Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25

Thread: Off the wall idea.....that could work?!?!

  1. #1
    Member mattfeet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,749

    Off the wall idea.....that could work?!?!

    Ok, so Im sitting here digesting the Chapman-to-the-bullpen idea, and really trying to see how everything with that could potentially unfold. One idea I had, that seriously makes sense in my head, and one that I would not be opposed to seeing, is Chapman groomed to be our closer.

    This kid has been LIGHTS OUT in his last 11 2/3 innings for L'ville, and I would not be upset one bit if they ran a bit of an experiment with this idea. How do you guys think this could pan out? Don't get me wrong, Id love to see him be a stud of a starting pitcher, ideally a #1 or #2 obviously. However, I just can't shake the idea of him coming in for the 9th inning, throwing some 103MPH gas and getting us solid saves.

    Just shootin' the poop here, let's get some discussion going!

    -Matt

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    179

    Re: Off the wall idea.....that could work?!?!

    I like the idea. Won't happen this year though.
    "Baseball is 90% mental -- the other half is physical."
    - Yogi Berra

  4. #3
    Reds Fan 4 life!!!!!
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Covington, Ky
    Posts
    337

    Re: Off the wall idea.....that could work?!?!

    I like the idea of him throwing 103 for 7 innings striking out 10 or more a game, and winning several Cy Young awards while representing the Reds, but that is just me.
    "Ahh, Jesus, I like him very much, but He no help with curveball." - Serrano. "Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?" - Harris in Major League (1989)

  5. #4
    Member 1990REDS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    472

    Re: Off the wall idea.....that could work?!?!

    Quote Originally Posted by ian_madden View Post
    I like the idea of him throwing 103 for 7 innings striking out 10 or more a game, and winning several Cy Young awards while representing the Reds, but that is just me.
    I suggest in the offseason that Ryan Hannigan invest in a extra thick catchers mitt. 103MPH=extremely sore hand.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    906

    Re: Off the wall idea.....that could work?!?!

    a starter is more valuable than a closer. in a few years if it doesnt look like things will pan out with him as a starter than i think putting him in a closer role would make sense.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,324

    Re: Off the wall idea.....that could work?!?!

    There are 12 million reasons why that will never happen.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    539

    Re: Off the wall idea.....that could work?!?!

    Right now he could be a closer. I'm all for having him in relief this season and giving it another shot as a starter next. Like someone mentioned before, starters are much more valuable.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    179

    Re: Off the wall idea.....that could work?!?!

    What is with the FIRE DUSTY BAKER signature? What don't you like about first place?
    "Baseball is 90% mental -- the other half is physical."
    - Yogi Berra

  10. #9
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    7,067

    Re: Off the wall idea.....that could work?!?!

    Quote Originally Posted by zacharync View Post
    What is with the FIRE DUSTY BAKER signature? What don't you like about first place?
    What I don't like is that we're not 5 to 7 games ahead in our division. We should be if not for Dusty.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

    "Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    179

    Re: Off the wall idea.....that could work?!?!

    Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    What I don't like is that we're not 5 to 7 games ahead in our division. We should be if not for Dusty.
    And so he doesn't deserve credit for anything and you mean to tell me this team is 5-7 games better than the cards?

    Please explain how that works?
    "Baseball is 90% mental -- the other half is physical."
    - Yogi Berra

  12. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,666

    Re: Off the wall idea.....that could work?!?!

    Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    Ok, so Im sitting here digesting the Chapman-to-the-bullpen idea, and really trying to see how everything with that could potentially unfold. One idea I had, that seriously makes sense in my head, and one that I would not be opposed to seeing, is Chapman groomed to be our closer.

    This kid has been LIGHTS OUT in his last 11 2/3 innings for L'ville, and I would not be upset one bit if they ran a bit of an experiment with this idea. How do you guys think this could pan out? Don't get me wrong, Id love to see him be a stud of a starting pitcher, ideally a #1 or #2 obviously. However, I just can't shake the idea of him coming in for the 9th inning, throwing some 103MPH gas and getting us solid saves.

    Just shootin' the poop here, let's get some discussion going!

    -Matt
    Why would you want him as your closer? Closers are a dime a dozen, we can use Logan O. as a closer. Chapman has the talent to be a nice 2 or 3 guy in our rotation in 2011, no to any thought of closing.

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,666

    Re: Off the wall idea.....that could work?!?!

    Quote Originally Posted by zacharync View Post
    What is with the FIRE DUSTY BAKER signature? What don't you like about first place?
    Real simple, this team is better then their record. Dusty alone has cost us probably somewhere between 5-8 wins this season.

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,079

    Re: Off the wall idea.....that could work?!?!

    Quote Originally Posted by zacharync View Post
    What is with the FIRE DUSTY BAKER signature? What don't you like about first place?
    Can we save it for a thread directed at Dusty. We don't need every thread to be over ran by Pro-Dusty vs. Anti-Dusty. This was a Chapman as closer conversation.

  15. #14
    Member mattfeet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,749

    Re: Off the wall idea.....that could work?!?!

    Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    Why would you want him as your closer? Closers are a dime a dozen, we can use Logan O. as a closer. Chapman has the talent to be a nice 2 or 3 guy in our rotation in 2011, no to any thought of closing.
    You're right, the Mariano Rivera's, Trevor Hoffman's (in his prime), K Rod, are a dime a dozen.


    -Matt

  16. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Wheelersburg, Ohio
    Posts
    929

    Re: Off the wall idea.....that could work?!?!

    Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    You're right, the Mariano Rivera's, Trevor Hoffman's (in his prime), K Rod, are a dime a dozen.


    -Matt
    Yeah, remember when everyone said oh let's just move Todd Coffey to closer he can handle it. How did that work out? Pitching in the ninth inning trying to save a ballgame and pitching in the 7th or 8th is as, my buddy brm likes to write, is HUGE difference.

    Closers are not a dime a dozen. It doesn't mean Logan Ondrusek can't ultimately be the closer, but it's not as simple as just saying "hey, he can close, so we'll just put him there."


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25