Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looks Like No Major Moves in the Offing

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Looks Like No Major Moves in the Offing

Jays are asking a king's ransom for Scott Downs...apparently told the Yanks it would take Jesus Montero. No way in hades he's worth that. I think the asking price for Downs will eventually go....well, down....but I don't want to be in that bidding war.

Oswalt's not coming here. One universal quality amongst MLB GM's is a hatred of trading within the division, and I don't think we need him anyway.

Corey Hart? See above.

Jayson Werth? Lots of teams want him....will inflate his value and I don't think he's that darned good anyway.

Really no one else out there that fits our needs. I know many would like an upgrade to OCab, but he's here....at least for the rest of the season.

Volquez's last two outings have been very concerning considering we were all expecting Instant Ace upon his return...looks like he's going to be a work in progress.

Others want to move Cordero to a middle relief role and acquire another closer....ain't happenin'. The Cincinnati Reds do not pay middle relievers 48 million dollars.

So, looks like we're headed down the stretch with the horses in-house. We'll eventually get Bailey back and likely stick him in the pen. Remains to be seen how hard they'll push Leake and Wood. Harang is another big question mark. Still, I do think we'll have the SP we'll need to contend. I'm also not crazy about dealing guys like Alonso, presumably for OF help, for a couple of reasons. First, with Heisey playing well and Dickerson apparently due back soon, we're already 5 deep there. Secondly, Alonso has not had the best year and I don't like the idea of selling low. There is no doubt in my mind he will eventually become a slugger in the bigs, be it here or elsewhere. We trade him now and we don't get proper value.
    Last edited by TheBigLebowski; 07-28-2010 at 12:29 PM.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Looks Like No Major Moves in the Offing

right now I think it is safe to say we have probably the best overall pitching (SP/RP) that this team has seen in decades. Logan Ondrusek has returned from his demotion and is flat out nasty. The Smith kid we called up from AA has been nothing but a great surprise and good. Even though Massett and Co-Co can give anyone a heart condition when they come in, both seem to work they way out of it. None of our young SP have shown any signs of being young SP and "if" Izzy/Springer/Harang/Bailey can come up and contribute anything then you have to like our pitching staff. The only concern I see right now is age, the age and health of the right side of our infield. But that would diminish if our manager would manage better. Orlando shows that with rest he can produce, so why not play him 5 games, then off 2, then play 5 and so on and do the same with Rolen. The talent is here to contend, the question is can the manager make the right moves.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Per John Fay's twitter:

Jocketty: Very good chance we won't do anything before the deadline. #reds
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

The trading deadline has not been the same since the advent of the Wild Card. Too many buyers and not enough sellers. That makes it really tough to get an impact player for a decent price.

What about Astros RP Brandon Lyon if the Astros pay some money on his contract into a potential deal as well?

Some St. Louis station said the Reds were in on Oswalt. I sincerely doubt it just because its a radio station.

The Reds would not be thrilled with paying Corder so much and not have him close games, but if he couldn't get a save they wouldn't have a choice. The fact is he converts 82% of his save opportunities. that is why he keeps his job despite not making it pretty very often.

Who are all these people that were expecting instant ace upon Volquez's return?

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Some St. Louis station said the Reds were in on Oswalt. I sincerely doubt it just because its a radio station.
    ken rosenthal reported reds had called astros, expressed interest, no names were thrown around though

I think a lot of asking prices will go down when Friday evening rolls around, but I think the biggest hurdle to the Reds making a trade is that they need a bat and there just aren't that many out there.
    Sto Pro Veritate

Oswalt does not want to play in Cincy....Move on

This from an astros message board about what they would expect for Oswalt

"Yonder Alonso Zack Cozart Travis Wood Jonathan Correa and Henry Rodriguez"

hmmmmmm no thanks

I know that that is just some guy on a message board making up name, but this is fun...Next

Quote Originally Posted by Btrester151 View Post
    This from an astros message board about what they would expect for Oswalt

"Yonder Alonso Zack Cozart Travis Wood Jonathan Correa and Henry Rodriguez"

hmmmmmm no thanks

I know that that is just some guy on a message board making up name, but this is fun...Next
    Maybe if they ate all of his contract lol.

I heard Jayson Stark say this morning that It will take 2 B or B+ Prospects to get Owsalt. What 2 would you give.

Would you trade Frazier and Homer? Would Houston take that deal? I am on the fence on that. I really could see Homer eventually being moved over to a closers role due to depth in the starting rotation. Would you rather substitute Bailey with Wood?

Schnickelfritz

Oswalt is not coming to Cincinnati. Move on.

Turn Off Ads?