Turn Off Ads?

Thread: The 2011 Dayton Dragons (and maybe the 2012 Dragons too)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The 2011 Dayton Dragons (and maybe the 2012 Dragons too)

I have seen some scattered chatter about just how good the talent that is coursing toward Dayton is going to be in the various game threads and in the player threads, so I thought I would get a jump on it by starting this thread a bit early (understatement) and find out from the those in the know who is likely to be ready or Dayton next year.

Hamilton?
    Yorman?
    Any of the AZL guys in a position to make that jump like Arias? Or will they still be too young for Dayton? Would Yorman be too young at 18 for Dayton?
    The pitchers of note in AZL?

I guess I am curious about what the development trajectory is for this kind of youth. I have never seen anything quite like it (especially factoring in the Latin infusion of talent) in my 40 years of following the Reds.

Thanks.

Re: The 2011 Dayton Dragons (and maybe the 2012 Dragons too)

With age and performance so far, I would think Hamilton and Rodriguez both will be with Dayton next season. I don't think there is anyway they send Yorman to Billings a 3rd year.

Tucker Barnhart seems to be another one that is performing well and could be there.

Resident PED Expert

Your starting 9 in Dayton next year should be...

1B Kaskow
    2B Hamilton
    3B Santos
    SS Lohman
    LF Hunt
    CF Rodriguez
    RF LaMarre
    C Barnhart

The bench will be a little more tricky to predict. Depends alot on who they holdover and who in Billings finishes strong.

The Rotation could be...

Johnson
    Ravin
    Sulbaran
    Shunick
    Tuttle

I'm assuming LaMarre gets bumped to High A next year. If Duran keeps on hitting like he's been hitting, I think he'll get a spot in Dayton next year. Wouldn't surprise me to see Arias get a full season in Dayton w/ Lohman potentially skipping low A ball to give you Hamilton & Arias up the middle. Kaskow as well could move up to High A if he puts together a decent stretch in Dayton to finish the season.

On the pitchign end, Correa will be 20 and Guillen will be 19, both having decent years in Arizona. Both could be slated for the Dragons rotation next year.
    Last edited by medford; 07-28-2010 at 02:00 PM.

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    I'm assuming LaMarre gets bumped to High A next year. If Duran keeps on hitting like he's been hitting, I think he'll get a spot in Dayton next year. Wouldn't surprise me to see Arias get a full season in Dayton w/ Lohman potentially skipping low A ball to give you Hamilton & Arias up the middle. Kaskow as well could move up to High A if he puts together a decent stretch in Dayton to finish the season.

On the pitchign end, Correa will be 20 and Guillen will be 19, both having decent years in Arizona. Both could be slated for the Dragons rotation next year.
    Richburg will block Kaskow going to High A. Same as Rodriguez and Gregorious blocking Lohman. LaMarre hasn't done much to show he is worthy of a bump to High A yet. Fellhauser had a better run last year and had struggled mightily in High A. Duran might need just a little more time and success in Billings to get the push.

Barnhart/ Manz C
    Kaskow 1B
    Hamilton SS/2B
    Gregorious SS/ 2B
    Santos 3B
    Means CF
    Y. Rodriguez RF
    Duran LF

That's a pretty good lineup with few holes. Means needs the extra year in low A, as he's struggled. Same with Gregorious. (Lohman goes to High A in this hypothetical to team with Henry Rodriguez.) Both Gregorious and Hamilton tag-team the middle of the diamond. Duran, if he continues to hit, makes the jump. Yorman is ready, baseball-wise.

The pitching looks even better, with a rotation including Dayton holdovers Sulburan, Johnson, and Shunick, along with Corcino and a fifth spot up for grabs. And the pen looks to be really solid, after a year of hard-core struggling.

Turn Off Ads?