Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Chapman close to being ready to be called up according to Jocketty

Redlegs_87

Chapman close to being ready to be called up according to Jocketty

EDIT: Didn't see the other thread with this in it before I posted. My bad

Cuban fireballer Aroldis Chapman is close to being ready to be called to the big leagues, said Reds general manager Walt Jocketty.

The Reds have received “very good” reports on him, he said.

“The reports are he’s adapting and feeling more comfortable down there (coming out of the bullpen),” Jocketty said.

It’s just a matter of some refinement for Chapman now – getting 100 percent command and consistency.
    http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...the-difference
    Last edited by Redlegs_87; 08-01-2010 at 08:31 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Chapman close to being called up according to Jocketty

Great News! I can't wait to see him pitch!

Re: Chapman close to being ready to be called up according to Jocketty

The question is who goes down? And what do the Reds do when Bailey and Harang are ready to come of the DL. Some very tough decisions to make for the Reds.

I think Harang may not be ready for the rest of the year. Or at least for a long time. Not sure what's going to happen with Bailey. I'd put him in line to take Leake's spot when his innings are up, but based on how often Leake is pitching, that could still be quite a ways off.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanInBama View Post
    I think Harang may not be ready for the rest of the year. Or at least for a long time. Not sure what's going to happen with Bailey. I'd put him in line to take Leake's spot when his innings are up, but based on how often Leake is pitching, that could still be quite a ways off.
    I think they are going to use him in the Bull Pen as an 8th Inning Set up man the rest of this year. Or were you just refering to the roster spot? If so I apologize.

Hasn't Walt been saying this basically the whole season? I remember 2 months ago he was going to be called up in three weeks but that never happened.

No way do they send down Ondrusek. That means it's Smith who gets replaced. That or he is simply a September call up.

Quote Originally Posted by scott91575 View Post
    No way do they send down Ondrusek. That means it's Smith who gets replaced. That or he is simply a September call up.
    It will be Bray before Smith. Bray's a fellow lefty and has been the least impressive in the bullpen other than Cordero.

Agreed. No way you can send Smith down right now. He's pitching too well. It will be Bray IMO. Lefty for lefty.

Agreed. No way you can send Smith down right now. He's pitching too well. It will be Bray IMO. Lefty for lefty.
    Does he have any options left? At 27 it's unlikely. I would not like to see Bray gone for nothing.

You never know, I'm sure Dusty would love having 3 lefties in the pen to help limit Arthur.

You're probably right. I'd be a shame to see that happen on a team in contention.

Of course I've been kind of puzzled by Smith. Not sure how he was getting hit the way he was in AA and yet he can be this good at the ML level. Makes me think at some point this season he'll come back to earth. But his stuff looks legit.

Edit: I see now that Smith is pretty horrendous against lefties.
    Last edited by RedsFanInBama; 08-01-2010 at 10:34 PM.

You're probably right. I'd be a shame to see that happen on a team in contention.

Truth be told, I feel as good about Smith's chances of getting a given lefty out as I do Bray's. Of course I've been kind of puzzled by Smith. Not sure how he was getting hit the way he was in AA and yet he can be this good at the ML level. Makes me think at some point this season he'll come back to earth. But his stuff looks legit.
    It's more than likely because he's a groundball pitcher. It's a lot easier to get people out with 3 gold glovers in the infield, people actually make plays up here.

Formerly Farsighted Fan sabometrics's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bshall2105 View Post
    Hasn't Walt been saying this basically the whole season? I remember 2 months ago he was going to be called up in three weeks but that never happened.
    I'm not sure he's gone on the record said "he's close to being called up" before, but he has always said he is improving and will be called up only when he is ready. Only, this time it's pretty clear that Chapman is only a few baby steps away. He's gone 9 straight appearances without an earned run, he's pitched on back-to-back days on two separate occasions, and adding today, he has pitched in 5 out of the last 7 days. He's showing he can perform day-in, day-out, and be damn good at it. If he's not up within the next 10 days or so I will be surprised.
    "He looked like a surfer kid from SoCal," manager Dusty Baker says. "He didn't say much, but you could tell he was cool."

I have a question for anybody that has seen Aroldis pitch.

Does he show a lot of emotion when he's on the mound? If he gets out of a big jam like he did tonight does he celebrate, or just go back to the dugout? Also if he walks somebody in a big situation does he show frustration, or just get the ball back and attack the next hitter?

Turn Off Ads?