Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Things I would do/consider for August and September

Things I would do/consider for August and September

Ive been on this site but lost my user name. Read a lot but never post. Thought I would share some of my ideas of what to do for August/September.

Here are a few things Id look into doing for the rest of the season, let me know what you all think.

1. Bring up Chapman, send down Bray. Bray has been up and down since hes been back in cincy this year, but he is too inconsistent at this point. Chapman has been dominanting his last 10 or so appearances in AAA. Id say bring him up now to see how he can do in August. If he pitches well up here you start to put him in more pressure situations in September if he can handle it. If he doesnt pitch that well when hes brought up, at least you know not to rely on him too much in September. I think its better he gets some opportunities now then just throwing him in there in september.

I also think Chapman could give us a big advantage for the STL series next week, as the cards have obviously not seen chapman yet. If Bray pitches well in AAA bring him back up in September.

2. Russ Springer was taken out of todays game due to back spasms. If he has to go to the DL, Id give Burton a shot. He has been great his last 10 plus games in Lou, besides one game where he gave up a couple runs. Lights out besides that. When Springer gets healthy bring him back up for September call ups.

3. Leake/Bailey. Id give Leake one more start in Cincy and Bailey another start at AAA. If bailey pitches well and leake doesnt, Id strongly consider putting Leake on the DL due to fatigue (if you are allowed) and Let Bailey make a couple starts for him. It would allow leake to keep his innings down. If after a couple starts bailey doesnt perform well, you could take leake off the dl and put him back in the rotation. If Bailey does do well, you could shut down leake or figure out another option for him. Now, if Leake pitches great next week vs St Louis Id keep him up here and figure out something else to do with Bailey.

4. Bring up Chris Dickerson for Laynce Nix. Nix just doesnt get enough PT nor is he good enough in his at bats to warrant keeping him on the roster instead of Dickerson. Dickerson is better in the field and at the plate. Let him take some starts for Gomes and Stubbs. Also if healthy and hitting well he would be a solid lead off option.We need some infusion in the outfield.

5. Keep getting Heisey at bats. He has been our most productive outfielder the last month or so, keep getting him opportunites.

We would have 5 outfielders that could all get starts (Gomes, Bruce, Stubbs, Dickerson, and Heisey). Play the hot bats, play the matchups, do whatever in order to get some more production out of the outfield.

Any thoughts and other suggestions are appreciated. Let me know what you all think.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Things I would do/consider for August and September

Nix isn't a great player by any stretch, but he's hot right now. I think you've got to ride that hot streak as long as you can. We've got two months left. If he stays hot for three more weeks, that's a big help. Especially considering where our outfield has been offensively lately.

I don't really disagree on any of your other points.

Quote Originally Posted by Votto4MVP View Post
    1. Bring up Chapman, send down Bray. Bray has been up and down since hes been back in cincy this year, but he is too inconsistent at this point. Chapman has been dominanting his last 10 or so appearances in AAA.

3. Leake/Bailey. Id give Leake one more start in Cincy and Bailey another start at AAA. If bailey pitches well and leake doesnt, Id strongly consider putting Leake on the DL due to fatigue (if you are allowed) and Let Bailey make a couple starts for him. It would allow leake to keep his innings down.
    Any thoughts and other suggestions are appreciated. Let me know what you all think.
    Why is everyone wanting to Rush Chapman?

Leake had a good outing last night, if Rolen makes that play at 3rd it's a whole differnt ball game. plus I have not seen anything from Bailey that leads me to believe he would be better then say Malloney or Lacure at this point.

Disagree on most points.

leake is fine.

Nix needs to stay. A guy gets hot and your talking about sending him down. That makes zero sense.

Chapman shouldnt even be thought about until the roster gets extended. Bill bray has some of the nastiest stuff our BP currently is equipped with. And he's a lefty.

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    Why is everyone wanting to Rush Chapman?

Leake had a good outing last night, if Rolen makes that play at 3rd it's a whole differnt ball game. plus I have not seen anything from Bailey that leads me to believe he would be better then say Malloney or Lacure at this point.
    If Chapman isnt on the roster by Aug 31st he cant play in the playoffs. Im not saying for sure he would pitch in the playoffs, but if he comes up and shows he can I would love to have him available. If he doesnt come up till September pitches lights out and we cant use him in the playoffs cause we didnt bring him up in time it will suck. Id rather bring him up now give him some opportunities in August, and the more he shows the more we can use him in big situations. Hes been lights out in AAA the last 10 games, and I think hes a better option then Bray.

