Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Visiting PNC park

Visiting PNC park

I am taking my father for his 70th b-day present to next Tuesday and Wednesday's Reds/Pirates games in Pittsburgh next week. Our hotel is right across the street from the park. Any reccomendations for a restaurant for dinner Tuesday within a couple blocks of the park?
    Any cool things to see at PNC park besides meaningful August games for the Reds?
    Thanks in advance! We are really looking forward to it!
    "Why are those Dodger pitchers in the Reds bullpen?"-GAC August 28, 2009

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Visiting PNC park

Quote Originally Posted by redhawkfish View Post
    I am taking my father for his 70th b-day present to next Tuesday and Wednesday's Reds/Pirates games in Pittsburgh next week. Our hotel is right across the street from the park. Any reccomendations for a restaurant for dinner Tuesday within a couple blocks of the park?
    Any cool things to see at PNC park besides meaningful August games for the Reds?
    Thanks in advance! We are really looking forward to it!
    The best stadium I have seen.. I absolutely loved the food at Primanti Bros..

We also went to the Warhol museum and that was a blast.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Thanks Cedric!
    "Why are those Dodger pitchers in the Reds bullpen?"-GAC August 28, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post

Agreed on all accounts.

I've been to many of the ballparks (sans Fenway and the new Yankee Stadium) in the Eastern half of the united states (regretfully, I've still not been West of the Mississippi).

PNC Park is up there with Jacobs Field as my favorite. Because of the river location, I may even give PNC an edge.

It's too bad that team isn't more competitive. Their fans have a great park and it would be nice to see them rewarded with a great team.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Agreed on all accounts.

I've been to many of the ballparks (sans Fenway and the new Yankee Stadium) in the Eastern half of the united states (regretfully, I've still not been West of the Mississippi).

PNC Park is up there with Jacobs Field as my favorite. Because of the river location, I may even give PNC an edge.

It's too bad that team isn't more competitive. Their fans have a great park and it would be nice to see them rewarded with a great team.
    I've been lucky enough to see a bunch of the nicest stadiums. I would probably rank my favorites as Pnc, Jacobs, Comerica, Wrigley, and Safeco.

I thought Safeco had great food.. Just didn't really like some of architecture.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

I'm planning on taking in at least one game (and maybe all three) at Pittsburgh next week. (PNC Park is exactly a two-hour drive from my house.) I would like to see a lot of Red there next week. Let's take over the place, and make it "Home away from Home"!
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

I agree with all of the positive statements above. PNC is the best ballpark I've ever been to. I can't go without having Primanti's!

I will be there on Wednesday.

If you have never been to Pittsburgh, depending on the direction you are going, the Fort Pitt Tunnel is definitely alone worth it. If you're driving, you might feel different though. (you have to turn pretty much once you come out of the tunnel.)

As with everybody else, PNC Park is definitely the best place to watch a game that I have been to. There isn't a bad seat in the stadium and its definitely family friendly.

Never been to Primanti Brothers though. May have to try that.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post

Primanti Bros, is that the place they make the big slaw covered cold cut subs? Think I saw it on Man vs. Food.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Go to the Andy Warhol museum. It's only a couple of blocks from the park and is really interesting. My entire family enjoyed it. I think we spent at least 2 hours there.
    Where we gonna go?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I will be there on Wednesday.

If you have never been to Pittsburgh, depending on the direction you are going, the Fort Pitt Tunnel is definitely alone worth it. If you're driving, you might feel different though. (you have to turn pretty much once you come out of the tunnel.)

As with everybody else, PNC Park is definitely the best place to watch a game that I have been to. There isn't a bad seat in the stadium and its definitely family friendly.

Never been to Primanti Brothers though. May have to try that.
    I usually get off I-376/U.S. 22 just before the Fort Pitt Tunnel, and go across the West End Bridge. The North Shore (where PNC Park and Heinz Field are located) is the first exit.

And For those who have never been there, PNC Park has a Primanti Bros. in the ballpark.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Primanti Bros, is that the place they make the big slaw covered cold cut subs? Think I saw it on Man vs. Food.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Target field in Minnesota might be even better than PNC. I'd highly recommend getting there to anyone who can.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I'm going to Pittsburgh this weekend and missing this series by hours. Terribly bummed about this. I'd have worked out my travel differently if I'd realized.

This is one stadium I really recommend walking all the way around. There are some amazing views, both in and out of the stadium, if you make your way to some of the obscure corners of the ballpark. Going down to the river and walking around is a great thing to do also. The weather is supposed to be splendiferously perfect there this weekend and into next week.

Also! The swank club/restaurant attached to the ballpark serves all beer at $2.50 per after the game. Microbrews, everything. There's usually some promotional group giving away free stuff or some weird band playing too. Not a lot of people know about this, and tack that onto the fact that not a lot of people go to Pirates games, and you have a pretty groovy cheap place to hang out with not a lot of obnoxious drunks.

Take note, PNC is one of the few stadiums that still serves ice cream in plastic batting helmets. So many of them have stopped, and it really puts a crimp in your style if one of your major life goals is to collect an ice cream helmet from every stadium you visit so that you can someday create a series of shelves to display all 30 of them and arrange them every day according to standings. I mean, theoretically.
    Last edited by vaticanplum; 07-28-2010 at 11:09 PM.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

The one thing I don't like about PNC is that the seats are overly angled toward home plate, so that if you're sitting down the lines, it feels like the person next to you is sitting on your lap. I'd recommend getting seats between first and third, even upper deck, rather than go with seats down the lines.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Turn Off Ads?