Turn Off Ads?

Thread: The Key to Making the Playoffs

The Key to Making the Playoffs

I think the Reds will, and should, stay pat at the break, outside of maybe stealing Werth if possible, although I think Jonny is good enough to start LF on a playoff team. Cabrera will be fine, his BA will get back to his norm.

The starters are 9 deep. Volquez has nowhere to go but up. When Leake is done, we have a few guys who can replace him. Remember, for the playoffs, you only need 4.

The bullpen has been the best in the league in July, and Jared Burton, Aroldis Chapman, Russ Springer, and Jason Isringhausen are in the wings. They will be the strength of the team in the second half, IMO.

So, what is the key to the Reds surging?

The two first round picks. Bruce and Stubbs will be in RF and CF all season, as they should (lots of talk the last few days of doing something with them.) The key to making the playoffs are how well these two play. Bruce was great at the end of the season last year, as was Stubbs, although those both had special circumstances (injury, callup).

I think if Stubbs and Bruce can be contributors to the team (not necessarily "driving in runs") offensively, this team will go quite far.

I'm happy with Bruce's season to season progression, but I'd also like to see some in-season progression, with him adding some more (not necessarily all) of that power back. If he doesn't and stays with his good AB's and plate discipline, I'm still happy with his season, but I don't think the Reds will be able to pull it off.

Stubbs is Stubbs, and I like him as a player. He has a lot of RBIs, which shows when they're there, he'll hit them in. Obviously the key for him is not K'ing as much. Stubbs doesn't adjust to shorten his swing with two strikes. I love watching Stubbs bat, until he gets two K's, then I don't even watch anymore. If he can just turn a few of those K's to BB's, that will give the best catching duo in the NL a chance to knock in a few more.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Key to Making the Playoffs

I like what this team has did this season, but I don't think they can afford to stand pat. I'll be disappointed if they do. Left field needs to be upgraded, IMO. Jonny Gomes' OPS is down to .787 on the season, and the only reason it's that high is because of a ridiculously good month of May. He's been well below average in the other three months. If he was playing plus defense you could put up with it, but the fact is he's a well below average defender. We could also use another starter but that's probably not going to happen now.

Watching Cliff Lee dominate with the Rangers hurts a little. Imagine having that at the top of our rotation.

the Reds are not a bad team. they just aren't a really good team. they have a host of decent players. no huge holes. but IMO the team does not have enough star players to be a force. we might slip into the playoffs & likely be gone in the first round (especially considering how poorly we match up with a team with a TOR starter or two).

what could change my mind?
    1. Werth or someone like him in RF/LF with Bruce & Gomes being demoted to a platoon.
    2. an additional 8th/9th inning reliever with Coco being demoted to middle relief

should the above happen i would very much like our chances to make the postseason. we would still have the problem of us lacking TOR starters but you never know what will happen in the postseason.

short of a BIG addition i think the Cardinals will beat us yet again.

one thing that has really really really disappointed me is that after being swept in brutal fashion in Philadelphia & having the ASB to mull things over the team has done NOTHING different. no additions. no subtractions. same lineup every night & the same Sunday specials. Cabrera the hackmaster is still batting leadoff. Janish & Heisey still get no playing time. Coco is still our 'closer'. etc. then we hear that all is quiet on the trade front. its going to be quiet in October as well.

The key to making the playoffs for the Reds is to make hay against the below .500 teams remaning on the schedule.

The Key to remaining competitive long term is not giving up on the young talented players they have under thier control (Bruce) for any short term marginal upgrade. (Werth or even Gomes)

Turn Off Ads?