Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am not bashing...

I am not bashing...

but can I ask something? why won't jocketty make a move? I realize their isn't much in the market right now that he would be willing to give up the farm for but, he needs to make a small move in order for this team to make a stretch run, I think we got a great team already and honestly...if I would trade for somebody it would be brandon league from seattle and that kid can flat pitch, he would be a great addition to this team.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Redlegs_87

Re: I am not bashing...

I think i'll trust Walt with whatever he decides. I am sure he is trying to find something worthwhile.

He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

Maybe because making a move just to make a move is entirely stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by redlegs00 View Post
    but can I ask something? why won't jocketty make a move? I realize their isn't much in the market right now that he would be willing to give up the farm for but, he needs to make a small move in order for this team to make a stretch run, I think we got a great team already and honestly...if I would trade for somebody it would be brandon league from seattle and that kid can flat pitch, he would be a great addition to this team.
    A right-handed non-closing reliever is not someone I want to give up much of anything for. I think you have to be careful not to make a move for the sake of making a move.

Since the All-Star break the right handers in the Reds bullpen, specifically Masset, Ondrusek and Jordan have pitched 21 innings without giving up a run.

Why overpay for a guy like League when he is at best, a marginal upgrade over what the Reds currently have. No point making a deal simply to make a deal

Quote Originally Posted by HalMorrisRules View Post
    Maybe because making a move just to make a move is entirely stupid.
    I was going to say the same thing.

Walt would pull the trigger if there was a deal out there worth it. He doesn't want to risk the future when there isn't anyone available that is going to push us over the brink. There just isn't anyone out there.

ummm if im not mistaken the past 2 yrs walt has made a move, but not until the very last minute. the griffey deal was last minute, and so was the rolen deal. im sure walt is taking and making some calls, so we'll have to see

Schnickelfritz

If you've listened to anything Jocketty has said, he's used the words "significant upgrade". I don't think anyone beyond Lee, Haren, or Oswalt (significant upgrades) would be worth picking up.

And if we have a great team already, what's the worry about trading?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I don't think he'll make a move.

I feel like when an organization has a great farm system, that opposing teams looking to trade, actually ask for more in return just because you have better prospects. And when you turn them down and decide to stand pat, those same opposing teams will make the trade with some other team for significantly less. Boggles my mind sometimes. But had we offered a comparable player to what they got, they would have scoffed at it. Go figure.

I don't feel like having our minors raked. I'll be just as content to maybe do some trading and free agent signing in the offseason when Arroyo and Harang are free agents, and guys like Bailey and Dickerson are completely healthy. Also, we won't have to DFA anybody who has contributed thus far to this great season. It will kind of work itself out in the offseason with guys like Nix.

I think you'll see the roster fine tuned after the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I don't think he'll make a move.

I feel like when an organization has a great farm system, that opposing teams looking to trade, actually ask for more in return just because you have better prospects. And when you turn them down and decide to stand pat, those same opposing teams will make the trade with some other team for significantly less. Boggles my mind sometimes. But had we offered a comparable player to what they got, they would have scoffed at it. Go figure.

I don't feel like having our minors raked. I'll be just as content to maybe do some trading and free agent signing in the offseason when Arroyo and Harang are free agents, and guys like Bailey and Dickerson are completely healthy. Also, we won't have to DFA anybody who has contributed thus far to this great season. It will kind of work itself out in the offseason with guys like Nix.

I think you'll see the roster fine tuned after the season.
    Agree

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs_87 View Post
    I think i'll trust Walt with whatever he decides. I am sure he is trying to find something worthwhile.
    agreed his decides

but can I ask something? why won't jocketty make a move?
    22,000 average attendance = no money

Why won't Walt make a move? Maybe because he thinks the current team has all it needs to win? The pitching is pretty good, the defense has been good, the offense has been great overall. The Reds have been hanging right in there with the best of the division for a couple of months now. I don't see any reason why that shouldn't continue.

Walt will make move in my opinion. It's not worth much my opinion, but I say he does. He always did when he was with the Cards and they were almost always in contention. Brought in someone to help finish it off. I say he is lying in the weeds trying to get Jose Bautista from the Blue Jays. Once again my opinion it is not worth much. But I say something gets done.

This team has a chance to contend for years to come as it is set up now. Why potentially ruin that by trading away what could be a key piece of the future to try and win the WS now? They are better off spending the money by giving Votto an extension then trying to take on another high-priced OF for the stretch run. Sure, maybe Gomes has come back to Earth and Stubbs has done all he's going to do (read: he'll be a .238 hitter the rest of the season), but even so I would rather take my chances with what we have than mortgage the farm for a reliever who might go all Majewski on us.

Turn Off Ads?