Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reds Top Prospects- August 2010 Edition

Re: Reds Top Prospects- August 2010 Edition

These high average guys in the low minors scare me a bit, especially if the ISO is low. Without a good scouting report, it's hard to tell whether or not he's got any plate discipline. Is he swinging at everything and just has good enough contact skills (combined with poor fields and defenders) to get a lot of hits. As those guys move up, they could get exposed and really struggle. Or they could just be really good hitters and continue to succeed. It's hard to get a good read on it.

It looks like Hamilton is taking a decent amount of walks and hitting with some pop -- both good to see.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    I've been looking through the minors and I'm not sure there is a better SS prospect in AAA than Cozart. I dont want to get ahead of myself but honestly I look at the basic stats and is it unreasonable to suggest that there really isnt a better SS prospect in the high level of the minors? There are similar ones for sure but are any of them heads above any of the others?
    The Yankees hav a guy named Eduardo Nunez who is hitting over .300. Someone said he was going to push Jeter into center which I doubt.

The Marlins have a guy named Osvaldo Martinez at Jacksonville. He is having a breakout year, but there is a guy named Ramirez in his way.

Then there is Josh Horn of the independent American Association. Of course he is a Wichita Wingnut. He may be a real one for all I know. Maybe that is why no one will touch him.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    The Yankees hav a guy named Eduardo Nunez who is hitting over .300. Someone said he was going to push Jeter into center which I doubt.

The Marlins have a guy named Osvaldo Martinez at Jacksonville. He is having a breakout year, but there is a guy named Ramirez in his way.

Then there is Josh Horn of the independent American Association. Of course he is a Wichita Wingnut. He may be a real one for all I know. Maybe that is why no one will touch him.
    He said AAA.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    He said AAA.
    Nunez plays for the Yankees AAA team.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Thanks for the feedback everybody.

One word: Projectability

David Sappelt has performed very well this season. But in addition to the build which you mentioned, Sappelt's tools simply don't grade out nearly as well as Yorman's do. Sappelt is also six years older than Yorman, and putting up strong numbers in the minors for the first time since he was a 21-year old in Billings. By the time Yorman is Sappelt's age, let's hope that he is challenging for his first All-Star team in Cincinnati, not having his first good season in AA.
    Sappelt has never hit under .280 for an entire season. When has he not put up good numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Sappelt has never hit under .280 for an entire season. When has he not put up good numbers?
    He has never OPS'd over .750 other than as a 21 year old at Billings.
    Go BLUE!!!

That's a misleading statement. To go the other way, he has OPSed at least .850 every year of his career except once.

Yes that is very misleading seeing that he is in only his third season of professional baseball. If you count his college years last year was the only one where his OPS fell under .750.

Some interesting numbers on Frazier and his abysmal start to the season.

OPS by month

April: .599
    May: .666
    June: .803
    July: .767
    August: 1.015

The last 10 games...impressive: .350/.435/.575/1.010

I've seen Osvaldo play at AA jax all year. Nice player, nothing spectacular on defense. I'd defintely take Cozart.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I've seen Osvaldo play at AA jax all year. Nice player, nothing spectacular on defense. I'd defintely take Cozart.
    Yea this is kind of the general point. It seems like the difference between the top talents and next group of guys is so small at the SS position these days. You look at Cozart and you honestly have to think "is this guy one of the best SS prospects in baseball" The answer is probably no just because of guys who profile and project better but its hard to discount Cozart being just as good as basically all of them.

Turn Off Ads?