Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you offer Joey V.

What would you offer Joey V.

I think it is time Walt starts looking at getting Votto inked to a pretty good long term (5-6 year) deal. So what would be a fair deal? Personally I would look at offering him a 5 year deal with a 6th year team option at about 10-11 million per year. If you can get him for $55 million - 60 million over 5-6 years I would do it NOW.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What would you offer Joey V.

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    I think it is time Walt starts looking at getting Votto inked to a pretty good long term (5-6 year) deal. So what would be a fair deal? Personally I would look at offering him a 5 year deal with a 6th year team option at about 10-11 million per year. If you can get him for $55 million - 60 million over 5-6 years I would do it NOW.
    Votto knows he can get at least $10,000,000 in arbitration (see Ryan Howard). You are probably going to have to go into the $15,000,000 range to get him for 5 years (arbitration years + 2 into free agency).

The only way he takes anything near $10,000,000 is if it's a 3 year deal and they avoid arbitration, but no extension into free agency. On the free market, if he continues to play at this level, he is a $20,000,000+ guy. So you need to up the money during his arbitration to make up for the loss he could/would see if the contract is longer than 3 years. You might be able to get him with 6 and $80 million due to the security of the contract.
    Last edited by scott91575; 07-28-2010 at 05:37 PM.

I wonder what a Joey Votto would pull in a trade? realistic? and no, in no way am I saying I want to trade him, just making conversation when we are up 8 runs.

Schnickelfritz

What would I offer Votto? My man love.

Reds Fan 4 life!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BurgervilleBuck View Post
    What would I offer Votto? My man love.
    Get off my dude!!!!!

No really I say give him $100,000,000 for 10 years. Hey he is making $100,000,000 dollars! how can you turn that down. Hey we want you to be red, forever!
    "Ahh, Jesus, I like him very much, but He no help with curveball." - Serrano. "Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?" - Harris in Major League (1989)

I like the 10 year 100 million dollar contract, but we need to throw in some incentives.
    Joey can name his manager for next season
    All trades have to be run by Joey
    Joey is named the hitting coach
    All roster moves involving the MLB team must be cleared by Joey
    Joey has the right to let Paul Janish play whenever he deems neccessary
    The Canadian National Anthem must be played before every home game

I think he would sign in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by bshall2105 View Post
    I like the 10 year 100 million dollar contract, but we need to throw in some incentives.

The team would be renamed the Cincinnati Maple Leafs (at the very least the Cincinnati Canucks).
    Molson's would replace Hudepohl at stadium concession stands. Women could order Labatt's.
    Umpires would start the game by proclaiming, "Play ball, eh!"
    Alanis Morissette would sing Oh, Canada on Opening Day.
    Relievers would come into the game riding on a dog sled pulled by Huskies.
    Resin bags would be in the shape of a hockey puck.
    Players and managers arguing calls would not be kicked out of the game, but rather sent to a Penalty Box.
    Joey Votto's home runs at GABP would no longer celebrated by fireworks. Moose calls would be substituted instead.
    Gapper would be replaced by Dudley Doright.
    Last edited by texasdave; 07-30-2010 at 01:31 AM.

No reason for a long term contract after this year, his value most likely is at it's peak. Give him arbitration 1 year, then after Cordero and maybe Bronson come off the books next year tie him up long term.

10yrs 100mil is a pipe dream.

Reds Fan 4 life!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by davereds24 View Post
    No reason for a long term contract after this year, his value most likely is at it's peak. Give him arbitration 1 year, then after Cordero and maybe Bronson come off the books next year tie him up long term.

You mean a wet dream.
    "Ahh, Jesus, I like him very much, but He no help with curveball." - Serrano. "Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?" - Harris in Major League (1989)

Quote Originally Posted by davereds24 View Post

It's not a pipe dream, 10 million a year and a huge slice of Canada is very reasonable.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bshall2105 View Post

Great post. Made me laugh.

I wish Joey would sign for 10 years $100M. That would be cheap.

On the other hand, I think salaries have peaked and will start coming down a smidge. Not much, but a little. I just don't think teams can keep paying these guys $16 to $20M a year. And when they don't, they'll be a players union collusion lawsuit which is ridiculous. Look how hard it is to trade a guy with a big contract anymore. Unless that guy brings it every year, teams don't want to take a chance. Such as Cordero, Harang, Oswalt.........

These players all want security, but long term contracts can bite a team in the butt down the road as the player ages or injuries mount. See KGJ.

I'd love to see Votto a career Red. I think he is just what this town needs. An identifiable sports figure tied with Cincinnati.

As much as I love Votto and recognize he is having a historic season, I've never been convinced that any player is worth 20 mil/yr. Especially at 1B where the league avg hitter is pretty high. Just think of the deal they are getting right now with what they are paying him for 2010- $525,000 and he might be the MVP. That is why you want to develop young talent rather than acquire overpriced FA's.

5 years/$70 mil sounds like a good starting point for negotiations. I'm not sure that would be enough to get it done, though. As it is, he'll be over $14 mil by the end of his arbitration years if he keeps it up.

Maybe a tack a no trade clause and/or a 6th year player option for another $14 mil on the end if needed?

If he signed before the 2011 season, he'd be giving up 3 years of arbitration for the guaranteed security. Maybe he would go for it, I don't know. Regardless, the Reds should look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Alanis Morissette would sing Oh, Canada on Opening Day.
    oh come on.. we gotta at least have Celine Dion, someone Joey might actually want to listen to

Schnickelfritz

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    The team would be renamed the Cincinnati Maple Leafs (at the very least the Cincinnati Canucks).
    Unfortunately, Votto's not a Hockey fan.

Somehow, that just ain't right.

Turn Off Ads?