Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Yonder Alonso named International League Player of the Week for 7/26-8/1

Re: Yonder Alonso named International League Player of the Week for 7/26-8/1

Ryan Braun came up as a 3b for Milwaukee if I am remembering right, and then was shifted to LF. And his defense is not all world by any stretch. Far from it. I keep thinking that some AFL time and some serious off-season work could get us Alonso's bat in LF for a very cost effective price for 2011. And a real upgrade in-house.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    -The Insider-

It's not that Alonso's defense is bad, which it is. See, Braun has a nice athletic build and really profiles more as a left fielder more so than Yonder. Alonso, on the other hand, is built like a first baseman. He's big, slow, and has power. He doesn't have the build nor that athleticism to play anywhere but first.
    I watched him play left at the beginning of the year (during his brief tenure in Double-A) and it wasn't a pretty sight. Yes, he was just learning it, but you could tell he just doesn't know what to do out there with the routs and getting to balls and whatnot. Honestly, the best thing for the Reds to do with Yonder is trade him, plain and simple.

I have a feeling that we'll be very happy with the fact that the Mariners mis-scouted the Lee deal...
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Some people want Manny Ramirez in an August trade and now some people (I'm not sure it is the same people) are worried about LF defense?

Quote Originally Posted by JKam View Post
    Some people want Manny Ramirez in an August trade and now some people (I'm not sure it is the same people) are worried about LF defense?
    if Manny hits like Manny I will suffer with his D because hes likely to out produce his negative D.

Quote Originally Posted by JKam View Post
    Ramirez is one of the best hitters in baseball when healthy.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    ... Honestly, the best thing for the Reds to do with Yonder is trade him, plain and simple.
    I agree. The best value we will ever get from him is to trade him to an AL team after he proves he can rake at the AAA level for a while. I don't think we'll ever have a place to put him where he'll get enough ABs at the Major League level to prove anything. IMO to trade him at peak value, we'd wait for him to put in a dominating season at AAA. I still think he'll be a great hitter someday, he just won't do it for the Reds.

"Okay you guys, pair up in threes!" --Yogi Berra

Turn Off Ads?