Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Explaining the "Option Years" term

Re: Explaining the "Option Years" term

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    Yea, I dunno. I am pretty confident that Yonder won't be a Red come 2011 anyway. I just don't see the Reds keeping him.
    Having an extra option will add to his trade value

2. Turn Off Ads?
    -The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    A related question about the postseason roster. I know a guy has to be on the 25 by Aug. 31 to qualify. But my question is, does to have to be on the 25 on THAT DAY to qualify (provided he's not on the DL)? In other words, could they bring up, say, Francisco, now, send him back down in a couple weeks, and have him eligible for the postseason even if he's not called back up until around Sept. 5 or 10?
    He has to be on the active roster on Aug 31. If he is called up September 1, he's not eligible. If he was on the active roster all year and then sent down Aug 30, and recalled September 1, he's not eligible.

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    He has to be on the active roster on Aug 31. If he is called up September 1, he's not eligible. If he was on the active roster all year and then sent down Aug 30, and recalled September 1, he's not eligible.
    Thanks. So, effectively, the postseason roster has to be SET on Aug. 31. The full 25. And only an injury can alter it.

In the Reds' case, I think there's still an unusual number of players who might be in contention for spots. In the bullpen alone, the pool consists of 1) Cordero, 2) Rhodes, 3) Masset, 4) Isringhausen, 5) Springer, 6) Ondrusek, 7) Smith, 8) Bray, 9) Chapman, 10) Fisher, 11) Burton. I'd say that Fisher's and Burton's chances are slim, but probably better than Owings' or Herrera's.

Jordan Smith, in particular, has complicated all of this. I never expected him to place himself so squarely in the picture at so early a juncture. But he's been terrific.

But this is getting far afield of the subject . . .

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Thanks. So, effectively, the postseason roster has to be SET on Aug. 31. The full 25. And only an injury can alter it.

In the Reds' case, I think there's still an unusual number of players who might be in contention for spots. In the bullpen alone, the pool consists of 1) Cordero, 2) Rhodes, 3) Masset, 4) Isringhausen, 5) Springer, 6) Ondrusek, 7) Smith, 8) Bray, 9) Chapman, 10) Fisher, 11) Burton. I'd say that Fisher's and Burton's chances are slim, but probably better than Owings' or Herrera's.

Jordan Smith, in particular, has complicated all of this. I never expected him to place himself so squarely in the picture at so early a juncture. But he's been terrific.

But this is getting far afield of the subject . . .
    You're not the only one.

Turn Off Ads?