Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why was the Cantu trade thread closed?

Why was the Cantu trade thread closed?

I don't know who to directly ask this question to, since I don't know who closed it, so I'll ask here. I don't see another thread on the topic, except for the one about deadline deals that isn't for discussion. The trade happened, it's been confirmed, if there's another thread on the subject, someone let me know and I'll go there to discuss the deal, but if this is another case where there's an unwritten rule where we don't discuss a former Red because the conversation could potentially get heated, well then that's just silly.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Why was the Cantu trade thread closed?

I was wondering the same thing. I thought I'd see it listed in the transactions thread but found nothing. Beats me

Very strange going ons.

Dunno pal. Carry on with the discussion though.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I was wondering the same thing. I thought I'd see it listed in the transactions thread but found nothing. Beats me
    BTW, if you're referring to the transactions thread I started, I didn't add it there, until it was, by my judgment, absolutely confirmed. It is now there. But that thread's not for discussion anyway.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

No soup for you.

Still can't believe the Reds cut Cantu loose without getting anything in return, much the same way they sold Cody Ross for change. Were both of those moves under DanO?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Still can't believe the Reds cut Cantu loose without getting anything in return, much the same way they sold Cody Ross for change. Were both of those moves under DanO?

Both moves were made by Wayne Krivsky.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Both moves were made by Wayne Krivsky.
    Okay. Even at the time those moves were made, you'd think he could have gotten more, or at least something...

Okay. Even at the time those moves were made, you'd think he could have gotten more, or at least something...

I agree. I'm no fan of WK's.

Cantu had no place to play for the Reds, he's a 1b who pretends to play 3rd.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Cantu had no place to play for the Reds, he's a 1b who pretends to play 3rd.
    I'm not questioning that, or pining to have him back, just remarking that he had to have value to someone else

The Reds declined him arbitration and the Marlins picked him up on a minor league deal, I don't think there was much interest for him at the time.
    Go Gators!

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

When the Reds fished Cantu out of the Rays system in 2007 on a flier, he'd spent most of the year in Triple-A after OPSing .699 the year before. At the end of 2007, he had 115 official at-bats in the majors with one home run, and it wasn't like he was adding defensive value. Good on him that he got his career turned around, but he hadn't done anything that made him worth keeping when it was time for the Reds to decide to either offer arbitration or non-tender him.

Ross is a little harder to understand because he just didn't get a chance to play, being injured right after he got here. But even then, we got him off the DFA heap in the first place, so until he played enough to establish value he wasn't going to have any on the trade market.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Turn Off Ads?