Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Observation preceded by disclaimer

Observation preceded by disclaimer

I am not in panic mode, nor will I begin cursing Walt Jocketty for suggesting he's not doing his job properly. I am a big Jocketty fan, and I believe this Reds' club will be in the race until the last day of the season.

With that prefaced, it's the proverbial night before baseball Christmas and I feel like the Reds are getting a lump of coal under their trade deadline tree. I'm certain it's not for a lack of trying, and no trade is better than a bad trade. Still, after 10 years of mediocrity, one can't help but feel letdown if nothing happens.

Perhaps something will get done before 4 PM. It just doesn't feel like it. And with already over 15 trades having gone down this month--and still more to come--it's bitter tasting that the Reds haven't gotten anything done.

But hey, I still believe in the organization. That hasn't been an easy thing to say. And this team is capable of winning without help. It's just going to be a bit of a disappointment if nothing goes down.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Observation preceded by disclaimer

I hear ya. I'm going to be extremely disappointed if the Reds don't make a move. The Reds need another outfielder (Luke Scott?) and another arm.

I'm still disappointed over not landing Cliff Lee. He would have locked the division up for the Reds, IMO.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Don't sweat it. If it doesn't happen, it means it shouldn't have happened.

I think a deal gets done with Toronto for Downs or Frasier.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

I look to Jocketty to go for quantity instead of quality. I could see a couple deals going for Luke Scott + Rafael Betancourt. Don't get me wrong--they're quality--but they're not the superstars that Reds fans tend to lust for at the deadline.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

I don't think they'll trade for a SS or an OF. I think they feel they've got what they need already in those areas, right or wrong.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5
    2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I'm not sure I see many guys out there who are notably better than what we've got -- at least not for the prices teams are demanding. I would not give up Alonso for 15 IP of a marginally better RP.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I'm not sure I see many guys out there who are notably better than what we've got -- at least not for the prices teams are demanding. I would not give up Alonso for 15 IP of a marginally better RP.
    I'm not sure the prices that are being reported are accurate. Take a look at the deals that have been done this month. It's most definitely a buyer's market. There has not been a single trade thus far where the team upgrading the roster has arguably overpaid. If anything, the sellers have been woefully undercompensated.

I am not expecting a Zack Greinke type. Though it would be nice, I'm really just hoping for (as OBM said), a Luke Scott - Rafael Betancourt type of move. Those are guys that could help the roster without, presumably, costing too much.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

There will still be deals to be made in August.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    There will still be deals to be made in August.
    True, but typically not the blockbuster type of deal, more the extra pieces moves.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I'm not sure the prices that are being reported are accurate. Take a look at the deals that have been done this month. It's most definitely a buyer's market. There has not been a single trade thus far where the team upgrading the roster has arguably overpaid. If anything, the sellers have been woefully undercompensated.

I am not expecting a Zack Greinke type. Though it would be nice, I'm really just hoping for (as OBM said), a Luke Scott - Rafael Betancourt type of move. Those are guys that could help the roster without, presumably, costing too much.
    I'm expecting a big name that we have not even brought up yet... .... Carl Crawford

I would not put it past WJ to grab a name that no one is expecting. The reds have the depth in the minors to grab someone with a name better than Downs or Scott. The Fins could still be disgruntled with Hanley or the Mets could unload Reyes. WJ is crafty and can make the unexpected happen. Granted all are pipe dreams but the point is WJ is good at his job and the Reds have the ammo.
    "Last week I helped my friend stay put. It's a lot easier'n helpin' 'em move. I just went over to his house and made sure that he did not start to load **** into a truck."

Sometimes the best deals are the ones you don't make.

I trust Walt.

We're not the Yankees.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post
    I'm expecting a big name that we have not even brought up yet... .... Carl Crawford

I would not put it past WJ to grab a name that no one is expecting. The reds have the depth in the minors to grab someone with a name better than Downs or Scott. The Fins could still be disgruntled with Hanley or the Mets could unload Reyes. WJ is crafty and can make the unexpected happen. Granted all are pipe dreams but the point is WJ is good at his job and the Reds have the ammo.
    Funny thing is, I've had that thought for the last two weeks -- that if the Reds make a trade, it will be for someone few (if any) of us saw coming.

IMO, the single biggest impact player rumored to be available at this point when assessing the Reds strengths and weaknesses is Stephen Drew... They certainly wouldn't be losing any defense and would be gaining by leaps and bounds with the bat... And Drew has historically hit well from the lead-off spot... allowing you to move Phillips to 2nd, and still maintaining the good ol' l/r/l/r/l/r approach...
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Sometimes the best deals are the ones you don't make.
    Very true. I'd much rather see Walt stand pat and address the needs of the club during the off season than to over pay for relief pitching or minor upgrades before the deadline.

My main issue continues to be that it's a buyer's market. Heck, the Pirates just acquired Chris Snyder--a decent catch for them.

I sure hope Walt has a flare for the dramatic on this lol

Turn Off Ads?