I think Leake did pitch well, but if he isnt going to be able to pitch in September/October then it doesnt do us a lot of good. We could get him some rest and see what we have out of Bailey. Bailey pitched 6 2/3rds shut out in his last rehab start and looked good before his injury. Maloney gave up 7 runs today in AAA, Bailey is definitely better.

Quote Originally Posted by bgwilly31 View Post
    Disagree on most points.

leake is fine.

Nix needs to stay. A guy gets hot and your talking about sending him down. That makes zero sense.

Chapman shouldnt even be thought about until the roster gets extended. Bill bray has some of the nastiest stuff our BP currently is equipped with. And he's a lefty.

Of course you disagree, youve never agreed with anything ive ever said, and more often then not you were wrong.

See:Go-Bengals.com. PS so glad you left.

Disagree on most points.

Bray shouldnt even be thought about until the roster gets extended. Aroldis Chapman has some of the nastiest stuff our BP will soon be equipped with. And he's a lefty.
    Fixed it for you

Chapman is also a lefty and his stuff is nastier than Bray's.

Quote Originally Posted by Votto4MVP View Post
    If Chapman isnt on the roster by Aug 31st he cant play in the playoffs. Im not saying for sure he would pitch in the playoffs, but if he comes up and shows he can I would love to have him available. If he doesnt come up till September pitches lights out and we cant use him in the playoffs cause we didnt bring him up in time it will suck. Id rather bring him up now give him some opportunities in August, and the more he shows the more we can use him in big situations. Hes been lights out in AAA the last 10 games, and I think hes a better option then Bray.

I think Leake did pitch well, but if he isnt going to be able to pitch in September/October then it doesnt do us a lot of good. We could get him some rest and see what we have out of Bailey. Bailey pitched 6 2/3rds shut out in his last rehab start and looked good before his injury. Maloney gave up 7 runs today in AAA, Bailey is definitely better.
    I want no part of Chapman on any playoff roster this season. in the playoffs there is just way to much presure to put onto that kid.

Why can't leake pitch in Sept and Oct if the Reds use him correctly? you do know there is a HUGE and I mean HUGE difference between AAA and major leaues. Bailey looked good before his injury? outside of the pittsburgh game what game are you speaking of?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanInBama View Post
    Chapman is also a lefty and his stuff is nastier than Bray's.

According to whom?

According to whom?
    LOL. Which point are you arguing? That he's a lefty or that he has better stuff than Bray? I'm really not sure with you.

Originally Posted by bgwilly31
    Disagree on most points.

Bray should be on the roster and maybe look at Aroldis Chapman once the rosters gets extended. Aroldis Chapman has some growing and learning to get done in AAA before we see if his stuff is nasty enough for the ML.
    Quote Originally Posted by knoonan991 View Post
    Fixed it for you

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanInBama View Post
    LOL. Which point are you arguing? That he's a lefty or that he has better stuff than Bray? I'm really not sure with you.
    yes he is a lefty that can throw 100+ mph, but he is still not a pitcher, let him continue to grow and learn on the AAA level, learning is not to occur on the major league level.

You present some sound scenarios. My only real issue is Nix. Not that I have a problem with Dickerson, but Nix has not done anything to deserve to be chopped off the team. Sometimes those things have to happen though. It's logical in the sense that he probably doesn't have a future with this team, unless one of the younger guys (Dickerson, Heisey for example) were to be traded.

It's a great problem to have and I'm glad that I'm not the one who has to make that decision.

It will be interesting to see how it all unfolds.

yes he is a lefty that can throw 100+ mph, but he is still not a pitcher, let him continue to grow and learn on the AAA level, learning is not to occur on the major league level.
    I didn't say he didn't have stuff to learn. I said he's a lefty and his stuff is nastier than Bray's. Plus let's not pretend that Bray has been lights out since he came back. Furthermore, Chapman has been really, really impressive lately and seems to be "getting it."
    Last edited by RedsFanInBama; 08-04-2010 at 05:04 PM.

Turn Off Ads?