Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Keep on ripping on Bruce and Stubbs..

Keep on ripping on Bruce and Stubbs..

I say Gomes has been even worse. Bruce's OBP is still higher than Gomes and at least Stubbs and Bruce play a solid defense.

Give me Heisey, Stubbs, Bruce outfield and we are more productive. Gomes is garbage.
    Follow me on twitter @EricLilly7
    Check out my Reds blog! Hit me up with any advice on it at anytime, it's always appreciated.
    http://redscheatsheet.blogspot.com/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Keep on ripping on Bruce and Stubbs..

gomes has a mohawk though

Ive been trying for weeks to get people to see the light.

Quote Originally Posted by webbbj View Post
    gomes has a mohawk though
    LOL

Give me Heisey, Stubbs, Bruce or Dickerson, Heisey, Bruce or something. I can't handle Gomes anymore. How many times has he popped it up straight in the air this year or struck out in a critical situation? I know he has a lot of RBI but I can name 100 other players who would in the same batting spot in this lineup that would have as many or more RBI.
    Follow me on twitter @EricLilly7
    Check out my Reds blog! Hit me up with any advice on it at anytime, it's always appreciated.
    http://redscheatsheet.blogspot.com/

Well Boys... This Team just needs an EXTRA BIG Bat to move these guys down in the lineup.

Thats all!

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    Well Boys... This Team just needs an EXTRA BIG Bat to move these guys down in the lineup.

Thats all!
    Dropping the worst hitters on the team out of the 2 spot would be a huge start.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Dropping the worst hitters on the team out of the 2 spot would be a huge start.
    Yeah, but that would mean we have to get like Cal Ripken to play SS so the 2 hole will atleast have a chance to get some production...

I am all for the Cosart to come up.

'19 '40 '75 '76 '90

I'm going to stick up for Gomes. I do wish his defense was better overall, but I think his bat will come around again and he'll produce with some big hits here in the next couple weeks. Either you believe that or you might as well bench the guy, his average is more realistic now, and I think the best thing he can bring to the table are big hits.
    Last edited by Reds; 08-04-2010 at 12:08 AM.

Bruce and Stubbs are definitely more valuable than Gomes when you include their defense and the positions they play, along with how well they play said positions.

I'd like to see Heisey get a shot but I'm not sure he's more than a fourth outfielder, only way to find out is to play him. Though we are in a pennant race, I think he can be at least as productive as Gomes.

It would be nice to see Gomes play his proper role, lefty masher (.879 career OPS, and .846 this year against them) getting starts against lefties filling in for one of the three outfielders, and as a bat off the bench. You can shift Heisey to center if you wanna sit Stubbs. This is the best way to work the outfield right now, but when Dickerson comes back...

Stubbs and Bruce get bashed on this board much to often, they're kids, let em' play. They're giving positive value and doing it for really cheap, its tough to complain about that IMO.

Gomes had a great May and a decent June. His hot streak has been over for well over a month and a half. I don't trust that his bat will come around.

We NEED serious help in the outfield.

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    Yeah, but that would mean we have to get like Cal Ripken to play SS so the 2 hole will atleast have a chance to get some production...

I am all for the Cosart to come up.

Seriously though Bruce has struggled as much as anyone as of late. Probably more than anyone. You think Dusty could maybe mix it up? I mean if hes going to continue to play Bruce and Gomes you would think he could switch the line up around some. Try Bruce in the 2 hole, maybe Gomes there.

Move the catchers up to 7th move Janish to 8th and bat Gomes or Heisey or Stubbs 6th.

Gotta mix this up a little its getting a little to repetitive for a few of these Reds hitters, and going into a game where Janish and Cairo, even though hes hitting well, are your 2 and 3 hole hitters seems like a you are just begging for something to blow up in your face.

Mix the order up PLEASE.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Try Bruce in the 2 hole, maybe Gomes there.
    I would like to see Bruce or Gomes bat 2nd. They really need something to get off the schnide.

The #2 hitters have hit .312 for the Reds this season, with over 60% of those ABs coming from OCab, Cairo, and Janish. If every hitter has had success there, even bad hitters like OCab and Janish, it only makes sense to try Bruce there.

Quote Originally Posted by sivman17 View Post
    I would like to see Bruce or Gomes bat 2nd. They really need something to get off the schnide.

The #2 hitters have hit .312 for the Reds this season, with over 60% of those ABs coming from OCab, Cairo, and Janish. If every hitter has had success there, even bad hitters like OCab and Janish, it only makes sense to try Bruce there.
    I think it would certainly take some pressure off Bruce. Or let Gomes and his swing at everything mentality maybe see some more strikes so he doesnt take really hard hacks at low and outside balls as much.

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post
    Give me Heisey, Stubbs, Bruce or Dickerson, Heisey, Bruce or something. I can't handle Gomes anymore. How many times has he popped it up straight in the air this year or struck out in a critical situation? I know he has a lot of RBI but I can name 100 other players who would in the same batting spot in this lineup that would have as many or more RBI.
    Gomes' high RBI isn't all luck. .375 BA with RISP helps out in that matter. Gomes has .301 BA in 166 AB with runners on, and a .236 BA in 174 AB with no runners on. That is a pretty huge split. Still, something has to change. Heisey in CF over Stubbs is a start. Bringing in Dickerson as a LH batter to play either LF or CF against RHP would also help.

Bruce had a .508 OPS in July which is beyond terrible, but Gomes was .673 and that was while playing terrible defense, while Bruce plays good defense. Still, I think they keep playing Gomes with his 65 RBI and .300 BA with RISP. If I was in charge I would try to use the platoon with Dickerson and Nix getting more AB's against RHP.

Turn Off Ads?