Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wasting Votto is just another example

Wasting Votto is just another example

As I sat and watched last nights game I at first felt very sorry for Leake, he got hosed on Rolens horrible play at 3rd in the second which went from being what should have been a double play to runners on 2nd and 3rd, which then lead to 2 runs on a bloop single. Then he plunked the Pirate and that I believe really shook him up a bit and before he knew it the Pirates had posted 6. But then I shook my head in disbelief when I saw our "manager" do one of the dumbest things I ever saw. He has Votto pinch hit for Janish. This proves A) Janish should have never been hitting second B) Dusty has no real baseball sense because everyone watching KNEW they would intentionally walk Votto C) this ment Cairo would now be playing SS. All 3 things show how inept our manager is and how Walt needs to make a change NOW to try and save this season. I am this close to wanting this team to fail down the stretch just so Walt will make a change and get a manager in here that knows how to manager good talent, because right now, our manager is costing us games.:thumbdown

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Wasting Votto is just another example

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    All 3 things show how inept our manager is and how Walt needs to make a change NOW to try and save this season.
    8/4/2010
    Reds 60-48
    Cards 59-48

After 108 games the Reds are in first place. Enjoy it.

If you gunna bat Votto and have him play the field then why not just start him is my question. Either way they wasted a game without Votto for the most part or they wasted a rest day for Votto.

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha......ridiculous.

'19 '40 '75 '76 '90

If we somehow tie the game his bat is in the lineup for extras, that's all I was thinking after they walked him to get to Cairo. Cairo gets a knock and we see Votto in the 10th, didn't happen.

Dusty (from his quotes) feels comfortable playing Cairo anywhere on the infield, not just the corners. Or, at least, that's how he's acting.

All 3 things show how inept our manager is and how Walt needs to make a change NOW to try and save this season. I am this close to wanting this team to fail down the stretch just so Walt will make a change and get a manager in here that knows how to manager good talent, because right now, our manager is costing us games.:thumbdown
    If you can cite for me any other instance in post-1900 baseball history where a first-place team has fired their manager in August or September, I will read more of your posts. Otherwise, you've just won the "dunce of the decade" hat and I'll have to put you on ignore.

Quote Originally Posted by redssince75 View Post
    If you can cite for me any other instance in post-1900 baseball history where a first-place team has fired their manager in August or September, I will read more of your posts. Otherwise, you've just won the "dunce of the decade" hat and I'll have to put you on ignore.
    I beleive the Philly's did it back in either the 70's or 80's. But what does it matter if it's been done before. We have the talent to be better then where we are, we continue to see this so called "manager" make dumb move after dumb move.

I think it was one of those things where he felt he had to use Votto there, or not get a chance to use him at all. If he lets' Janish hit and makes an out, then the runner would be stranded anyway, without Votto getting a chance to drive it in.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

I agree with BigKlu. I don't have a problem using Votto there. It's not automatic he was going to be intentionally walked. Even if he is, you sub Cairo for Janish as the hitter who has to come through. I assume that's a wash, and then you have Votto on base for the possible go-ahead run.

As I sat and watched last nights game I at first felt very sorry for Leake, he got hosed on Rolens horrible play at 3rd in the second which went from being what should have been a double play to runners on 2nd and 3rd, which then lead to 2 runs on a bloop single. Then he plunked the Pirate and that I believe really shook him up a bit and before he knew it the Pirates had posted 6. But then I shook my head in disbelief when I saw our "manager" do one of the dumbest things I ever saw. He has Votto pinch hit for Janish. This proves A) Janish should have never been hitting second B) Dusty has no real baseball sense because everyone watching KNEW they would intentionally walk Votto C) this ment Cairo would now be playing SS. All 3 things show how inept our manager is and how Walt needs to make a change NOW to try and save this season. I am this close to wanting this team to fail down the stretch just so Walt will make a change and get a manager in here that knows how to manager good talent, because right now, our manager is costing us games.:thumbdown
    Who do you want at the plate with 2 outs and the game on the line Janish or Cairo. Cairo is a no brainer, they would have pitched to Janish and not walked him. By putting Joey in we get to have Cairo at the plate. Also, Joey is nursing a sore wrist, he probably isn't able to take a full rip at the plate so Dusty could have been putting him up there fully knowing he would get walked. If Votto is swinging like Votto he would have hit when Francisco did earlier in the game, well and plus he would be playing anyway.

Cairo playing SS is irrelevant because if we don't score it doesn't matter who is playing where or how many runs we give up.

As far as your last point about being close to wanting this team to fail down the stretch...I am pretty sure the Cubs would welcome more fans. If you really feel that way I am not sure how you can call yourself a Reds "fan". I despise of Mike Lincoln cause I think he is a terrible pitcher, but I will never root for the guy to fail while on the hill for the Reds because it is not for the good of the team.

Your kidding right? A blind man could have told you they were going to walk him. My god why would they pitch to him when they have a base open? Here is a thought, let Janish hit, I mean if Dusty likes him enough to hit him 2nd then he must think he can hit or you don't bat him in the 2 spot. You know they are going to pitch to Janish. If Janish gets a hit, then you bring Votto to hit for Cairo and then play first. If Janish gets out, you have Votto hit for Cairo to lead off the 9th. THIS IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE.

Redlegs_87

I have yet to see BRM post anything positive. Jumps at the chance to moan and groan about anything. He is good for a laugh every now and then.

You can bet your ass (donkey), I was yelling at my TV when it was happening!!!!

I'm not saying it was the right decision but I'll play devil's advocate here. Would you rather have....

1. Runners on first and second with Cairo up

or

2. Runner on 2nd with Janish up

Dustys mistake was using janish in the 2 spot knowing that of everyone in the line up him and the pitcher are the 2 most likely to be pinch hit for.

Turn Off Ads?