Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travis Wood

Travis Wood

Time for a fresh "Travis Wood" thread, isn't it? The title on the previous one is more than a little confusing...

Another very nice start by Travis this evening, albeit against a AAAA team in the Pirates.

That is all. Carry on.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Travis Wood

Okay, maybe that was a stupid idea. Mods, feel free to lock this one. But... perhaps... we can change the old one's title?
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

I agree, the other thread title was confusing. Why not start a new thread? The kid deserves a fresh one.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

I agree on the new thread idea. Anybody happy we didn't trade Wood yet?

Wood has been very impressive. He's got above average stuff for a left-hander and is a very good athlete too. 90-93 mph fastball, plus changeup, very good cutter. IIRC, Cliff Lee taught him the cutter last year. That pitch has helped turn his career around. I'll stick to what I said earlier - I think he has a chance to be a #2 starter in the major leagues.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Wood has been very impressive. He's got above average stuff for a left-hander and is a very good athlete too. 90-93 mph fastball, plus changeup, very good cutter. IIRC, Cliff Lee taught him the cutter last year. That pitch has helped turn his career around. I'll stick to what I said earlier - I think he has a chance to be a #2 starter in the major leagues.
    Agree. I've been calling him a 2 as well; it's the cutter and the fearlessness about getting strikes on the inside. The kid's a pitcher.

I approve of this new thread, personally. It's kinda funny to me how I just took the scouting reports from years past as the gospel that said his ceiling was a #4 or #5 and I figured he'd make for a decent trade chip like, say, Justin Germano. So far he's looking like a genuine starter.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I approve of this new thread, personally. It's kinda funny to me how I just took the scouting reports from years past as the gospel that said his ceiling was a #4 or #5 and I figured he'd make for a decent trade chip like, say, Justin Germano. So far he's looking like a genuine starter.
    Not just with his stuff, but his is just very confident and composed out there. He and Leake are amazing all around athletic specimans, who just happen to have very good arms as well. The comparisons of Glavine and Maddux from their early years is a good one. I don't think these guys will turn out to be those two.....but the games are pretty similar.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Good cutters mix things up a bit, and they're probably one of my two favorite pitches (along with a good change-up). It's the one pitch that can really throw the BABIP equation out the window a bit, because the late movement makes it more difficult for hitters to square up on a ball.

Once I saw the reports that Wood was working with Lee on the cutter - and then throwing the pitch well - that was golden news. That's the type of pitching development that can take a good prospect like Wood was previously and turn him into a really fine big league pitcher.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

Really great that this kid is contributing like this, but I think we've seen enough in our years to not get ahead of ourselves this early in his career.

The stuff claims have really been off on Wood.

From early on, scouts, published reports, and web sites insisted he couldn't break 90. So, even with a great change (which we've not seen all that much, BTW), he was, at best, a BOR starter. Even last season, prospect mavens insisted he was short FB mph.

That's been the revelation, to me at least. He's throwing 88-91 all game, but can reach back and hit 93 when needed. That's plus stuff, especially from a southpaw. And, unless he added those mph this season (in Cincinnati), I cannot see how all those supposed experts missed it.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

yea I've been really surprised to see Wood successfully pitching off of his fastball like he has. The changeup is no doubt a good one, but judging from his minor league scouting reports, it seemed like that was the only real weapon he had.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    . IIRC, Cliff Lee taught him the cutter last year.
    Travis Wood and Cliff Lee are from neighboring towns in Arkansas and work out together in the winter.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I agree on the new thread idea. Anybody happy we didn't trade Wood yet?
    Yup, he's definitely been more impressive than I thought. I was high on him for years but I allowed my enthusiasm to wain a bit on him after his struggles 2 years back IIRC. Even after his '09 I wasn't this high on him, not so much his production but his stuff is better than I thought.

ESPN's "Why they won"- Wood 102 pitches, 87 fastballs (Held Pit to 2-19 on AB ending with fastballs).

Not sure why that won us the game but a nugget all the same, surprised to see so many fastballs but he does use 3 of them.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 08-03-2010 at 12:32 AM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Everyone keeps talking about the innings cap for Leake. Is there one for Wood? I know he's had some injuries in the past so I'm sure he's never thrown that many innings in a season. Will he have to be shut down at any point?
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Turn Off Ads?