Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yonder Alonso named International League Player of the Week for 7/26-8/1

Yonder Alonso named International League Player of the Week for 7/26-8/1

From Jamie Ramsey:

Congratulations to Yonder Alonso who today was named International League Player of the Week for 7/26-8/1

http://twitter.com/Jamieblog

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Yonder Alonso named International League Player of the Week for 7/26-8/1

I don't know how you typed that so fast. I got the Tweet and came here to post the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    I don't know how you typed that so fast. I got the Tweet and came here to post the same thing.

Code:
            G  AVG   H   AB   R  2B 3B HR RBI SLUG BB SB
    Week:   6  .480  12  25   7  4  1  2  6   .960 4  0
    Season: 74 .286  85  297  32 21 1  9  42  .455 23 7

How much worse than Gomes would Alonso be as a left fielder? I'm talking strictly defensively here.

Worse. How much worse is very difficult to say. I'd bet Yonder could play left but he needs to put in a lot of work there before I'd want to see him there in Cincy.

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    Worse. How much worse is very difficult to say. I'd bet Yonder could play left but he needs to put in a lot of work there before I'd want to see him there in Cincy.
    Can you give us a comparison to Dunn?

He certainly cant have a worse arm.

From Ben Badler:

#Reds Triple-A 1B Yonder Alonso's last 200 PAs: .326/.377/.527 with 7 HRs. Hamate injury getting further in the past

http://twitter.com/BenBadler

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Can you give us a comparison to Dunn?
    Well, he's faster than Dunn but he doesn't have the instincts to tell him where to run to track down flyballs. I think he'd be a little better than Dunn. Dunn had problems fielding balls bouncing toward him.

-The Insider-

Dunn must be horrifically slow then because Yonder is extremely slow. Unless he's turned into Juan Pierre since last season.

I tell you what if Vottos wrist is tweeked enough I wouldnt mind giving Yonder a quick peak.

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    Well, he's faster than Dunn but he doesn't have the instincts to tell him where to run to track down flyballs. I think he'd be a little better than Dunn. Dunn had problems fielding balls bouncing toward him.
    Thanks, Goya. He sounds good enough to me to be opening day 2011's Left fielder.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Congrats to Yonder!

From minorleaguebaseball. com:

Yonder Alonso helped his red hot Louisville Bats to victories in each of the team’s six games this week, as he led the International League with a .480 batting average, 12 hits, and a .960 slugging percentage. He was 2nd in the League with a .552 on-base percentage and 4 doubles, and tied for 3rd with 2 home runs. Alonso and his teammates set the tone for the week on Monday, as they exploded for 19 runs in the series opener against Charlotte (with Alonso going 4-6 with a double, RBI, and two runs scored). The next night he put the Bats ahead for good with a solo homer in the 7th inning of a 7-5 victory. When the division-leading Columbus Clippers came to town over the weekend, Alonso continued his hot hitting. He drove in four runs in the 10-2 win Saturday night, collecting two doubles and a home run. His 11th and 12th hit of the week came yesterday in another Bats win, giving the team ten in a row. Louisville currently leads the Wild Card race by 3.0 games over Syracuse.

------------------------------------------------

As far as Left Field is concerned, I believe the Reds have given up on making him a left fielder, so I'm guessing he is pretty bad.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Resident PED Expert

I don't know that they have given up. When Dorn and Francisco went down it limited the options on who could play 1B in Louisville. Frazier for certain but then there was no real solve for 3B unless you moved everyone around.The easy plug and play thing to do was Alonso at 1B. If he doesn't get moved there for the AFL then it's probably official that he will be moved at the Winter Meetings.

Turn Off Ads?