Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Joey Votto Interview

Joey Votto Interview

Red Forman in the Sun Deck posted a great interview of Joey Votto from Cincinnati Magazine. I just thought I'd share it.
    http://www.cincinnatimagazine.com/article.aspx?id=97056
    Here's a quote:
    Quote Originally Posted by Joey Votto
    I would say they’d be lying to you if they said they weren’t, because it proves efficiency. Batting average only means so much—it means that you’re getting hits at this certain rate. Whereas on-base percentage proves you’re getting on at this rate, and slugging percentage shows how many total bases you are getting per number of at-bats. Now, I think it’s a good idea not to be aware of it during the season, because statistics fluctuate up and down. You can have a good month or you can have a bad month. Skyrockets or plummets.
    Last edited by camisadelgolf; 08-05-2010 at 12:16 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Joey Votto Interview

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Red Forman in the Sun Deck posted a great interview of Joey Votto from Cincinnati Magazine. I just thought I'd share it.
    http://www.cincinnatimagazine.com/article.aspx?id=97056
    Here's a quote:
    Joey Votto is now god of Redszone. We should call him Sir Joey Votto every time we post.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Great interview!

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Wow, what an awesome interview. I give the interviewer a lot of credit for asking a question about his father, than giving him the respect and room to 1)not answer directly about his father, but 2) to ask a follow up question which allowed Joey to show how he's learned and grown from the experience.

Really, a number of great questions and answers for Joey.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

And then you get a guy like Orlando [Cabrera]. People complained about that. He’s been outstanding. People don’t realize: you [have to] ignore the numbers sometimes. Orlando has done more for this team than anybody you can even quantify on paper. He has—having him has changed the atmosphere and the attitude in the clubhouse, and that doesn’t get enough credit in our game. Not at all. Statistics can only explain so much. But when Orlando makes a decision, on the field, on the bench, in the clubhouse, that can affect the game more than people realize. You can only get on base so much and drive in so many runs and create so many runs on the field, but if you do certain little things that help us win a ballgame, that’s as valuable as anything, and that’s what Orlando offers.
    Joey Votto doesn't understand WAR.

That's a great interview.
    My name is Cheesy Beef Burrito

Haunted by walks

Cincinnati’s made by the people. The people are friendly, enjoyable, and they’re not smothering. They just enjoy the team, enjoy the players. They’re very supportive. But they’re also...[he smiles] they’ll let you know.

Great interview.

Outstanding. There's just so much to like about this guy. Hope we never see him playing in another team's uniform.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Nice find. I'm liking this kid more each day.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Trade him!!! He hops planes after games to fly across the country to watch an NBA game!!! He's not focused... It should be all Reds baseball all the time!!!

Oh my bad, that was only Dunn and Jr,

Great interview! Great Player! Votto for MVP!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Wow, what an awesome interview. I give the interviewer a lot of credit for asking a question about his father, than giving him the respect and room to 1)not answer directly about his father, but 2) to ask a follow up question which allowed Joey to show how he's learned and grown from the experience.

Really, a number of great questions and answers for Joey.
    I feel just the opposite. Even in writing I can feel the awkwardness of it. There's nothing I need to know about losing his Dad. We all know he struggled with it and we all know he's not comfortable talking about it.

Dumb, dumb question

I can't believe dude's reading Brothers Karamozov!

I can't believe the interviewer didn't ask him about his penchant for fancy coffee, manis & pedis and designer shirts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I feel just the opposite. Even in writing I can feel the awkwardness of it. There's nothing I need to know about losing his Dad. We all know he struggled with it and we all know he's not comfortable talking about it.

Dumb, dumb question
    I'll grant that the specific question was schmaltzy and stupid. But it brought up a topic that was obviously a big part in establishing his character over the past few years. To ignore something that has been a big story when you can specifically ask the person about it would have been a poor effort in my opinion. Uncomfortable or not, it's a question that has to be asked.

I may not need to know about Joey losing his dad, but it's interesting to me how he has dealt with it, and how he has dealt with the issues that came up last year. It's a fine line between interesting in an exploitative type of way, and interesting in a deeper understanding type of way.

To ignore it would be like doing a feature Q and A about Josh Hamilton and not bringing up the past drug issues and how he's grown from them.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Turn Off Ads?