Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Joey Votto Triple Crown Watch

Joey Votto Triple Crown Watch

Although there are still two months left of baseball, I figured I'd begin tracking the progress of Joey Votto's quest for the National League Triple Crown. The last NL player to win the Triple Crown was Joe Medwick of the St. Louis Cardinals back in 1937. His numbers: .374, 31, 154. The last MLB player to win the Triple Crown was Carl Yastrzemski of the Boston Red Sox in 1967. His numbers: .326, 44, 121.

BA
    1. Joey Votto, CIN .322
    2. Rafael Furcal, LAD .322
    3. Placido Polanco, PHI .318
    4. Martin Prado, ATL .316
    5. Marlon Byrd, CHC .313

HR
    1. Joey Votto, CIN 26
    2. Prince Fielder, MIL 24
    3. Mark Reynolds, ARI 24
    4. Albert Pujols, STL 23
    5. Adam Dunn, WAS 23

RBI
    1. Ryan Howard, PHI 81
    2. Albert Pujols, STL 70
    3. Joey Votto, CIN 70
    4. Corey Hart, MIL 70
    5. David Wright, NYM 69

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Joey Votto Triple Crown Watch

I think it will take an injury to Howard for Joey to have a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by davereds24 View Post
    I think it will take an injury to Howard for Joey to have a shot.
    Same thing I was thinking...Howard will need to DL for this to happen..

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Howard won't DL because he's Manuel's guy.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

We all know why he's not leading the league in RBI's.

Now that Cabrera has picked it up in July (about a .350 OBP), and Phillips rocked it today and yesterday, then they might start giving Votto more opportunities at RBI's and a legitimate run at the Triple Crown.

Johnny Cueto Fan

He's got a legit shot of doing it if he can keep pace on what he is doing now which I think he can.
    TWITTER : @KOBasinger

Before today, Votto had 244 base runners on for him, Howard 316. Give Votto 72 more runners & that's about 12 more RBI, he trails by 11.

Got that off twitter.

Basically what that's saying is that the rate of which Votto drives in runners 72 more guys on base would give him him the lead or at least make him much more close than he currently is.
    Last edited by GIDP; 07-29-2010 at 08:51 AM.

There is NO Way to beat him in RBI,,,,guys get on in front of him. However, if he goes down to an injury or just starts tanking, Votto CAN win the 3 crown. Pujols has no shot to win it.

Gotta love this pic... even if he doesn't win the Triple Crown, he has to be a shoe-in for NL MVP if he continues to put up numbers like this. I just love seeing a Red being atop nearly all the offensive statistical categories. Jo-Vo is such a beast.

Howard has come to the plate with 325 runners on base, Votto 251.

Quote Originally Posted by sivman17 View Post
    Gotta love this pic... even if he doesn't win the Triple Crown, he has to be a shoe-in for NL MVP if he continues to put up numbers like this. I just love seeing a Red being atop nearly all the offensive statistical categories. Jo-Vo is such a beast.

That is awesome... I hope he can win the MVP. He deserves it!

If the season ended today, he would be the MVP. But triple crown? That is so incredibly hard to do. Look at the baseball gods that hit for average and power that could'nt do it: DiMag, Musial, Frank Robinson, Aaron. The list is very long.

If the 'roided up '90s could not produce one.... (What happened, Barry?)

It takes a phenomenal season and a lot of luck to win the triple crown. If he wins the batting title or leads the league in HR either one is pretty cool.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Wish we had a better hitter batting in the 2-hole with a very good OBP. Joey might be closer to Howard in rbi's.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Wish we had a better hitter batting in the 2-hole with a very good OBP. Joey might be closer to Howard in rbi's.
    Exactly. That's what killed Pujols last year, his ONLY year that he won the HR title. LaRussa had all the high OBP guys behind him in the order. Pretty smart managing, Tony.

Turn Off Ads?