Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bailey is ON FIRE in AAA

Bailey is ON FIRE in AAA

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/n...=.jsp&sid=t416

13.2 straight scoreless innings and 9 strikeouts in tonights game.. Last year he was one of the top pitchers in the majors in the second half.. What do we do with him? I honestly don't know. I don't think you put him in the bullpen.. He's a starter not a bullpen guy.. There is also no way in hell you send Travis Wood back down. Cueto and Arroyo are untouchable. Leake and Volquez have not been as consistent but in no way have they deserved to lose their spot. I know it's a good problem to have but if Bailey is pitching like he did the second half last year, we need him in this rotation for this end of the season run.. IMO ..

What do you all think?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bailey is ON FIRE in AAA

we have so many good pitchers

We gotta get him back in the rotation.Walt will be shutting Leake down at 160IP.So Homer can take his place I would assume.Of course where does Harang fit in?

i dont harang has a spot?

i thought i heard 170 ip maybe more?

Cueto
    Arroyo
    Volquez
    Wood
    Bailey

would be my rotation (assuming the plan is to shut down leake)

Bailey is going to be ready to pitch for the Reds way before Leake's innings are up. Homer probably won't need more than a couple more starts in AAA.

It's an interesting situation for sure. I think Leake is the clear person for him to replace, but I don't know how it happens.

'19 '40 '75 '76 '90

6 man rotation anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Reds View Post
    6 man rotation anyone?

As far fetched as that may have been I don't think that is gonna be too far from the way it's going to go. It might not be a full 6 man rotation but Leakes starts getting skipped more often than not and him doing more long relief would be my guess. It's a great problem to have isn't it???

Quote Originally Posted by Reds View Post
    6 man rotation anyone?
    I was just thinking that. How often does that happen? What would be the pros/cons of having a 6-man rotation in a pennant chase?

I say keep the rotation as is for now, but give Volquez 3 more starts and if he isn't producing, replace him with Bailey. Put Volquez in the bullpen or send him back to AAA.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Never did I ever imagine in my lifetime the Reds would have a problem of having too many quality pitchers for the starting rotation and bullpen. Honestly, I can't remember any team having this problem, ever. Including the big market teams.

I'm flat out amazed at the depth in this organization right now. The 40 man roster is on the verge of having all kinds of problems. There are guys in the minors that have little, if nothing left to prove, with nowhere to go on the major league roster because of the quality of our major league players. It's absolutely nuts.

Gotta give props to Castellini, Jocketty, predecessors O'Brien and Krivsky, and the entire development and scouting departments. It's been a joy watching this organization build a foundation in scouting and development and provide our major league roster with the likes of Cueto, Leake, Wood, Bailey, Hanigan, Corky Miller (yes he was originally signed by the Reds), Votto, Janish, Ondrusek, Jordan Smith, Bruce, Stubbs, Heisey, Francisco...........and any other players I've forgotten that have contributed such as LeCure and Maloney. Simply amazing.

Replace Leake. Mike Leake has been mediocre to bad since the beginning of June. He's ready to be shut down.

'19 '40 '75 '76 '90

Quote Originally Posted by Knightro28 View Post
    I was just thinking that. How often does that happen? What would be the pros/cons of having a 6-man rotation in a pennant chase?
    I happens far less than it's discussed, much like the 4 man rotation. Heck, just 3 years ago Jerry Narron was talking about how much he liked the 4 man rotation because of our lack of depth.

The Reds should and probably will look into a 6 man rotation or at least some type of one. The way the pitching has gone lately they hardly ever have a pitcher go less than 6. The Reds pitchers if they make the playoffs other than Arroyo have never thrown as many innings as they probably will be asked to throw. Its going to help Cueto, and Wood a ton to get them 1 or 2 less starts by the end of the year.

Turn Off Ads?