Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kevin Goldstein on Jonathan Correa, Zack Cozart

Kevin Goldstein on Jonathan Correa, Zack Cozart

Here's the report on Jonathan Correa from Kevin Goldstein:

Jonathan Correa, RHP, Reds (Rookie-level AZL Reds): 6 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 7 K. Yet another interesting young arm in the system; 19-year-old Dominican has 25 Ks over 16 innings in last three starts thanks to 91-93 mph fastball and plus slider.

And a note on Zack Cozart:

•Zach Cozart, SS, Reds (Triple-A Louisville): 3-for-6, 2 R, 2 RBI, K. Attention Reds: This guy is better than Cabrera right now.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...commentMessage

Very, very interesting. Correa gets more interesting by the day. Good velocity and a plus slider already? Nice. Now it's time to get Mario Soto to work with him on a changeup. He's listed at 6-foot-1, 168 pounds so it appears he has some projection left too.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Resident PED Expert

Re: Kevin Goldstein on Jonathan Correa

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    •Zach Cozart, SS, Reds (Triple-A Louisville): 3-for-6, 2 R, 2 RBI, K. Attention Reds: This guy is better than Cabrera right now

Yet their are people in this board who would deal him for Lindstrom straight up...

Funny that I posted in his thread earlier today basically saying the reason he isnt in the majors is because of Cabrera. No doubt Cozart would put up at least similar batting stats.

Re: Kevin Goldstein on Jonathan Correa, Zack Cozart

Funny that I posted in his thread earlier today basically saying the reason he isnt in the majors is because of Cabrera. No doubt Cozart would put up at least similar batting stats

The year in AAA is good for Cozart. He's got a .324 OBP vs. righties. He's still developing as a hitter.

Orlando is having a very good July.

His average is at .305 and his defense has been good.

Finally get a scouting perspective on Correa. He sounds like a a young Cueto if he adds a tick on his fastball and and develops the changeup. Him and Guillon are gonna be exciting to watch next year.

It will be fun to see how Cozart develops these next few months and offseason. I could see him starting next year or being a solid backup

Watching Cozart develop this year has been fun.
    Code:
    Month	AVG	AB	R	H	2B	3B	HR	RBI	BB	SO	SB	CS	OBP	SLG	OPS
    April	.253	83	8	21	6	1	2	9	7	18	3	1	.323	.422	.744
    May	.235	119	29	28	5	1	4	14	15	22	10	0	.324	.395	.718
    June	.276	116	12	32	8	1	4	15	2	19	3	1	.300	.466	.766
    July	.326	86	21	28	6	0	5	15	12	19	7	1	.408	.570	.978

Barring a major offseason trade/shakeup, Cozart should get the opportunity to start next year. I'd expect a Stubbs-like performance out of him, only with a little less power:

Great defense, marginal BA/OBP, flashes of power.

We can afford that kind of production vs. defense tradeoff at SS and CF IF everyone else is performing above average. I expect they can do that next year, with the possible exception of Gomes in LF.
    Go BLUE!!!

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Barring a major offseason trade/shakeup, Cozart should get the opportunity to start next year. I'd expect a Stubbs-like performance out of him, only with a little less power:

Great defense, marginal BA/OBP, flashes of power.

We can afford that kind of production vs. defense tradeoff at SS and CF IF everyone else is performing above average. I expect they can do that next year, with the possible exception of Gomes in LF.
    The thing everyone fails to mention is that Stubbs has been a major upgade at the plate and in the field over Taveras and Patterson the last 2 starting CFer's. Cozart would be a massive upgrade if he puts up Stubbs type numbers over the last two starting SS. Gonzalez and Cabrera who struggle to be around a .650 OPS. Cozart could post a .315/.320 OBP with a .380/.420 SLG% from the get go.

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    Yet their are people in this board who would deal him for Lindstrom straight up...
    I'm a Cozart fan, so I don't say this as a backhanded compliment: being better than Cabrera doesn't take much right now.

As far as Lindstrom straight up, even liking Cozart, I don't think that's an absurd deal. If this weren't a board of Reds' fans, that trade would be looked at as reasonable. The overvaluation of a team's own prospects skews the value-for-value perception.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

If Cozart can be Stubbs Lite (and it looks like he might be able to OPS 725 and play above average D at SS), he'll be a definite upgrade over Cabrera.

Heisey, IMO, will play more next season in both CF and RF, as a possible platoon partnre with both Stubbs and Bruce. (Giving Stubbs a break particularly when he's struggling and spelling Bruce against most southpaws.)

Too, I'd guess Alonso comes up to platoon with Gomes in LF and play 1B back-up to Votto.

That should make the batting lineup:
    Phillips 2B
    Cozart SS
    Votto 1B
    Rolen 3B
    Gomes/ Alonso LF
    Bruce/ Heisey RF
    Stubbs/ Heisey CF
    Hanigan/ FA C

That's a solid, solid order with few weaknesses and a lot of upside right there and all it should cost is one free agent catcher (*Cough* Victor Martinez *Cough*), unless they decide Mesoraco is ready. (Assuming, again, he isn't dealt for major help.)

Advantages include cost (Cozart is cheaper than Cabrera, Mesoraco is cheaper than Hernandez, everyone else is comparable) and upside (Cozart likely to outperform Cabrera, a platoon of Alonso and Gomes should outperform Gomes alone).

Doug noted in the Redleg Nation Radio podcast that Alonso has Gomes-like defense in LF as an upside. I don't think he'll be playing LF in the majors anytime soon.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 07-30-2010 at 09:25 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Doug noted in the Redleg Radio podcast that Alonso has Gomes-like defense in LF as an upside. I don't think he'll be playing LF in the majors anytime soon.
    Don't be so sure.... I mean the Reds do run Gomes out there and Alonso has a lot more potential in his bat than Gomes does.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Don't be so sure.... I mean the Reds do run Gomes out there and Alonso has a lot more potential in his bat than Gomes does.
    You think that is something that could happen this year?

Turn Off Ads?