Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Off the wall idea.....that could work?!?!

Off the wall idea.....that could work?!?!

Ok, so Im sitting here digesting the Chapman-to-the-bullpen idea, and really trying to see how everything with that could potentially unfold. One idea I had, that seriously makes sense in my head, and one that I would not be opposed to seeing, is Chapman groomed to be our closer.

This kid has been LIGHTS OUT in his last 11 2/3 innings for L'ville, and I would not be upset one bit if they ran a bit of an experiment with this idea. How do you guys think this could pan out? Don't get me wrong, Id love to see him be a stud of a starting pitcher, ideally a #1 or #2 obviously. However, I just can't shake the idea of him coming in for the 9th inning, throwing some 103MPH gas and getting us solid saves.

Just shootin' the poop here, let's get some discussion going!

-Matt

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Off the wall idea.....that could work?!?!

I like the idea. Won't happen this year though.
    "Baseball is 90% mental -- the other half is physical."
    - Yogi Berra

Reds Fan 4 life!!!!!

I like the idea of him throwing 103 for 7 innings striking out 10 or more a game, and winning several Cy Young awards while representing the Reds, but that is just me.
    "Ahh, Jesus, I like him very much, but He no help with curveball." - Serrano. "Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?" - Harris in Major League (1989)

Quote Originally Posted by ian_madden View Post
    I like the idea of him throwing 103 for 7 innings striking out 10 or more a game, and winning several Cy Young awards while representing the Reds, but that is just me.
    I suggest in the offseason that Ryan Hannigan invest in a extra thick catchers mitt. 103MPH=extremely sore hand.

a starter is more valuable than a closer. in a few years if it doesnt look like things will pan out with him as a starter than i think putting him in a closer role would make sense.

There are 12 million reasons why that will never happen.

Right now he could be a closer. I'm all for having him in relief this season and giving it another shot as a starter next. Like someone mentioned before, starters are much more valuable.

What is with the FIRE DUSTY BAKER signature? What don't you like about first place?
    - Yogi Berra

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zacharync View Post
    What is with the FIRE DUSTY BAKER signature? What don't you like about first place?
    What I don't like is that we're not 5 to 7 games ahead in our division. We should be if not for Dusty.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    What I don't like is that we're not 5 to 7 games ahead in our division. We should be if not for Dusty.
    And so he doesn't deserve credit for anything and you mean to tell me this team is 5-7 games better than the cards?

Please explain how that works?
    - Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    Ok, so Im sitting here digesting the Chapman-to-the-bullpen idea, and really trying to see how everything with that could potentially unfold. One idea I had, that seriously makes sense in my head, and one that I would not be opposed to seeing, is Chapman groomed to be our closer.

This kid has been LIGHTS OUT in his last 11 2/3 innings for L'ville, and I would not be upset one bit if they ran a bit of an experiment with this idea. How do you guys think this could pan out? Don't get me wrong, Id love to see him be a stud of a starting pitcher, ideally a #1 or #2 obviously. However, I just can't shake the idea of him coming in for the 9th inning, throwing some 103MPH gas and getting us solid saves.

Just shootin' the poop here, let's get some discussion going!

-Matt
    Why would you want him as your closer? Closers are a dime a dozen, we can use Logan O. as a closer. Chapman has the talent to be a nice 2 or 3 guy in our rotation in 2011, no to any thought of closing.

Real simple, this team is better then their record. Dusty alone has cost us probably somewhere between 5-8 wins this season.

Can we save it for a thread directed at Dusty. We don't need every thread to be over ran by Pro-Dusty vs. Anti-Dusty. This was a Chapman as closer conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    Why would you want him as your closer? Closers are a dime a dozen, we can use Logan O. as a closer. Chapman has the talent to be a nice 2 or 3 guy in our rotation in 2011, no to any thought of closing.
    You're right, the Mariano Rivera's, Trevor Hoffman's (in his prime), K Rod, are a dime a dozen.

-Matt

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    You're right, the Mariano Rivera's, Trevor Hoffman's (in his prime), K Rod, are a dime a dozen.

-Matt
    Yeah, remember when everyone said oh let's just move Todd Coffey to closer he can handle it. How did that work out? Pitching in the ninth inning trying to save a ballgame and pitching in the 7th or 8th is as, my buddy brm likes to write, is HUGE difference.

Closers are not a dime a dozen. It doesn't mean Logan Ondrusek can't ultimately be the closer, but it's not as simple as just saying "hey, he can close, so we'll just put him there."

Turn Off Ads?