Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Chapman close to being ready to be called up according to Jocketty

Re: Chapman close to being ready to be called up according to Jocketty

Chapman's last 8 appearances: 9.1 IP, 6 H, 0 ER, 2 BB, 15 K

I guess thats good

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think Owings can be a decent 4 or 5 in a rotation for a team, I don't understand why we couldn't have traded him and got ANYTHING for him, instead of possibly just releasing him or something.

bshall, I saw Chapman pitch last week against the Gwinnett Braves. He wasn't emotional one way or the other. Averaged 95+ and hit 100 mph once (crowd gasped). His off speed was 84-86. Someone hit a rocket back through the mound which he caught. The key for Chapman is to throw strikes. Nothing worse than a reliever who walks guys.

Formerly Farsighted Fan sabometrics's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bshall2105 View Post
    I have a question for anybody that has seen Aroldis pitch.

Does he show a lot of emotion when he's on the mound? If he gets out of a big jam like he did tonight does he celebrate, or just go back to the dugout? Also if he walks somebody in a big situation does he show frustration, or just get the ball back and attack the next hitter?
    From a few instances reading here on the boards I believe Chapman is known to catch balls thrown back to him after a pitch barehanded if he feels he's being squeezed/is frustrated.

I don't know how long ago I read those reports though.
    "He looked like a surfer kid from SoCal," manager Dusty Baker says. "He didn't say much, but you could tell he was cool."

Where do they have room for him?Rosters aren't expanding for a while now.Send down Masset,Ondrusek?Bray,Rhodes are the only lefties out the pen.With Springer coming up you gotta send Fisher down.Question is do you send Wood down for Bailey and mess up the continuity of the rotation right now?
    Not to mention the talk about Homer in the bullpen so Wood could stay up.You can't put a bunch of arms in the pen with out a roster spot.
    Last edited by Jr's Boy; 08-01-2010 at 11:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jr's Boy View Post
    Where do they have room for him?Rosters aren't expanding for a while now.Send down Masset,Ondrusek?Bray,Rhodes are the only lefties out the pen.With Springer coming up you gotta send Fisher down.Question is do you send Wood down for Bailey and mess up the continuity of the rotation right now?
    Not to mention the talk about Homer in the bullpen so Wood could stay up.You can't put a bunch of arms in the pen with out a roster spot.
    Masset, Ondrusek, Rhodes, and Cordero are 100% staying. Smith is like 90%, with his inexperience being the factor that keeps him from 100%. Wood isn't going anywhere, not the way he's pitching.
    "He looked like a surfer kid from SoCal," manager Dusty Baker says. "He didn't say much, but you could tell he was cool."

Quote Originally Posted by sabometrics View Post
    Masset, Ondrusek, Rhodes, and Cordero are 100% staying. Smith is like 90%, with his inexperience being the factor that keeps him from 100%. Wood isn't going anywhere, not the way he's pitching.
    Exactly, and now that I know Bray can be optioned this year I'm convinced he's the guy that loses his spot to Chapman.

Quote Originally Posted by ILoveWilly View Post
    I think Owings can be a decent 4 or 5 in a rotation for a team, I don't understand why we couldn't have traded him and got ANYTHING for him, instead of possibly just releasing him or something.
    We still could trade him for something.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanInBama View Post
    We still could trade him for something.
    We might be able to get a bucket of baseballs for him, that may be a a little too much to ask though.

Exactly, and now that I know Bray can be optioned this year I'm convinced he's the guy that loses his spot to Chapman.
    Bray has options left? I know he played in the minors in '06, and used an option in '08. I am not sure about '07. He was in the minors, but I am not sure if that was a burned option. '09 he had some minor league time also. Was there enough rehab time to save an option for him?

Quote Originally Posted by scott91575 View Post
    Bray has options left? I know he played in the minors in '06, and used an option in '08. I am not sure about '07. He was in the minors, but I am not sure if that was a burned option. '09 he had some minor league time also. Was there enough rehab time to save an option for him?
    According to Reds44 in the minor league thread Bill Bray has been optioned once this year, so apparently he does have one more left.

Good to know. Gives us a little more wiggle room.

Adding Chapman could be better than adding any of the relievers that were on the market at the deadline.

He could be like K-Rod in 2002 for the Angels, who was the main reason why the Angels won the World Series that year.

According to Reds44 in the minor league thread Bill Bray has been optioned once this year, so apparently he does have one more left.
    It does look like he was optioned to Louisville to start the year.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseb...08676657_x.htm

I guess an option wasn't used in 2007.
    Last edited by scott91575; 08-02-2010 at 07:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
    bshall, I saw Chapman pitch last week against the Gwinnett Braves. He wasn't emotional one way or the other. Averaged 95+ and hit 100 mph once (crowd gasped). His off speed was 84-86. Someone hit a rocket back through the mound which he caught. The key for Chapman is to throw strikes. Nothing worse than a reliever who walks guys.
    Yeah, we already have a few who can't throw strikes consistently: Volquez, Cordero, Masset, Bray, Bailey. They all seem to go through stretches where they can't seem to get ahead of batters.

Turn Off Ads?