Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Votto: Triple Crown?

Votto: Triple Crown?

I enjoyed this piece from Jayson Stark's Rumblings & Grumblings column today:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/column...umblings100805

And if the traditional Triple Crown doesn't work out for him, Votto is still on pace to win the "Modern Triple Crown" -- championed by my friend Joe Posnanski over at SI.com. He leads the league in batting, on-base percentage and slugging percentage. And if he can hang on, he'd become just the ninth man in the last half-century to win the all-decimal-point version of the Triple Crown.
    As Votto continues his awesome season, what do people think about his chances of winning the traditional triple crown? The modern triple crown? The double crown?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    High five!

Re: Votto: Triple Crown?

Having a better on-base dude in the 2-spot will help with the RBI total.

I think he might be able to do it.

I think he stands a better chance at the "modern" triple crown. What I'd really like to see him do is win the NL MVP.

I would be okay with the MVP award.
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellow Jackets"

This part is telling IMO.

But even if the Reds' big bopper doesn't win either trifecta, the "Double Crown" Votto is chasing would still land him in some cool company.

It isn't all that rare for a player to win two legs of the Triple Crown. But it's exceptionally rare for a guy to win the two legs Votto has the best shot at -- homers and batting average -- in the same season.

Barry Bonds never did it. Willie Mays never did it. Stan Musial never did it. Not in the same year, anyway. In fact, only three men ever did: Ted Williams in 1941, Johnny Mize in 1939 and Babe Ruth in 1924. Good group. Historic group. And Votto is in excellent position to join them. We'll keep you posted.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 08-05-2010 at 07:46 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Give him an MVP, and he gets EVEN more expensive... Reds need to go ahead and just lock the guy up now... If they haven't been having contract extension talks with him by now, then I'm disappointed...
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

I am hoping he takes the NL MVP, and batting title in route to the Reds going to the postseason. That would satisfy me

He needs to start making up ground on Ryan Howard with Howard on the DL Our pitchers have 6 games in which they have extra motivation to try and blank Pujols too.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

I'd settle for him winning World Series MVP...

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    I'd settle for him winning World Series MVP...

Noooowww yer talking!
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Triple crown is getting tough. Dunn is on fire. 2 more HR tonight and only in the 3rd inning.

Turn Off Ads?