Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jonathan Correa

Jonathan Correa

This kid, who is leading the AZL in ERA, is starting to generate some attention. 90-95, only 19, keep an eye on him. Have not seen him, but I hear he is legit.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jonathan Correa

Also, I am told that the Mugarian kid really looks good. They have a good group of shortseason pitching prospects. Tuttle, P. Martinez, Robles, Corcino, Wolford, Quezada, Guillon, Clarke, Hayes, are all worth watching closely. All those guys are better prospects than they have had at that level in a while. Cline, who has never been highly thought of despite good numbers last year, is also starting to throw hard enough to garner some attention. I still hope they get Cisco signed.

Thanks for the info, 72. Kevin Goldstein has a tidbit on Correa last week and said that Correa's slider is already a plus pitch. He sounds a bit like Johnny Cueto. Glad to hear the young guys are impressing.

Agreed on Drew Cisco.

Tyler Cline sure was a head-scratcher of a draft pick. It's nice to hear that he's finally warranting being drafted that early, though. Thanks for your input, '72. It's always great to hear.

Correa and Guillon are now 1-2 in strikeouts in the AZL.

I wonder what the chances of both of thems kipping billings and playing a full season w/ the Dragons next year?

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    I wonder what the chances of both of thems kipping billings and playing a full season w/ the Dragons next year?
    Very good question. I really doubt there's room for Ismael Guillon on account of his age. Given his history of arm injury, I'd think he's a sure bet for short-season ball next year. There are other exciting prospects that are a couple years older and still need more of an extended look. I'm talking about Dan Corcino, Dan Tuttle, J.C. Sulbaran, Jake Johnson, Kyle Lotzkar, Tim Crabbe, Evan Hildenbrandt, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    I would probably ask what would be the real point. Starting them off in Billings certainly wouldn't hurt, and at most they finish in Dayton next year anyways.

I guess if you see them possibly pitching in lynch burg it might matter some.

What's the poing? Well selfishly, I like seeing a full season of stats, rather than reports out of extended spring training and a half season in Billings. Obviously they get coaching down in EST, perhaps even more focused training, I just like seeing the game stats. Additionally, I think it would be cool to pair up a bunch of the great talent in Billings and Arizona this season all in Dayton next year for a full year, move them up to high A for a seaosn, then AA and let them ove up to AAA/majors from there.

I don't want them up there just to be up there, but if the organization deems them worthy of playing in Dayton, I think it would be pretty cool to have all that talent grouped toegether.

I certainly understand that.

I think either way they make dayton at most next year so I'm of the mind to just let them "earn" it.

Better chance of Correa making the jump to Dayton in 2011 than Guillon, who is coming off a serious injury.

If you could take Johnson's work ethic, maturity, and intelligence and combine that with one of the plus arms, you would have a top five prospect.

Correa has been promoted to Billings. From the Billings Gazette:

DeShields said right-hander Jonathan Correa will be called up from the Arizona League to take Corcino’s spot in the rotation. Correa was 4-2 with a 2.06 ERA in the Arizona League, and had 49 strikeouts in 39 innings.
    http://billingsgazette.com/sports/ba...cc4c03286.html
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 08-08-2010 at 02:47 AM.

Big game for Correa tonight:

6 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 0 BB, 11 K

Now has 19 BB/83 K in 66.1 innings this season between the AZL Reds and Billings.

Silly numbers

Turn Off Ads?