Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Astros Discussing Berkman Deals (Berkman traded to NYY)

Astros Discussing Berkman Deals (Berkman traded to NYY)

May start a complete rebuilding of the team.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/0...medium=twitter
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Astros Discussing Berkman Deals

I think there is a very good chance of this happening since they just acquired Wallace from the Blue Jays who would replace Berkman.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Berkman looks fat and a shell of his former self.

I didn't even fear his in the last series.

Instead of HR's he was hitting in DP's.

I certainly wouldn't give up anything of real value for him.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I could see him as a DH in NYC. With Cantu going to Texas, I'm not sure what other teams in the hunt need a decent bat with limited defensive value who would be willing to pay the price I'm sure the Astros are looking for.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I'm not saying Berkman would be my top choice, but he's exactly the type of player Jocketty has targeted in the past that has paid off big-time.

Jack Clark (his second time through St. Louis), Will Clark, Larry Walker-- there is a long list of guys most thought through that blossomed for a few months or a year under Jocketty.

That said, is Berkman even capable of playing OF?
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Man Pills

I think Walt picks up an offensive player (insurance against Rolen's back). Probably of the Cantu/Berkman/Wigginton mold.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I'm not saying Berkman would be my top choice, but he's exactly the type of player Jocketty has targeted in the past that has paid off big-time.

Jack Clark (his second time through St. Louis), Will Clark, Larry Walker-- there is a long list of guys most thought through that blossomed for a few months or a year under Jocketty.

That said, is Berkman even capable of playing OF?
    Once Berkman's knee has recovered, he should have a Berkman-esque season next year and beyond. I'd love to see him in LF if that's possible.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

We can help their rebuild by taking Pence, Myers, and Lindstrom.

But in all seriousness, I wouldn't mind Berkman. As bad as he has been, his numbers aren't as bad as you might think. He is still OPSing over .800.

If Berkman were fit enough to play LF I wouldn't mind a deal for him - I don't think that's so though. It would be for 2 or 3 second-line propsects though - none of the front-line kids.

Buster_ESPN

Heard this: The White Sox consider Lance Berkman as one of their Plan B options, now what they don't expect to get Adam Dunn.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I want to know why Buster feels the need to start every tweet with heard this. Rather annoying.

Well it's better then saying what he is actualy doing
    "making this up.."

Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Well it's better then saying what he is actualy doing
    "making this up.."

LOL

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

I guess the real question is, would adding Berkman be worth taking away a/b's from Jonny Gomes or even Jay Bruce?

If Gomes shifted to RF on a night that they wanted to rest Bruce, would our OF defense suffer?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I guess the real question is, would adding Berkman be worth taking away a/b's from Jonny Gomes or even Jay Bruce?

If Gomes shifted to RF on a night that they wanted to rest Bruce, would our OF defense suffer?
    Yes is an understatement.

Turn Off Ads?