Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Options for getting Chapman more work

Options for getting Chapman more work

Obviously by moving him to the bullpen, Chapman's innings have been cut way back from what he was projected to throw at the start of the season. Will the Reds look to stretch him out by sending him to a fall or winter league, or will they just begin anew with him as a starter next spring.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    -The Insider-

Re: Options for getting Chapman more work

That's a good question. I'd guess they'd send him to the AFL, if anything.

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    That's a good question. I'd guess they'd send him to the AFL, if anything.
    Can he go to the AFL? I thought the players were only eligible for the AFL if they were ineligible for any other winter league (Dominican, Puerto Rican, Mexican, Venezuelan etc). Not sure what his status is as a Cuban defector.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Can he go to the AFL? I thought the players were only eligible for the AFL if they were ineligible for any other winter league (Dominican, Puerto Rican, Mexican, Venezuelan etc). Not sure what his status is as a Cuban defector.
    I've never heard of that rule. I say AFL because they would be able to monitor him a lot easier than if he was in Hawaii or the Dominican or anywhere else. And why would anyone not be eligible to go anywhere else? The AFL really is for "prospects" for the most part.

I've never heard of that rule. I say AFL because they would be able to monitor him a lot easier than if he was in Hawaii or the Dominican or anywhere else. And why would anyone not be eligible to go anywhere else? The AFL really is for "prospects" for the most part.
    Here is what I was thinking of. This is from wikipedia

Each August, Major League Baseball clubs hold a position draft to determine the players who will go to Arizona. Most are Double-A and Triple-A Minor League players. Each club can opt to send one player considered a Single-A player. Only one foreign player is allowed, but only if that player does not come from a region that participates in winter ball. The league is designed for these prospects to refine their skills and perform in game settings in front of major and minor league baseball scouts and team executives, who are in attendance at almost every game. Play begins shortly after the end of MLB's regular season in early October, and ends in mid-November.

The Arizona Fall League teams are not exclusive affiliates of any one team; instead, each Major League team provides seven players who team up to fill the 35-man roster of each team. Additionally, teams may elect to send Taxi Squad players who are only eligible on Wednesdays and Saturdays. MLB teams also provide managers, coaches, and trainers. The affiliations generally change every year.
    http://www.ask.com/wiki/Arizona_Fall_League

Looks like the Reds could send Chapman.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

-The Insider-

Did not know about the foreign rule. That's interesting.

Did not know about the foreign rule. That's interesting.
    The thing about Chapman is where he has declared his country of residence. If its the US, he can play. If he is going to reside in Puerto Rico, the Dominican, etc. He won't be eligible for AFL and will have to play in one of those winter leagues. Not sure it matters much, though the AFL fnishes sooner to get him rest for 2011.

I'm not convinced he'll pitch anywhere if the Reds aren't in control.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    The thing about Chapman is where he has declared his country of residence. If its the US, he can play. If he is going to reside in Puerto Rico, the Dominican, etc. He won't be eligible for AFL and will have to play in one of those winter leagues. Not sure it matters much, though the AFL fnishes sooner to get him rest for 2011.

I'm not convinced he'll pitch anywhere if the Reds aren't in control.
    IIRC I thought he established his place of residence in Florida, or was it Arizona? That might of been just for ST but I can't shake the memory of that being stated.

As such a high profile refugee/expat from Cuba I would think it would be much safer for him to be in the US anyway.

He originally established his place of residency as the Netherlands, not sure if thats changed.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    He originally established his place of residency as the Netherlands, not sure if thats changed.
    He actually established his residency in Andorra, a small country in Europe. It was a financial maneuver.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    He actually established his residency in Andorra, a small country in Europe. It was a financial maneuver.
    I thought that was temporary until he found a team, or is he still there for financial (tax shelter) purposes?

Quote Originally Posted by zjr1717 View Post
    I thought that was temporary until he found a team, or is he still there for financial (tax shelter) purposes?
    He did it almost a year ago. I doubt it's changed since then.

question, do we know what his projected number of innings was this season? I thought I read back in ST that he didn't throw much last year due to the defection, and had only thrown a little over 100 innings in any season in Cuba. Perhaps the plan all along was to get him about 120 to 130ish innings, which is kind of where he seems to be headed.

Buster Olney has a great article up on Chapman. He mentions the possibility of Chapman pitching in the Arizona Fall League as he makes the transition back to being a starter.

Eventually, Chapman will transition back into a starter's role -- perhaps in the Arizona Fall League, as Jocketty mentioned, or next spring. But in the not-so-distant future, he probably will create problems for NL hitters. "He's throwing strikes with all of his pitches," said Jocketty, who, like Power, has never seen anyone with an arm like Chapman's.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/notebo...ight-clubhouse

Turn Off Ads?