Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1970s and 80s TV Game Shows

Re: 1970s and 80s TV Game Shows

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Speaking of Richard Dawson, there was Family Feud.

I used to laugh at all the cheap gropes and feels that Dawson used to give the young women. He was such a letch. I'm surprised he never got sued.
    I would say the reason he was never sued was that 99% of the women that came on the show was looking forward to his obligitory grope.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

I have always enjoyed watching What's My Line reruns, especially when the celebrity signed in and tried to disguise their voice. Of course it usually was guessed because the panel had Broadway snobs and the guest was usually in town for a Broadway play.

other classics I remember, Treasure Hunt-something about gift wrapped boxes, Split second-Tom Kennedy, Dating Game, Tattletales (Go Banana section!)

There was also one called something like "All-Star Almost Anything Goes" which had obstacle course type games.
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

Gong Show and the Newlywed Game!

I watched Match Game and Price is Right (One Dollar!) every day after school. To think of what I could have been had I spent that time doing something productive- where the heck were my parents?!
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

America's Got Talent could not hold the The Gong Show's jock.

Nuff said.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

More 1990s, but I once got called on by a professor in law school when I wasn't paying attention (too busy reading on RedsZone, I imagine) and was asked to give an answer to the tax problem on the blackboard.

My response, having no clue what was being talked about, was "Can I take the physical challenge?"
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    How about Crosswits?
    I remember Crosswits! Pretty obscure one but I remember liking it as a kid.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    I remember The Liar's Club. The host passed away at a young age in recent years. Can't remember his name but he had curly hair.
    Burt Convy?

I didn't think about the Chuck Barris stuff. I was a big Gong Show fan as a kid and even read Barris' spoofy autobiography.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/$1.98_Beauty_Show

I remember the "Gong Show" episode where every contestant sang "Feelings." It was brutal/hilarious.
    -Air Supply

Tattletales.

I was distraught to see Shirley Jones with Marty Ingels. I was thinking how can she marry this creep. Early episodes had her former husband on, Jack Cassidy.

The Gong Show was absolutely brilliant.

As a kid, I was a huge fan of Match Game (thank you, Charles Nelson Reilly).

I also liked Tic Tac Doe, The Joker's Wild, and The Liar's Club (what a surreal set design).

A few years later (mid-80s), I liked Press Your Luck and Don't Make Me Laugh, in which professional comedians tried to make the contestants laugh. If the contestants held out, they would win prizes.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Match Game was great. Looked like an excuse for marginal celebrities to get drunk and crack wise, on a set that looked like it was built five minutes ago in Kramer's apartment.
    -Air Supply

Speaking of Richard Dawson, there was Family Feud.

I used to laugh at all the cheap gropes and feels that Dawson used to give the young women. He was such a letch. I'm surprised he never got sued.
    I believe that Dawson kissed every single female contestant on the lips. Yuck.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Gong Show and the Newlywed Game!

I watched Match Game and Price is Right (One Dollar!) every day after school. To think of what I could have been had I spent that time doing something productive- where the heck were my parents?!
    Yep, back in '73 or '74, The Price is Right was only a 30 minute show. They had only three winning contestants, then the top two winners money-wise bid on the showcase. It was followed by The Match Game. Watched it every afternoon after school at the babysitters.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Password with Allan Ludden (who was married to Betty White)
    Let's Make a Deal with Monty Hall
    Name That Tune with Tom Kennedy

I read somewhere that with the Match Game, they taped a whole week in one sitting and they'd drink in-between shows. It showed.
    There are some clips on Youtube of Betty White as a contestant (very young, just gorgeous) with some double entendres between her and Ludden.

While not from the 70's or 80's, I'd encourage folks to have a look old clips of What's My Line, particularly the celebrity segments. There are several baseball ones, including the Reds dropping in after a game in New York sometime in the late 50's. Fun show up until John Daly left.

I couldn't find any clips, but Nick Clooney had a game show in the 80's called The Money Maze that lasted about six months. He did it while he was still doing The Nick Clooney variety show on WCPO. My uncle's former brother-in-law was Clooney's band leader.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

ahh the match game one of my favorites, had maybe the funniest moment in game show history with this question.

the pillsbury dough boy got so drunk last night (audience, how drunk was he!) well he got so drunk that he tried to blank a bagel.

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    I believe that Dawson kissed every single female contestant on the lips. Yuck.
    I was watching Family Feud clips on YouTube last night, and I saw a special birthday episode in which the producers flew Richard Dawson's family in to surprise him with a birthday cake. He kissed both his sons on the lips. I thought it was strange at first, but then it occurred to me that kissing people on the lips probably wasn't as big a deal to Richard Dawson as it is to the rest of the world. It was probably like a handshake to him.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?