Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bobby Cox on the Reds

Bobby Cox on the Reds

From Hal McCoy:

ATLANTA MANAGER Bobby Cox, on his farewell tour before retirement while leading his team toward an NL East championship, is impressed with the Reds and said he’d love an Atlanta-Cincinnati playoff series.

“I like that team,” said Cox. “Their pitching seems to be good, they have a nice bullpen and they have Joey Votto and Scott Rolen. Votto is impressive, but even more so is Rolen. He’s the best professional player, just the best. He plays it the way it is supposed to be played and he is playing it at a high calibre right now. You know he is not 100 per cent every day, but he doesn’t show it, especially with his back problems.

“His hamstring is bothering him?” Cox said. “Well, his hamstring may be bothering him but he is still the best baserunner they have. And Votto is a good baserunner, too.”

Cox mentioned the home run Votto hit Friday off relief pitcher Takashi Saito, the only home run Saito has given up in his career. “That came off one of the best relievers in baseball,” he said. “Impressive.”
    http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs...cxtype=feedbot

I like Bobby Cox, it seems like he's always got something nice to say about the Reds.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bobby Cox on the Reds

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    From Hal McCoy:

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs...cxtype=feedbot

I like Bobby Cox, it seems like he's always got something nice to say about the Reds.
    As much as I like it, it's probably flattery leading up to a possible playoff series.

Bobby Cox is one of my favorite managers, but this is coachspeak IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Votto didn't homer off Takashi Saito on Friday, it was off Johnny Venters FWIW.

Gonna miss Cox in a strange way. Always nice to hear a guy with so much knowledge and who tells it like it is saying good things about our squad.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

all Cox will ever be known for is playoff disappointments and ejections. sorry, not a fan at all.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Quote Originally Posted by The Voice of IH View Post
    all Cox will ever be known for is playoff disappointments and ejections. sorry, not a fan at all.
    Five pennants and a World Series ring speak for themselves, my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Five pennants and a World Series ring speak for themselves, my friend.
    Also a run of 14 straight years with a division title from 1991 to 2005. I can't see how he wont be Cooperstown bound.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Also a run of 14 straight years with a division title from 1991 to 2005. I can't see how he wont be Cooperstown bound.
    Yep, I believe Bobby Cox is a lock to make the HOF.

If Bobby Cox isn't a lock to make the HOF, there is no such thing as a lock.

Cox is going to the HOF. At the same time, when you win 14 straight divisions and only one World Series it's certainly fair to talk about playoff disappointments.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    If Bobby Cox isn't a lock to make the HOF, there is no such thing as a lock.
    Agreed.

I personally hate the "14 straight divisions" point - they did not win it in 1994- the Expos were in 1st place when the strike hit. I know it's a moot point as baseball decided how to count records, but it still irritates me to see that.

That said, Cox' longevity and consistent winning since he went back to Atlanta in the late 80s has been remarkable and definitely HOF worthy.

Did anybody see the article on him in last weeks Sports Illustrated? It was very good.

Cox might be a great manager, but he hit a woman and I can't get past that. He's a jerk, IMO.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Bobby Cox was a great villain, and great villains deserve our respect.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    Votto didn't homer off Takashi Saito on Friday, it was off Johnny Venters FWIW.
    And Saito has given up HRs in his career before. If he'd been around this long and hadn't, it would be pretty incredible and well known.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Might be the best regular season manager in baseball history.

Certainly the only first ballot manager I can think of.

Turn Off Ads?