Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Better run differential than the Cardinals

Better run differential than the Cardinals

All season long, Cardinals fans have been pointing to the relatively low run differential of the Reds to make the argument that the Reds are luckier than they are good. A nose dive in the standings was inevitable they argued.

Well, as of August 3rd look who has the higher run differential:

Cards +70
    Reds +74
    Last edited by Pony Boy; 08-04-2010 at 03:05 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Better run differential than the Cardinals

70 vs 74? Seems like arguing that a 4.2ERA pitcher is better then a 4.3ERA pitcher. You're probably right but it's so close it fairly meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by 10xWSChamps View Post
    70 vs 74? Seems like arguing that a 4.2ERA pitcher is better then a 4.3ERA pitcher. You're probably right but it's so close it fairly meaningless.
    The one thing is the Reds have been trending up for a while. Of course seasons are long so they probably are just catching up after the Reds bad pitching start.

I'm not using it as an argument that the Reds are better than the Cards (although one could make that argument). I just think this is a milestone, because many have used run differential to discredit the Reds chances of keeping up with the Cards especially early in the season.

I think we can say that the Reds are at least the equal of the Cards this season, and maybe a little better.

Quote Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
    I'm not using it as an argument that the Reds are better than the Cards (although one could make that argument). I just think this is a milestone, because many have used run differential to discredit the Reds chances of keeping up with the Cards especially early in the season.

I think we can say that the Reds are at least the equal of the Cards this season, and maybe a little better.

You could make an argument either way really. We've been going back and forth for the majority of the season. I think the teams are playing pretty equally. Although I do think the Cardinals have an edge in total talent, some slumps and injuries haven't helped us, especially injuries.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I get it. Cards fans just looking for anything to roast the Reds and in the end they look like hypocrites. Nice.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

You could make an argument either way really. We've been going back and forth for the majority of the season. I think the teams are playing pretty equally. Although I do think the Cardinals have an edge in total talent, some slumps and injuries haven't helped us, especially injuries.
    Sounds to me as if someone is getting their excuses ready.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Holiday, Pujols, Carpenter, Wainwright. 4 superior players.

Rolen, Votto, Cueto, Wood, Phillips. 5 superior players.

We win.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post

We win.
    I'd give them Rasmus though if we're including Wood and Cueto.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190 View Post
    I'd give them Rasmus though if we're including Wood and Cueto.
    Wood is a bit of a stretch but Cueto is a beast and is very hurt that you compared his ability to that of Colby Rasmus.

Quote Originally Posted by bshall2105 View Post
    Wood is a bit of a stretch but Cueto is a beast and is very hurt that you compared his ability to that of Colby Rasmus.
    So is Rasmus despite his recent slump.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post

We win.
    Comparatively to your Reds' list, I would say you have to include Rasmus and Garcia.

Johnny Wood's service time is too limited to label him as a superior player IMO, but if you believe it's not then I think you would have to include Jon Jay of the Cardinals as well.

Sounds to me as if someone is getting their excuses ready.
    Injuries are definitely an excuse, but it's still true.

I get it. Cards fans just looking for anything to roast the Reds and in the end they look like hypocrites. Nice.
    How am I hypocritical? I don't think I "roast[ed]" the Reds anywhere...

I like roasted nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190 View Post
    So is Rasmus despite his recent slump.
    Rasmus is much < Cueto. No point in arguing though, we can't really compare the two at all.

Quote Originally Posted by bshall2105 View Post
    Rasmus is much < Cueto. No point in arguing though, we can't really compare the two at all.
    Cueto WAR: 2.4
    Rasmus WAR: 2.6

Basically this season they are of equal value. Although Colby has been slipping.

Turn Off Ads?