Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Watch the game?

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Re: Watch the game?

I seldom watch them live. I DVR them and watch them commercial free. Really speeds up the time cosumption. I'll even speed through pitches sometimes. Avoiding hearing/reading scores is the main problem with this approach. It really sucks hearing the score when you know you have it ready to watch on DVR.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

2. Turn Off Ads?

Love the DVR, too. I'll watch every game that's broadcast (thanks to my wife). I'll go to 10 or 12 this year. Maybe more, depending on availability of tickets and the family's approval/ desire to go to major league games rather than minor league.

We usually hit at least one Bat game a week, a Dayton weekend or two, and another park, too. This year, we went to Bowling Green to see the Hot Rods. (Great stadium. Poor team. Small beers.)
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

With three small children, I'm usually relegated to recording on the DVR and then forwarding to the scoring plays and threatening situations. I see how all the runs are scored, but miss a lot of significant plays each game.

If my wife has no interest in the TV on a given night, I'll watch every pitch. But if the TV is tied up until later in the night and it starts getting late, I'll end up doing the fast-forward thing.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Haunted by walks

Do those of you who DVR the games find yourself rooting for a hit or out, even though you know the game has already happened?

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Do those of you who DVR the games find yourself rooting for a hit or out, even though you know the game has already happened?
    I still watch ESPN Classic hoping Carlton Fisk's HR goes foul. Or Rich Karlis's kick go wide left.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    I still watch ESPN Classic hoping Carlton Fisk's HR goes foul. Or Rich Karlis's kick go wide left.
    Back in the day, I heard a replay of the Red Right 88 Browns-Raiders playoff game on Cleveland radio. The NFL was on strike (must have been '82) so they were airing replays of famous games on Sundays.

It was a complete replay of the game except for the fatal last Brian Sipe pass. The announcer went "Sipe fades back, he thows, its off Mike Davis' fingertips, Newsome makes the catch, Touchdown!!! Browns win!!! Browns win!!!".

OMG. Holy crap. I about drove off the road I was yelling and laughing so loud.

Pay attention to the open sky

Earlier in the season, I was making a "best effort" to watch the TV games. Which meant if I needed to run errands or there was some pressing chore around the house, that took precedence. Pretty much my modus operandi for the last 10 years.

But probably since about the beginning of June, I've been watching all the games. I might miss an inning or 2 here and there, but I'm pretty well glued to the set these days. I watch quite intently and talk to the TV a lot. Plus woo-hoo and cheer and swear a lot.

In case anyone noticed, the Reds are in the thick of a pennant race. This is as good as it gets and everything a baseball fan can hope for. I'm just having a ball with this team.

gO RedZ!!!

Pay attention to the open sky

I don't root so much as get angry when someone pulls a bonehead move. I mutter a lot when, for example, someone doesn't get a runner in from third with less than two out. Even if I know the final score.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

I make sure I don't know the outcome or any details before I watch, so I still get nervous in certain situations. Sometimes I stop and think "I'm nervous about how this is going to turn out while there are millions of people who already know and the rest who don't care."

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Worth The Wait

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    I make sure I don't know the outcome or any details before I watch, so I still get nervous in certain situations. Sometimes I stop and think "I'm nervous about how this is going to turn out while there are millions of people who already know and the rest who don't care."
    Ditto. It's the same with me when I DVR a game...I'll be sitting there with butterflies during a tense situation and think, "this has already happened, the folks on Redszone are already analyzing what I'm about to witness."

It's kind of weird.

I have the Fox package...so, if the Reds are on and I'm home....the game is being watched. The advent of DVR has been fantastic. With games starting at 4 PST, I often get home partway through the game. If I don't know the result/score....I will watch it on DVR. If the game is over, I usually don't go back and watch more than the highlights, unless is was an 'instant' classic.

I'm guessing I've seen more Reds games in person and on TV than any Reds fan....without ever attending a 'home' game at Riverfront or GAPB.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

I'm kinda shocked that I'm the exception, not the rule. I have watched every inning that has been televised (ie. blackouts on Sat & Sun.) thanks to the EI package and my DVR. Well, it helps not living in Vegas anymore too, w/ 6 teams blacking us out there.

So when I make comments, esp. regarding Bruce's lack of progression etc. I feel that I have a legit leg to stand on, etc.

Turn Off Ads?