Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Who has been to Haiti?

Who has been to Haiti?

Or is involved with relief work there now or in the past?

I'm heading there at the end of July for a long week.....trying to gather as much insider info as possible. I've been remiss in checking w/ the RZ community, but would love to hear any insight, or about experiences any of you have had.

thanks~
    vr
    Last edited by VR; 07-16-2010 at 03:30 AM.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who has been to Haiti?

I haven't been but dozens of people from my church have been there. We just completed the first phase of construction on an orphan village. They say it's a life-changing experience.

What will you be doing down there?

Johnny Cueto Fan

Never been there. But good luck and God Bless for what you're doing to help

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

I have been to Port Au Prince...but I was a young child. I barely remember it....very hilly. Obviously much different now...I cannot fathom the devastation it has undergone. Bless you for going there to help. The Haitians definitely need it.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    Or is involved with relief work there now or in the past?

I'm heading there at the end of July for a long week.....trying to gather as much insider info as possible. I've been remiss in checking w/ the RZ community, but would love to hear any insight, or about experiences any of you have had.

thanks~
    vr
    VR, with what organization are you going with? I've kicked around the idea of doing one of those volunteer vacation type things but have never found the right avenue, at least around where I live...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    VR, with what organization are you going with? I've kicked around the idea of doing one of those volunteer vacation type things but have never found the right avenue, at least around where I live...
    No formal organization. Got back yesterday, it was the experience of a lifetime. If you can make it happen, I would strongly recommend it. Haiti is country in great disarray, but the people are amazing. Can't wait to go again.

No formal organization. Got back yesterday, it was the experience of a lifetime. If you can make it happen, I would strongly recommend it. Haiti is country in great disarray, but the people are amazing. Can't wait to go again.
    I would love to hear more about it.....how much did you spend out of pocket? where did you make reservations from? how many went in your group? did you feel safe while there? safe from danger? safe from disease? i guess I am just not sure what to expect but my wife has brought this up to me and we have diuscussed it, and its went no further, but I would love to hear more about it from you. keep us posted please.

That's a beautiful thing, VR.

I know you'll never forget it.

We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by lidspinner View Post
    I would love to hear more about it.....how much did you spend out of pocket? where did you make reservations from? how many went in your group? did you feel safe while there? safe from danger? safe from disease? i guess I am just not sure what to expect but my wife has brought this up to me and we have diuscussed it, and its went no further, but I would love to hear more about it from you. keep us posted please.
    We had a host family on a school campus....that made all the difference in the world. I did feel safe, but only because we had such good hosts to drive us to and from the worksite, feed us & shelter us, and keep us occupied.
    No shots are currently required, although the rest of our team got shots or took pills for malaria, hepatitis, etc. I chose not to, as I'm in good health, and am not a fan of shots.

It was relatively inexpensive outside of the plane tickets ($900 from Portland), but it all depends on what arrangements you can find.

There are teams and teams of people still going down, and the Haitians are very very thankful. The government has hosed them so badly over the years....they appreciate the kindness of individual Americans more than you can imagine.

I'd strongly recommend a lot of research, but I can guarantee you it will be a life changer.

Turn Off Ads?