, and Rolen have all missed significant time. We have just as much to gripe about as the Cards do.
    You don't truly believe that that list equals Penny, Lohse, Freese and Ludwick do you? Especially from a time standpoint.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The man is 30 yrs old...that's 35 in Dominican years. His age is showing.

Quote Originally Posted by Magdal View Post
    The man is 30 yrs old...that's 35 in Dominican years. His age is showing.
    He only has the 6th best OPS in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Rijo's Ghost View Post
    He only has the 6th best OPS in baseball.
    His OPS numbers the past two years have been over 1.100 each year. This year, to date, it is .955. While still very good, one would have to consider that a not insignificant drop - roughly 15%. He has time to get it back up, and I wouldn't bet against it. But his .848 OPS in July suggests he is trending in the wrong direction.

You don't truly believe that that list equals Penny, Lohse, Freese and Ludwick do you? Especially from a time standpoint.
    Votto missed a week. And Chris Dickerson, who started 10 games in April, has missed a big portion of the season. That being said I don't feel either team has been killed by injuries in 2010.

Boiler up!

I don't see Penny and Lohse as huge losses because they really just aren't that great. However, I think Freese and Ludwick were big losses. Freese was having a great season as a young guy. Ludwick drives in near a hundred runs ever since he broke through with them. Having to play Felo at 3rd hurts the Cards because of his defense. With that said, I agree with texasdave. Both of these teams have been pretty fortunate when it comes to injuries this year. Players for every team will always get injured. It's just part of sports. As long as I never have to see a player like Robbie Hummel get hurt for my team ever again I will be happy.

Robbie Hummel plays basketball for Purdue. You are thinking of Tim "Thug Life" Hummel.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Harang, Bailey, Hernandez, Hanigan, and Rolen have all missed significant time. We have just as much to gripe about as the Cards do.
    I'm not sure that Harang being out can be seen as all that much of a negative with how well Wood has been pitching compared to what Harang was doing.
    Sto Pro Veritate

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    His OPS numbers the past two years have been over 1.100 each year. This year, to date, it is .955. While still very good, one would have to consider that a not insignificant drop - roughly 15%. He has time to get it back up, and I wouldn't bet against it. But his .848 OPS in July suggests he is trending in the wrong direction.
    You're comparing him against himself, not in relation to the league. He's having an "off" year and is still one of the best in the game. The only reason this is an issue is because he's been so consistent. These jumps are normal to most players. And lets keep in mind that there is still a lot of time left this season. I wouldn't bet against him finishing the season with a 1.000+ OPS.

Quote Originally Posted by blark11 View Post
    I don't see Penny and Lohse as huge losses because they really just aren't that great. However, I think Freese and Ludwick were big losses. Freese was having a great season as a young guy. Ludwick drives in near a hundred runs ever since he broke through with them. Having to play Felo at 3rd hurts the Cards because of his defense. With that said, I agree with texasdave. Both of these teams have been pretty fortunate when it comes to injuries this year. Players for every team will always get injured. It's just part of sports. As long as I never have to see a player like Robbie Hummel get hurt for my team ever again I will be happy.
    Penny had an ERA of 3.23 and has missed over 2 months. That's significant. Even if Lohse is a 4.75 ERA guy, it's significant considering the guys they've had to pitch there. They had Ludwick out a month and Freese out for over a month now. Comparing their situation to Votto being out a week and our journeyman catcher and bench players missing time is about as homer as there is.

You're comparing him against himself, not in relation to the league. He's having an "off" year and is still one of the best in the game. The only reason this is an issue is because he's been so consistent. These jumps are normal to most players. And lets keep in mind that there is still a lot of time left this season. I wouldn't bet against him finishing the season with a 1.000+ OPS.
    Of course I compared him to himself. Isn't that the whole point of the thread? It was posted that he is slipping and you responded that he still has the 6th best OPS in baseball. That fact really doesn't address the issue of whether he is slipping or not. You have to compare what he has done in the past to what he doing this year. Going from over 1.100 the past two years to .955 is a downward trend. This might be temporary and Pujols could turn things around. But he might not. He turned 30 years old and ballplayers don't stay at their peak forever. Nobody is knocking Albert Pujols. He is a certain first-ballot Hall of Famer. But for someone to suggest that he is entering the downhill phase of his career arc is not unreasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Of course I compared him to himself. Isn't that the whole point of the thread? It was posted that he is slipping and you responded that he still has the 6th best OPS in baseball. That fact really doesn't address the issue of whether he is slipping or not. You have to compare what he has done in the past to what he doing this year. Going from over 1.100 the past two years to .955 is a downward trend. This might be temporary and Pujols could turn things around. But he might not. He turned 30 years old and ballplayers don't stay at their peak forever. Nobody is knocking Albert Pujols. He is a certain first-ballot Hall of Famer. But for someone to suggest that he is entering the downhill phase of his career arc is not unreasonable.
    Not unreasonable at all. I just find it odd that people seem to think that he's playing terribly or something when he's still among the best in MLB despite having a bad year. I'm also hesitant to call it a trend. I mean, an off year was bound to happen. His level of consistency is almost impossible. With the way athletes age now I fully expect him to stay in this peak for 3-4 more seasons, but I can see why people could buy into believing this is his decline phase.

Penny had an ERA of 3.23 and has missed over 2 months. That's significant. Even if Lohse is a 4.75 ERA guy, it's significant considering the guys they've had to pitch there. They had Ludwick out a month and Freese out for over a month now. Comparing their situation to Votto being out a week and our journeyman catcher and bench players missing time is about as homer as there is.
    I see your Penny and raise you a Volquez.

Also, having both Hannigan and Hernandez down for over two weeks straight with Corky Miller being the teams ONLY catcher is signifigant.
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

Turn Off Ads?