Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How did Dunn get the bad rap

How did Dunn get the bad rap

I keep reading where people don't like Adam Dunn because he was lazy, or didn't do this or didn't do that. For the life of me I would love to know where people got this view. It's true Dunn is not a 5 tools type of guy, but his numbers at the plate are beyond question. I am not advocating obtaining he via trade as I would rather have Gomes in RF right now, but the hate that Dunn gets is really unfair.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: How did Dunn get the bad rap

It was the strikeouts.

He was the epitome of a 1-tool player. Terrible defense, no arm strength, slow, couldn't hit for average.

He hit HRs, and that's it. I've always believed that HRs is somewhat of an overrated statistic. Nowhere else has that been more evident with Adam Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by sivman17 View Post
    He was the epitome of a 1-tool player. Terrible defense, no arm strength, slow, couldn't hit for average.

He hit HRs, and that's it. I've always believed that HRs is somewhat of an overrated statistic. Nowhere else has that been more evident with Adam Dunn.
    Again facts don't support your view. His OBP is great, and it's the K that is overrated, not the HR. Also you can't power the homeruns like he did and not have a gun for an arm. He is slow, at first that doesn't matter. Also his average was always above .250 for the most part, I will take that. Think what his RBI's would be with this lineup and how we get on base.

Quote Originally Posted by Moosie52 View Post
    It was the strikeouts.
    so if you K alot you a bad person? Because if that is true then omg, Stubbs must be horrible.

Because his main strength was OBP and was never used as that type of player.

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    so if you K alot you a bad person? Because if that is true then omg, Stubbs must be horrible.
    Should be that simple, but Stubbs has "speed" which people like more than power for some reason.

But yeah, Dunn gets a bad rap because of his strikeouts, that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    Again facts don't support your view. His OBP is great, and it's the K that is overrated, not the HR. Also you can't power the homeruns like he did and not have a gun for an arm. He is slow, at first that doesn't matter. Also his average was always above .250 for the most part, I will take that. Think what his RBI's would be with this lineup and how we get on base.
    In eight seasons with the Reds, his BA was under .250 five times.

He had power, but he did not have a gun for an arm.

He didn't play first for us, he played LF, so his lack of speed and lack of arm strength did matter.

Seriously Dunn spent the majority of his career hitting 4-6 in the line up. He should have been looked at as the guy that is driven in instead of the guy that drives guys in. The homers were going to come no matter where he hit, Reds ultimately failed at noticing that.

He is one of the most overpaid players in baseball from a Sabermatrician standpoint.

Just look at his WAR for the last 4 years...0.6, 3.0, 2.1, 0.9. In only 1 year did he come close to earning his salary. In 2004 and 2005 he was much better 5.5 and 4.3. He is also having a really nice year this year, and playing first also helps. Yet 2006 is when people really began to sour on him, and deservedly so. 683 plate appearances and a WAR of 0.6 is atrocious.

BTW...from personal standpoint it seemed like he never got the big hit when the Reds needed it, and seemed to always be at the plate when one was needed. Not sure if that is true or not, but his career .231 BA w/RISP kind of points to that fact.
    Last edited by scott91575; 07-28-2010 at 02:14 PM.

Dunn has also improved his his value greatly since going to the nationals. He has hit better, and is now playing a position where he doesn't kill his value defensively.

Let me first say that I was a fan of Adam Dunn. I still am. I think he got a bad rap here, but I can't discount the reasons for why he was not liked. But, 40 HR, 100 RS, 100 RBI guys do not grow on trees.

However, I think many felt that he should have driven in more runs for where he hit in the line-up and the money that he was being paid. Also, the fact that the team did not win and I think most people felt his demeanor was of someone who didn't really care. Not saying that it's fair, it's just my observation in answering the question.

As a fan of his, I thought that at times he was too selective at the plate and took way too many strikes - where as if he had hit those balls, maybe he would have driven in more runs and perhaps as a result the team would have won more.

I also didn't like the fact that he didn't want to move to first base, but then the minute he was traded, he agreed to play anywhere the D'Backs and later the Nationals asked him to.

All in all, I still think Dunn gets unfair criticism and I think down the road when people just look at the numbers that he did put up for this franchise - he will be looked on more favorably.

He wasn't called "Big Donkey" for nothing...
    "Another note: Gomes told me yesterday that Rolen and Cabrera congratulate teammates for 10-pitch ABs that end in outs, and for sacrificing themselves to get runners over. Gomes said hes never been on a team that did that, not even the World Series Rays." -PD

I think it went a little like this.....

-Comes up from minors as at 21 year old with monster numbers .334/.444/.672/1.116. Fans anticpate monster numbers in the big leagues along with recent acquistion of Junior Griffey will equate to numerous trips to the post season.

-Has solid first full season, but does not appear to improve in following season. Losses continue to mount.

-After third season, not only is there no improvement, but appears to be regressing. Terms such as "True 3 outcome player" start to get thrown around. Fans begin to focus on flaws in his game such as defense, pathetic strikeout rate, .230 batting average. Losses continue.

-Contract is up. Debate ensues over worth. Is he .900 OPS guy or .230 hitting, 200K, black hole playing left field. Gets short term big number contract, fan base becomes increasingly polarized. Its pretty much downhill from here.

-New management looks for a change. Ships him out of town for a bag of used batting practice balls. So ending the Adam Dunn era in Cincinnati.

Personally I liked Adam Dunn but I think there were 2 major things that led to his downfall.

1.) Even if everything went perfect and he was the hardest working guy on the planet, he was probably never as good as his minor league numbers suggested he was. As such he was most likely going to disappoint in relation to what the expectations were.

2.) He NEVER improved. When a guy comes up a 21-22 you figure there will be a learning curve he will eventually get on top of. But Adam Dunn did not get better and by a lot of measures got worse. When a guy with a lot of ability goes year after year does not get better whether its fair or not people are going to say its due to lack of effort and laziness. Throw in the fact that he was never a guy considered to be in the best of shape and the whole lazy argument running full steam ahead. Honestly I don't know what the story is but fair or not perception is reality and he did not do a whole lot to help himself.

I'm still a big Dunn fan.

Turn Off Ads?