Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Chapman close to being ready to be called up according to Jocketty

Re: Chapman close to being ready to be called up according to Jocketty

Smart thing would be to leave him there till Sept. Right now the bullpen is humming and no reason to demote those who are doing the job.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    Smart thing would be to leave him there till Sept. Right now the bullpen is humming and no reason to demote those who are doing the job.
    Chapman is blowing people away right now in AAA. If he's going to come up and be our best reliever, that is a good reason to demote somebody.

I'm so glad the Reds didn't trade prospects for a reliever. Looking forward to seeing him toss some of that 100mph heat.

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    good point....I see both sides of this...I dont think there is a wrong way to go about this...that is until the move is made and we can use hindsight to see what happened....but Chapman needs to be up here in Bill Brays spot, IMO.....why not?

Seems like there might be some roster trickery that gets Chapman here without losing Bray until we get to Sept.

Could demote Janish (since he's not being used anyway) and keep him on a short leash (i.e. only if the Bats are staying in Lou for awhile and the Reds are home so he can be at the ballpark in a couple hours). Maybe that buys a week.

Or demote Leake or Wood after they pitch and go with an 8 man pen and bring them back when it's their turn again. That buys 4 days for Wood and maybe 3 or 4 more for Leake or vice versa. Or you could even stretch that another 2 or 3 days if you demote Smith or Ondrusek or Bray when they would need rest anyway if they've pitched a few days in a row.

I don't know who will be sent down when/if Chapman is called up, but it sure is nice to have talented options available now, after years of being so shorthanded. It's exciting to be a Reds fan again! Now sweep the Bucs!

Are avatars a perk?

I don't see how Chapman comes up here before September. I'm not convinced that he's done with his control problems. Hitters are more patient in the big leagues.

The Smiling Side AintlifeGrande's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bshall2105 View Post
    Exactly, and now that I know Bray can be optioned this year I'm convinced he's the guy that loses his spot to Chapman.
    Bray has busted his butt to get back to the bigs,and the only leftie besides Rhodes.Of course you can option him down to the minors and ride Rhodes arm till it falls off.

Formerly Farsighted Fan sabometrics's Avatar

I like Bray as much as the next guy but Chapman's talent and his numbers over the last month are going to necessitate that he gets a look before the playoff rosters have to be set. We have to get some idea what he can do in the majors over the course of 5-10 appearances before August 31st. If Chapman comes up in September and absolutely dominates, or even just proves he's better than Bray, people will be livid that he would be ineligible for the playoffs.
    "He looked like a surfer kid from SoCal," manager Dusty Baker says. "He didn't say much, but you could tell he was cool."

Quote Originally Posted by AintlifeGrande View Post
    Bray has busted his butt to get back to the bigs,and the only leftie besides Rhodes.Of course you can option him down to the minors and ride Rhodes arm till it falls off.
    Chapman would be replacing Bray. You do realize he is left handed don't you? I don't get how switching one lefty for another would invlove riding Rhodes until his arm falls off.

Mike Lincoln busted his butt to get back to the big leagues too. Sometimes that's just not good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    Or demote Leake or Wood after they pitch and go with an 8 man pen and bring them back when it's their turn again. That buys 4 days for Wood and maybe 3 or 4 more for Leake or vice versa. Or you could even stretch that another 2 or 3 days if you demote Smith or Ondrusek or Bray when they would need rest anyway if they've pitched a few days in a row.
    Don't you have to wait at least a week before you can bring a guy pack up after demoting him, unless he's coming up to replace someone going on the DL?
    Sto Pro Veritate

Quote Originally Posted by bshall2105 View Post
    Chapman would be replacing Bray. You do realize he is left handed don't you? I don't get how switching one lefty for another would invlove riding Rhodes until his arm falls off.
    Yeah the decision seems easy. Bray gets sent down. He hasn't been as good as everyone else has been lately. Ondrusek has 18+ scoreless inning streak. And it's lefty for lefty like you said. This thread could have been much shorter. Very perplexing.

Formerly Farsighted Fan sabometrics's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Girevik View Post
    Don't you have to wait at least a week before you can bring a guy pack up after demoting him, unless he's coming up to replace someone going on the DL?
    Yes, You have to wait 10 days minimum unless the player is replacing someone who went to the DL.
    "He looked like a surfer kid from SoCal," manager Dusty Baker says. "He didn't say much, but you could tell he was cool."

it feels really good to know that the Reds organization right now is extremely deep!!!

Turn Off Ads?