Ive been on this site but lost my user name. Read a lot but never post. Thought I would share some of my ideas of what to do for August/September.
Here are a few things Id look into doing for the rest of the season, let me know what you all think.
1. Bring up Chapman, send down Bray. Bray has been up and down since hes been back in cincy this year, but he is too inconsistent at this point. Chapman has been dominanting his last 10 or so appearances in AAA. Id say bring him up now to see how he can do in August. If he pitches well up here you start to put him in more pressure situations in September if he can handle it. If he doesnt pitch that well when hes brought up, at least you know not to rely on him too much in September. I think its better he gets some opportunities now then just throwing him in there in september.
I also think Chapman could give us a big advantage for the STL series next week, as the cards have obviously not seen chapman yet. If Bray pitches well in AAA bring him back up in September.
2. Russ Springer was taken out of todays game due to back spasms. If he has to go to the DL, Id give Burton a shot. He has been great his last 10 plus games in Lou, besides one game where he gave up a couple runs. Lights out besides that. When Springer gets healthy bring him back up for September call ups.
3. Leake/Bailey. Id give Leake one more start in Cincy and Bailey another start at AAA. If bailey pitches well and leake doesnt, Id strongly consider putting Leake on the DL due to fatigue (if you are allowed) and Let Bailey make a couple starts for him. It would allow leake to keep his innings down. If after a couple starts bailey doesnt perform well, you could take leake off the dl and put him back in the rotation. If Bailey does do well, you could shut down leake or figure out another option for him. Now, if Leake pitches great next week vs St Louis Id keep him up here and figure out something else to do with Bailey.
4. Bring up Chris Dickerson for Laynce Nix. Nix just doesnt get enough PT nor is he good enough in his at bats to warrant keeping him on the roster instead of Dickerson. Dickerson is better in the field and at the plate. Let him take some starts for Gomes and Stubbs. Also if healthy and hitting well he would be a solid lead off option.We need some infusion in the outfield.
5. Keep getting Heisey at bats. He has been our most productive outfielder the last month or so, keep getting him opportunites.
We would have 5 outfielders that could all get starts (Gomes, Bruce, Stubbs, Dickerson, and Heisey). Play the hot bats, play the matchups, do whatever in order to get some more production out of the outfield.
Any thoughts and other suggestions are appreciated. Let me know what you all think.