Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chapman Coming Up This Weekend?

Chapman Coming Up This Weekend?

From Buster Olney via twitter:
    Spoke with Reds GM Walt Jocketty tonight, and he said he hasn't discussed possible promotion for the lefty with Dusty Baker in awhile, but he thinks they could have a conversation later in the week -- and they envision Chapman helping them in the late innings He was clocked as high as 103 mph twice on Tuesday night.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Chapman Coming Up This Weekend?

I like it if true.

Would definitely be something to throw at against the Cardinals.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

If they're going to call him up in time for the Cardinals series, do him tomorrow and put him in at least one game at Wrigley so he's first major leauge game isn't against the Cardinals.

Olney was just on Baseball Tonight and made it sound like he wouldn't be up this weekend but that he most likely will be soon. I'd love to see him get some work in this weekend and be ready to go for Monday.

Formerly Farsighted Fan sabometrics's Avatar

He'll be up before the Cardinals series. Can you imagine the hype then?

Even if it isn't that soon it still needs to be within the next 10 days. The FO has to see him show his stuff for a few weeks to decide if he's going to be carried on the playoff roster. His stuff and recent numbers in AAA demand that he gets a trial showing.
    "He looked like a surfer kid from SoCal," manager Dusty Baker says. "He didn't say much, but you could tell he was cool."

I'll be in Cincy for all three games against the Marlins on the 13, 14th, and 15th. I hope Chapman's in the majors by then. I can't wait to see him pitch live for the first time.

I thought this was interesting:

I spoke with Class AAA coach Ted Power and he says a mechanical adjustment has helped Chapman. It's evident Chapman might be closer to the big leagues.

http://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN

It's exciting having someone as talented as Chapman in the organization.

Calling him up directly before the Cardinals series doesn't make a lot of sense to me. You won't see a ticket sales bump because all of those games are going to be sold out anyway. I'm not sure if you want your rookie making a debut in that important of a game, no matter how good he's supposed to be.

IMO he'll either be called up tomorrow or a week from tomorrow.

It'll also be interesting to see how Chapman's new mechanics translate when he becomes a starter again next year. Hopefully his control will stay as good as it's been lately.

I can't wait to see him pitch I just hope hes able to throw strikes once hes called up.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Calling him up directly before the Cardinals series doesn't make a lot of sense to me. You won't see a ticket sales bump because all of those games are going to be sold out anyway. I'm not sure if you want your rookie making a debut in that important of a game, no matter how good he's supposed to be.

It'll also be interesting to see how Chapman's new mechanics translate when he becomes a starter again next year. Hopefully his control will stay as good as it's been lately.
    I sure hope the Reds are using other factors besides ticket sales in their decision on when to call up Chapman.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post

Not that the team should be making decisions like this because of ticket sales, but based on the tickets I was able to buy from the Reds today (for Tuesday), I seriously doubt that Cards games will be sold out or close. I bet we are looking at crowds around 30-32,000. Hope I'm wrong.

Anyway, I doubt Chapman creates an attendance bump if he's just pitching from the bullpen.

I don't mean to insult Chapman's intelligence when I say this, but I think there is a strong chance that he will not understand the significance of pitching against the Cardinals. I'm not sure how much he's learned over the last 4 months, but when he came over, he indicated he knew little to none about the major leagues in general.

Maybe we should just have him send a couple 103 MPH fastballs into Pujols' side

Call me crazy, but I think ignorance is bliss. I'd prefer if he didn't have the weight of the past decade on his shoulders.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    I don't mean to insult Chapman's intelligence when I say this, but I think there is a strong chance that he will not understand the significance of pitching against the Cardinals. I'm not sure how much he's learned over the last 4 months, but when he came over, he indicated he knew little to none about the major leagues in general.
    I think that could be a good thing. Alot less pressure if he doesn't really understand the significance of the game.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

If he doesn't start, and I don't think he will, the hype will not be that much. I am always wary of rookies. No matter the talent they are not there yet. I still remember the excitement of Jay Bruce coming up to the majors. Euphoria soon changed to chagrin among many Reds fans. I'd rather he be more ready than he is now for his sake as well as the fans.

Turn Off Ads?