Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Harang & Homer

Harang & Homer

What do you do with these guys? What we have now is working why mess with it.

Does Harang pitch again for the Reds? I really do not think he will like going to the pen.

Do you put Homer in the pen?

The Bullpen has been close to the best in the NL for the last 2 months so do you really want to move one or two of those guys back to the minors for H & H? Have either worked in the pen before?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Harang & Homer

I agree that Harang would not like going to the pen. He seems to severely overrate his own abilities. He still thinks he's as good as we was in '06 and '07. If I'm Baker I tell him his role on this team is now in the pen. If he doesn't like it then he doesn't play. You cannot start him anymore.

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

Why don't we wait to see what Volquez does his next couple of starts? I hope he bounces back, but the Reds can't keep running him out there if he doesn't.

I think a lot depends on Volquez's next start.

Homer will have to be in the pen. He isnt going to get a rotation spot. Harang on the other hand makes too much money and Dusty has been quoted a few times talking about "salaries" or something.

Speaking of guys on the DL, what ever happened to Mike Lincoln? 60 day DL for a strained back? or was there something else wrong?

... not that I am complaining, I was just curious.

The title of this thread sounds like a bad 80's Comedy show.....

Quote Originally Posted by Orodle View Post
    I think a lot depends on Volquez's next start.
    Agree. At this point Volquez is up in the air, and there is a point where Leake might be "shut down." If either Harang or Bailey is actually healthy and ready to go, I think they'll have the opportunity.

I'd like to see Homer finish out the year as the AAA closer, possibly grooming him for a new long term role with the big club if successful. The rate Cordero is going, he's going to eat himself out of the closer role by spring training 2011.

Harang? Meh. I suppose that there is a place on the staff for Harang considering the questions surrounding Volquez and the need to minimize Leake's innings. In any case, I don't think Harang will be back until September so it's largely a moot point.

Harang needs to rehab in the minors and prove he can get them out before trying to think about getting Major League hitters out.

Formerly Farsighted Fan sabometrics's Avatar

Bailey may step in for Volquez if he doesn't turn things around in the next two starts. If Edinson does get things together, I feel Bailey would in turn be destined for the bullpen. Harang ... I don't know. If Volquez/Bailey are healthy and throwing well by mid-August I could see us putting him through waivers simply because he doesn't fit in the current mix. The bullpen is not an option for him. If there is no need for him in the rotation the FO needs to just cut our losses with him and get whatever they can.
    "He looked like a surfer kid from SoCal," manager Dusty Baker says. "He didn't say much, but you could tell he was cool."

I'd like to see Bailey in the bullpen down the stretch.

I still hope starter longterm for him.

Another 5 Walks by Volquez.

Another extremely poor WHIP by Volquez today.

Another taxing effort on our bullpen because Volquez isn't learning "how to pitch".

Hopefully, Bailey pitches lights out in AAA and forces a move. Volquez may be the odd guy out if he doesn't improve.

Again, these things always have a way of working themselves out. (Not Volquez learning how to pitch, but who gets sent down if some guy is forcing his way into the lineup.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Another 5 Walks by Volquez.

Another extremely poor WHIP by Volquez today.

Another taxing effort on our bullpen because Volquez isn't learning "how to pitch".

Hopefully, Bailey pitches lights out in AAA and forces a move. Volquez may be the odd guy out if he doesn't improve.

Again, these things always have a way of working themselves out. (Not Volquez learning how to pitch, but who gets sent down if some guy is forcing his way into the lineup.)
    I gotta tell ya buddy... Edinson, (who I am not in his corner) is doing pretty dang good. If he can find his command (less walks) his pitch count will improve thus he will get ito the 7th inning...

I would rather have EV out there for 5 innings alllowing 1 run, then the alternative allowing 4-5 runs in 6 or 7 Innings... Which is what you would have if this team had to go with Lehr or Maloney or someone else from AAA...

Bailey cant be sent down to AAA I don't think. He would be a great set up man. He generally does VERY well his first time through Lineups.

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    What do you do with these guys? What we have now is working why mess with it.

Does Harang pitch again for the Reds? I really do not think he will like going to the pen.

Do you put Homer in the pen?

The Bullpen has been close to the best in the NL for the last 2 months so do you really want to move one or two of those guys back to the minors for H & H? Have either worked in the pen before?
    I would assume the 2 guys most likely to go back to the Minors, would be Smith and Ondrusek. But how can that happen to either of those guys? Ondrusek can be intiminating, and Smith with those sinking pitches may well be that elusive closer-in-waiting (from within no less) Reds fans have been hoping for.

Turn Off Ads?