Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want a Reds Minor League team in West (By God) Virginia? Here's your chance....

Want a Reds Minor League team in West (By God) Virginia? Here's your chance....

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/spor...bluefield.html

So the Orioles are leaving the Appalachian League. It's the longest running affiliation.

This is different than other affiliation swaps. Orioles are simply dropping out. It's not like they switched to another team, and that team has to replace them.

This is a totally open franchise. Reds could move in, and not leave any of their existing franchises.

A few teams (not sure how many) have an extra Rookie team. I think this in an equivalent level to Billings.

You'd think the Appy League would really be scrambling to put a team in there or otherwise the league would fall to 9 members.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Want a Reds Minor League team in West (By God) Virginia? Here's your chance....

I think you're correct on the equivalent estimation to Billings. These guys start their season at the latter part of June each year. This stuff is getting interesting.
    Last edited by muddie; 08-29-2010 at 01:02 PM.

Re: Want a Reds Minor League team in West (By God) Virginia? Here's your chance....

Actually I think it was the South Atlantic League that had to teams go to the Midwest. Those are both full season leagues. And those were really just "geographical" moves.

I don't think Bluefield makes sense as a High A possibility anytime soon.

But the Appy League could find themselves in trouble if they don't find a replacement. In 2007 Pulaski shut down when the Blue Jays shut down the extra Short Season Team. They were able to start up again in 2009 with Mariners.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 08-29-2010 at 02:17 PM.

The Reds will not leave Billings with the stadium they built for the team. The App league is a nice set up with travel pretty close, but the stadiums are not the best. Good baseball though. A lot of big time prospects spends time in this league.
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellow Jackets"

This is not about leaving Billings. This is about having an "extra" Rookie League team in Appy League.

Apparently there are 6 franchises with "extra" minor league teams. (counting Orioles). Although St. Louis is one of them, so maybe it's not a foreign concept to Castellini and Jockety
    Last edited by JaxRed; 08-29-2010 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Actually I think it was the South Atlantic League that had to teams go to the Midwest. Those are both full season leagues. And those were really just "geographical" moves.

You're absolutely correct, I was thinking South Atlantic League by mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by alexad View Post
    The Reds will not leave Billings with the stadium they built for the team. The App league is a nice set up with travel pretty close, but the stadiums are not the best. Good baseball though. A lot of big time prospects spends time in this league.
    The closest Appy team to us is Burlington, NC. For years they were affiliated with the Indians and there was a lot of talent through that park then. Burlington is now affiliated with the Royals.

Formerly Farsighted Fan sabometrics's Avatar

More teams, more ABs, more IP, more chances for young players to show their worth. From a fan's perspective I don't see a big negative for hoping the organization moves for another rookie club. Of course from the clubs perspective things are more complicated.
    "He looked like a surfer kid from SoCal," manager Dusty Baker says. "He didn't say much, but you could tell he was cool."

I agree that it is obviously more complicated than just saying the Reds should do it. But, with our recent emphasis on Latin American signings it seems like this could be a way to bring more guys over.

I don't want this to come across the wrong way but I can almost envision a team filled with guys new to the U.S. featuring multiple interpreters, language teachers, and culture "coaches." Anything to make it easier for these guys to adapt to a new country many miles from home.

I'm sure the costs involved would be very high but may be very worthwhile. In addition, it would be a feather in the Reds' cap when trying to sign these guys.

My take on it was it couldn't hurt marketing-wise to have a franchise in WV. It would give more Billings-level players an opportunity to play rather than splitting time, and more AZL players a place to move to.

And... Bluefield is way closer to Cincy than Billings if you want a be able to observe a player.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    My take on it was it couldn't hurt marketing-wise to have a franchise in WV. It would give more Billings-level players an opportunity to play rather than splitting time, and more AZL players a place to move to.

And... Bluefield is way closer to Cincy than Billings if you want a be able to observe a player.
    My take as well. It seems to me that there is not enough rookie level playing time to go around. There certainly were AZL players that could have benefited from a promotion toward the end of the season, but there was no room at Billings. The question is whether there were sufficient numbers of quality players to stock another franchise at the outset of the short season before the draftees began to sign.

What's cheaper an AZL Rookie Team or an Appy League rookie team?
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    What's cheaper an AZL Rookie Team or an Appy League rookie team?
    It wouldn't matter, because they are different levels. Both are rookie ball, but one is the low end and the other the high end.

I've long wondered when the Reds might expand to another short season team. I think we're getting the talent levels for it. It would be a nice move.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Been to many games in Bluefield. Most of my family are oriole fans. My cousin was so torn up about them moving he actually called me and started conversation with "did you hear the bad news?" I thought someone had passed away haha. From a personal stand point I would love to have the reds there, then I would be able to watch the Lynchburg team when the visit Salem Red Sox and the rookie league Bluefield team when they visit Pulaski Mariners. Not the greatest stadium however to watch a game

Turn Off Ads?